• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Gentleman Adventurer

A True Gentleman
    Once they struggled, hammered, cried
    Fought for justice, honor, pride.
    Now from time and tide released
    They guard and serve in silent peace.
    berne__s_deception_by_hieronymus7zd3qyiu1.jpg

The Ideal Masters. Once a group of mortal necromancers, they used their knowledge of dark magic to create a new realm of Oblivion, the infamous Soul Cairn. They become god-like, beings who could walk in both Oblivion and Mundus, immortal and omnipresent, rulers of lost souls. Some say the experience drove them mad, and they believed their existence was paradise. A peaceful realm, where no one died, and no one was born.​
    In time, they grew bored, tired of toying with the same subjects over and over. So they began to branch out. They contacted the sorcerers and warlords of Tamriel, offering them their heart's desire in exchange for a small price...their souls. For millennia, the Ideal Masters kept their realm subdued, using force when needed. Any souls who attempted an escape were quickly and quietly disposed of by the dreaded guardsman known as The Reaper, deemed threats to the "paradise" of the Soul Cairn. One day, a young elf sought the Masters out in his search for power. He pledged his soul to them in the event of his death, claiming to accept his fate. What the Masters didn't realize, however, was that this elf was manipulating them.​
    Now, that elf, Relyn Telvayn, has finally met his end. And his last and greatest plan will finally come to pass: escape from death itself. And he has sought out a few other souls to bring along for the ride...​
    Cast
    Gentleman Adventurer as: Relyn Telvayn
    Delusional as: Dante
    Blackdoom59 as: Phyrior
    PLEASE READ ALL TEXT BELOW
    This is my first ever roleplay, and one I have been working on for quite some time. It will be fairly plot-heavy, and focus on dramatic tension, character development, and complex history. If you are accepted, your character will need to use every skill they have at their disposal, due to lack of weapons and armor. I also expect at least basic knowledge of Elder Scrolls lore. I will explain most things if asked, but I don't want to waste time talking about gameplay features that weren't included in Skyrim.
    I will be very particular at who is accepted into this roleplay. I will be looking for roleplayers with good grammar, and the time to post regularly. I do not want this RP to die. I also apologize in advance if your application is not accepted. It is in no way a reflection of personal bias or a reflection of your skill as a roleplayer. If you wish to apply, please follow the rules below.​
    All characters are souls trapped in the soul cairn.​
    Rules and Other Info
    Please read everything below carefully before applying.
    1. All general forum, and role play rules apply.
    2. Power playing (or, "god modding") will not be tolerated. Give your character reasonable abilities and skills. Do not make them knowledgeable of information they cannot possibly know. A realistic character with believable flaws is much more likable and interesting. Remember that in this RP, characters will be even weaker than normal.​
    3. Please try to remain active in the thread. Post regularly, at the very least once every other day. If you need to leave for any amount of time, please be sure to let me know. DO NOT apply if you cannot commit or think you will drop out at a later date. There are enough half-finished and abandoned roleplays out there. If you have an emergency, or are going away for a few days, please take the time to inform me so that I may plan accordingly.
    4. Be fair to your fellow role players. Try to make sure all participants are included.
    5. Please keep all posts consistent with the content and lore of The Elder Scrolls. I will be double checking this. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.​
    6. Please try to use proper spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. Type your posts in a word processor for proof reading if it will help. This makes posts easier and better to read. I will be expecting this of all players, so please keep that in mind when applying.
    7. Be tolerant of other role players. No fighting, and no offensive materiel. I can and will ask you to leave the thread.​
    8. Please try to keep all OOC discussions of real world politics and religion to a minimum. It can make things uncomfortable for other role players.​
    9. I would prefer that players in this story be only involved in 2 or 3 other roleplays simultaneously. Simply for the fact that posts are generally of better quality when there are fewer obligations for the player.
    10. Player involvement will be capped at a maximum of 5 players, including myself. Again, do not apply if you feel you will not be able to make it to the end of this RP.
    Application
    Name:
    Race: [Within the constraints of the Elder Scrolls.]
    Occupation: [Include the occupation or “class” your character can be associated with.]
    Birthplace:
    Current Residence:
    Appearance: [Include a photo or screen shot if you like, but please include at least 3-5 sentences detailing your character's appearance.]
    Personality: [Include at least a paragraph detailing your character's personality. Likes and dislikes, skills and weaknesses, etc.]
    History: [Include as absolutely much as possible about your character's history. Who he/she is as a person, how they came to be who and where they are, and why. Please include a reasonable explanation as to why they currently reside in the Soul Cairn.]
    Roleplaying Sample: [Include here 5 - 10 sentences that display your roleplaying style for me, so I can get a feel for how you write. Try your best to include things like dialogue, or an interaction. This can be taken from a previous roleplay post, fanfiction, or other writing of yours if you so choose.]

