Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Adam Warlock

Highs and lows.

I must have done something wrong because after bringing Brewer and Shipley to Heljarchen , they disappeared after a few more days.
Mutt and Haldyn were as steadfast as always.

Good thing I had made a save with both of the new ones in it so I can retrieve those 2 claws.
Guess I`ll just run with them for a while and say adios when I`m through.
The erased time did include a test of a respawned Krev the Skinner and as suspected , anchoring did not work with him.

Adam Warlock

Do Dead Thralls use summoning staffs? Mine never uses them.

Can they be healed using the heal used for vampires?

Funny story, You know you're gonna lose a battle, when your cryomancers dual wield forsworn swords and bring out the crossbows you were gonna sell later because AETHERIUM FORGE. haha.
Says at UESPWiki that thralls may be more likely to use summoning staffs if their other weapons are enchanted.

Adam Warlock

On the 4th of Sun`s Dawn , I departed from Skall Village with follower Frea to rescue Ysolda.
I conjured an Ash Spawn to help her out as we worked our way inside to clear Bloodskal Barrow.
After Ysolda left for home , I gave as reward to Frea a new Stalhrim Sword of Subsuming to wield with her original Stalhrim axe and dismissed her.

I took Brewer and Shipley to Whiterun.
Lydia is in the Blades and the family lives at Windstad , so Breezehome is unoccupied.
I gave Brewer the Ebony Claw and Shipley got Ruby.
I left them there on the 8th of Sun`s Dawn.

I eat up testing periods by fast traveling back and forth from Forgotten Vale to Dayspring Canyon.
30 hours for each mercifully short loading screen. Much faster than waiting a day at a time.

I went a bit over the limit(@35 days) just to be sure .
On the 13th of First Seed , I returned to find both unchanged and ready to join my undead army!!

I am one very happy necromancer
Since these 2 failed at lasting a week longer after surviving a 30 day wait , I have returned in time to the 8th of Sun`s Dawn and retrieved Brewer and Shipley.

Since I now know that I`ve got them for the next 30 days , I will use them as I would any of my other perma crew until a few days before they are scheduled to respawn .
I will then return to clear Bloodskal Barrow again to see if that action resets the thrall`s timers in any way.

At this point , I still see an advantage with persistent objects which are much more common than just the Dragon Claws.
If you can get 30 days worth of a Forsworn Ravager or high level Thalmor Wizard for some old worthless note , journal , or other item , that`s a good thing.
Frankly, I`m both too lazy and distracted to keep returning to clear old sites in order to keep a no-name

My current game unfortunately has very few appropriate "non-respawning named NPC" available to be tested for true permanency by anchoring.
My character is not an outright murderer so I would have to role play a situation to justify their death and there`s not much point other than novelty to do this with any NPC who is under level 20.

Does anyone know if that Dunmer bodyguard Slitter in Raven Rock has a permanent corpse or will he require anchoring ?

Adam Warlock

Re: Master Vampires as Dead Thralls(Xbox)

There are 4 levels of them and sometimes it`s hard to tell which kind you have on console.

The most powerful variety is Level 42 and requires Necromage perk for Dead Thrall to work.

Test for confirming that you have the best one is to save your game and cast Dread Zombie on the corpse.
If it resists the spell , it is a level 42 . Congratulations !

If it turns to ash , repeat process by reloading save and use Revenant.
If it resists , it is a fairly powerful Level 31 with @500hp and good magicka and stamina .

Both of these levels will use shock, frost , and life drain spells.

Sadly , Brewer failed this test and was abandoned inside Morvath`s Lair.
Shipley will soldier on to join up with Haldyn for a while

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I have news to report (finally). I have gotten the ritual stone unlimited uses working with the aetherial crown and tested it in combination with Ahzidal's Ring of Necromancy. It works exactly as intended; the bodies raise, explode on damage, and simply fall to the ground without disintegrating. It works best in close quarters against melee enemies, as spell casters and archers down the zombies before they get close enough to do any damage. Unrelenting force can down enemies and give the zombies time to get in range.

The ritual stone / ahzidal's ring works especially well when fighting in a melee to raise downed enemies right next to active ones.

Imrah

My current game unfortunately has very few appropriate "non-respawning named NPC" available to be tested for true permanency by anchoring.
My character is not an outright murderer so I would have to role play a situation to justify their death and there`s not much point other than novelty to do this with any NPC who is under level 20.