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
    Looks awesome. I will put in a CC for this. One question though, for clarification. Since your character is deceased, and a soul attempting to manipulate the Ideal Masters, does that mean that our characters are other souls trapped in the Soul Cairn, who join up with Relyn so they could possibly free themselves of the hell of the Soul Cairn?

Delusional

It was pretty clear, I was just double-triple checking. I'll get a CC up here sometime soon.

Delusional

Hope this suffices. Wasn't very inspired the past few days, so it isn't my best.

Name: Dante
    Race: Redguard
    Class: Sword-for-Hire / Mercenary / Sellsword
    Birthplace: Skaven, Hammerfell
    Current Residence: Soul Cairn
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Afflictions: Vampirism

Appearance

Dante is of a bulkier stature, standing at around 5’11”, with a fairly muscular body. He is much larger than most people of his height, but this does not inhibit his movement. He is rather agile and quick for being as large as he is which comes as a surprise to many. Dante’s head is shaved, and the only hair he has on his head, or face, is a very long goatee, passing his chin by several inches. His eyes are a deep red, one of the customary eye colors of vampires.

Dante prefers to wear light leather armor, favoring attire that allows him maximum mobility while still providing decent protection. His own set of leather armor has been crafted with special black leather, a material that his clan of vampires uses often. His armor set is quite worn from extensive use, but Dante does a fairly decent job of maintaining and repairing it. He wears no headgear, other than occasionally donning a hood and even a cloth face mask in inclement weather.

Personality

Dante is an enigma, to say the least. He does not speak much, preferring to stay quiet and observe. When he does speak, he often comes off as rash, or insulting, even sarcastic. He is quick to anger, perhaps the reason why he prefers to stay out of discussions. Dante is very hard-shelled, and it takes effort to gain his trust, or even initiate a discussion with him.

Dante is skilled in the use of shortswords or other one-handed weapons, particularly dual wielding. He can also use two-handed greatswords fairly well, but archery and magic are unknown skills to him. For weapons, Dante is equipped with two obsidian-bladed scimitars, the regular steel replaced with a brittle, jagged-edged blade of obsidian-like midnight steel. This specially crafted blade is easier to break, but painful and effective; quick to kill. He also has several concealed daggers, used for both stabbing and throwing, each dagger also crafted with obsidian steel blades.

History

Dante was born in Skaven, Hammerfell. He never knew his parents, and he only remembers being an orphan. As an orphan on the streets of Skaven, Dante was forced to learn how to survive or die. He chose the former, and became self-sufficient at a fairly young age.

One gloomy day, Dante was mugged by a band of thieves, who stole away all of his meager possessions and nearly beat him to death. Beaten to a pulp, bloody and weak, Dante was left out to die in a back alley. However, a group of several Redguard men and women with luminescent eyes discovered him, and took him in as one of their own.

After being nursed back to health, Dante learned that the people that picked him up off the streets were members of a local vampire clan. They gave the young Redguard, in his teen years, the option to leave their sanctuary peacefully and return to the life of an orphaned, homeless beggar, or become one of them. Grateful for the help of the vampires, Dante chose to become a vampire and a part of their clan. He accepted the gift of vampirism with open arms, and has never forsaken it, always remembering what his kin did for him in his time of need.

After several years of living in the secure, hidden vampire sanctuary with his kin, honing his skills with his sword, he decided to begin earning coin for himself and for his clan by selling his services as a sword-for-hire. Dante would leave the sanctuary for extended periods of time while out on jobs, but always returned home with plenty of septims for his kin.