Does anyone know if that Dunmer bodyguard Slitter in Raven Rock has a permanent corpse or will he require anchoring ?

I know the feeling. Everyone I want to keep around is already long gone. Commander Maro, the officers onboard the Kateriah, Eola, Chief Yamarz, and many others perished in failed perma testing. Fortunately some like Lokil and the respawning named bandits have since rejoined me.

As for Slitter and his boss Mogrul, niether are perma. They died swift deaths for having the audacity to try and extort the dragonborn. They might be anchorable but I would have to trial in one of my other game files.

Says at UESPWiki that thralls may be more likely to use summoning staffs if their other weapons are enchanted.
has this been tested? i took a look at it too before. doesn't seem to change anything.. still no summons.. do you think that this is mod related..? because i tried it without all mods, didn't do a thing either. maybe if i change the staff? i use storm atro staff.

Adam Warlock

has this been tested? i took a look at it too before. doesn't seem to change anything.. still no summons.. do you think that this is mod related..? because i tried it without all mods, didn't do a thing either. maybe if i change the staff? i use storm atro staff.

While all my DT will use Atronach staffs , I have noticed that they tend to use them more if the enemy is strong or large in number.
Often with single or weaker foes , they will rely on the powerful weapons I have provided them.

Try a Staff of Familars with no other weapons.
If they won`t use that one , then it`s definitely a bug.

Perhaps one of our PC playing readers can help ?
idk a thing about mods

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Several questions if someone would be so kind as to answer them:

Can werewolves be dead thralled? I know that the ones in Silver Hand dungeons can't be, but do Sinding or the roaming packs added with Dawnguard work?

Also, if you have the twin souls perk will a staff of flame atronarch or zombies be able to summon 2 atronarchs or raise 2 zombies without dismissing the prior?

Adam Warlock

I think you can use
Several questions if someone would be so kind as to answer them:

Can werewolves be dead thralled? I know that the ones in Silver Hand dungeons can't be, but do Sinding or the roaming packs added with Dawnguard work?

Also, if you have the twin souls perk will a staff of flame atronarch or zombies be able to summon 2 atronarchs or raise 2 zombies without dismissing the prior?
You can only use Dead Thrall on a werewolf when it is in human form , such as some of the Companions or members of the Frostmoon pack.
The Beast Form like Sinding`s may be raised with Ritual Stone power repeatedly or with a raising spell that affects creatures(destroys body).

You can have a Conjured Werebear with the Beast Stone Power(Dragonborn DLC) .

To have a furry Werewolf minion, you must complete Totems of Hircine quest for the Totem of Brotherhood.
Then you must obtain the Werewolf perk Totem of the Moon.
When you are in Beast Form , your howl will summons werewolf.

You can summons/raise most any two minions with staffs or spells if you have Twin Souls.
Notable exceptions which only go solo include Seekers and Ash Spawn

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I think you can use

You can only use Dead Thrall on a werewolf when it is in human form , such as some of the Companions or members of the Frostmoon pack.
The Beast Form like Sinding`s may be raised with Ritual Stone power repeatedly or with a raising spell that affects creatures(destroys body).

You can have a Conjured Werebear with the Beast Stone Power(Dragonborn DLC) .

To have a furry Werewolf minion, you must complete Totems of Hircine quest for the Totem of Brotherhood.
Then you must obtain the Werewolf perk Totem of the Moon.
When you are in Beast Form , your howl will summons werewolf.

You can summons/raise most any two minions with staffs or spells if you have Twin Souls.
Notable exceptions which only go solo include Seekers and Ash Spawn

Thanks! I was just thinking that a staff might be limited to summoning one of X per staff.

It's a shame that we can't raise transformed werewolves, will the humanoid werewolves transform after they are raised? I know that a were bear in human form won't, but will a dead thralled farmer-werewolf or hunter-werewolf? That'd make the coolest thrall.

Adam Warlock

Thanks! I was just thinking that a staff might be limited to summoning one of X per staff.

It's a shame that we can't raise transformed werewolves, will the humanoid werewolves transform after they are raised? I know that a were bear in human form won't, but will a dead thralled farmer-werewolf or hunter-werewolf? That'd make the coolest thrall.
One method I`ve read about but not used involves the restoration alchemy glitch and Vampire`s Servant power.
For instance , if you have a Fortify CONJURATION potion of 134,000 % and take same before using Vampire`s Servant as a stage 4 vampire , then any powerful werewolf/creature that succumbs to the spell will last 100 days if not killed before that time.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
One method I`ve read about but not used involves the restoration alchemy glitch and Vampire`s Servant power.
For instance , if you have a Fortify Alteration potion of 134,000 % and take same before using Vampire`s Servant as a stage 4 vampire , then any powerful werewolf/creature that succumbs to the spell will last 100 days if not killed before that time.

That's very interesting... I'll have to try that someday.

Adam Warlock

For instance , if you have a Fortify CONJURATION potion of 134,000 % and take same before using Vampire`s Servant as a stage 4 vampire , then any powerful werewolf/creature that succumbs to the spell will last 100 days if not killed before that time.
corrected

Adam Warlock

Torvar , like Ria, respawned alive and ready to follow again after a suffiently long time away from Whiterun and the Companions.

New non-moaning Master Vampire(lvl 42 Dunmer) is nicknamed Geoff and has joined as partner with Mutt.
Currently anchored with a Letter from the Vampire , we`ll see how long this one sticks around.

Adam Warlock

Big day today as I now have a follower who has their very own Dead Thrall !!!

I was combing my libraries for persistent documents to anchor my corpse experiments and I came upon a Scroll of Dead Thrall gathering dust.
I gave same to follower Erandur and took him to Cracked Tusk Keep where I was stashing my permanent corspe warrior types.
A dragon attacked there and Erandur used the scroll to raise one of my 2h Orcs(lvl 14 from Nilheim) as his permanent companion !
Due to some scrolls planted on the Orc beforehand , we also had a Bandit`s Storm Atronach available during the fight ! (Miraak stole the dragon`s soul but I was so elated I didn`t care a bit)

"Erandur`s Bandit" is wearing Legendary Fur kilt ,bracers , and shoes and wields a Stalhrim bow(frost+chaos) and Stalhrim Greatsword of the Vampire.

Most amazing of all , the Bandit doesn`t moan while serving Erandur although he was a terrible groaner when I used him.

Adam Warlock

Big day today as I now have a follower who has their very own Dead Thrall !!!

I was combing my libraries for persistent documents to anchor my corpse experiments and I came upon a Scroll of Dead Thrall gathering dust.
I gave same to follower Erandur and took him to Cracked Tusk Keep where I was stashing my permanent corspe warrior types.
A dragon attacked there and Erandur used the scroll to raise one of my 2h Orcs(lvl 14 from Nilheim) as his permanent companion !
Due to some scrolls planted on the Orc beforehand , we also had a Bandit`s Storm Atronach available during the fight ! (Miraak stole the dragon`s soul but I was so elated I didn`t care a bit)

"Erandur`s Bandit" is wearing Legendary Fur kilt ,bracers , and shoes and wields a Stalhrim bow(frost+chaos) and Stalhrim Greatsword of the Vampire.

Most amazing of all , the Bandit doesn`t moan while serving Erandur although he was a terrible groaner when I used him.
Tests reveal that while the timer doesn`t expire like Dread Zombie , your follower`s spell does not survive a transition screen(door/fast-travel) and the thrall will expire without turning to ash.

Still a great scroll for a follower who will use them.

Raises only people but works up to level 15 which may be short of Serana`s Revenant spell but is higher than any other staff or scroll.
Erandur already has a Staff of Dread Zombies which he will use occasionally , mostly on creatures.

I suppose I could play hardcore traveling and always leave Erandur outside with his thrall in order to preserve it`s status as his minion if I desired.

At any rate , I`m giving these scrolls to all of my followers with conjuration skills to see what thay do.

Adam Warlock

^Big Thumbs up for Scroll of Dead Thrall despite it`s limitations !

Erandur raises bandits like nobody`s buisness now that he has these.

Watching him cast this master spell is a whole new aspect of playing with him although the spell will occasionally fail if he is staggered before completing it.

His minions are typically killed quickly by their higher ranked foes but Erandur just raises another.(2 thugs ,1 highwayman at one camp)

For anyone who has despaired that their non-Serana followers can`t be necromancers , this may be the answer for you

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Do thralls deplete scrolls / potions upon use?