Many years passed, and the clan of Redguard vampires lived contently in secrecy, and Dante worked contently as a sellsword. However, one of the vampires in their clan had been involved in some very deep research into necromantic rituals and gathered the clan together in order to perform one of these rituals, promising enhanced vampiric powers and strength, along with bolstered resistance to the agonizing sun.

All members of the clan were happy to oblige and partake in such a ritual, hoping for enhanced powers and resistance. However, the ritual went awry for some reason, and several of the vampires in the clan died, their souls devoured by the myriad of soul gems surrounding the ritual.

Dante was one of those vampires. Since that damning ritual, he has been trapped in the Soul Cairn, wandering aimlessly, wishing for a way out and a way to return to his former life.

Roleplaying Sample

(Okay, I’m not in the mood to write out a sample, and am not very creatively inspired currently, so here’s a passage from Tensions Rising, a roleplay of my own, using a different character, since Dante is a roleplay-specific character, and felt no motivation to write an except for him. Link to roleplay is in signature, if you wish.)

The sun beat down on the slaves as they toiled away, their labor unending. Alexandra heaved a large, cut stone into place and stumbled backwards, lifting a hand to her forehead to wipe the sweat that caked her face. She bent over, her lungs gasping for more air. Her eyes closed, and for an instant, the pain was gone.

However, that was short-lived. A swath of pain enveloped her back; Alexandra nearly fell over onto the wooden scaffold.

"Up! Up with you! There is work to be done, slave!" A second impact, this time in the ribs, brought stars to Alex's closed eyes, and threw her onto the wooden platform. Her eyes snapped open, but the guard had already departed, gilded armor glistening with sunlight, leaving to punish more weary slaves. The young Imperial slowly hoisted herself off the scaffold, each movement a labor, each breath a gasp.

Alexandra's eyes searched the surrounding scaffolds and platforms and ramps for guards; she saw none. She set her hands on her hips, still breathing heavily, and Alex turned to survey the work site.

Colossal stone platforms had been set first, creating a man-made plateau of rock adjacent to the lapping waters. Upon these platforms rose massive towers, surrounded with shaky wooden scaffolds and poorly set platforms used by the slaves to continue building the towers higher. Alex had no idea what these towers were intended to be used for; she preferred to keep it that way.

As Alex gazed upon the stone monoliths, the light of the sun seemed to grow brighter. Is this some torturous elvish magic? Alex spun rapidly, frantically searching for the blinding glow. Her eyes narrowed to a squint, a futile attempt to block out the light. Her hands rose to her face to shield her eyes.

Suddenly, it disappeared. Slowly, she lowered her hands and opened her throbbing eyes. Mystified, she gazed across the constructs, slaves hard at work, elvish overlords lazily waddling from platform to platform, eager to beat another slave with their mailed fists.

...what the hell? Alexandra saw nothing, the scenery around her the exact same as it was before the episode of blinding light. Her mind raced with confusion, so preoccupied that she nearly missed the piercing sound of the shift bell, signalling a brief break for the current laborers. The Imperial stumbled down the scaffolds onto the ground, still dazed.

"By the Nine, what's wrong with you?" Daniel's voice reached out and shook Alex violently; withdrawing her from the confused daze she had been in. "Hey, Alex! You alright?”

"Yes, yes, I'm fine..." Her voice trailed off, her mind trying to piece together the enigma that was the unknown glow, the glow that nearly took her eyesight from her.

"...I'm fine..."

Delusional

The red of the CC, please.

Delusional

frabz-well-Now-we-wait-5fbbe5.jpg

Delusional

Oh and I think that CC was my 500th post. yay me

Colonelscout312

The Descendant of Tiber Septim.
    Looking for a rp for while I wait for mine to get active again. Here is my character card:

Name: Nomad War-Blade
    Sex: Male
    Race: Nord
    Birthplace: Whiterun
    Current Residence: Nowhere.
    Appearance: White skinned and pale, with long brown hair and blue eyes. He has a thin short beard. He is around 6 feet tall and is fairly muscular. He normally wears a stormcloak cuirass.
    Personality: Grim, but can crack a joke. He likes Music, Books, and kids. He also likes the stormcloaks. He dislikes the Thalmor and the Empire.
    History: The ideal masters. Nomad, quite a fitting name for our hero, for, ever since he was ten, he has wandered all of tamriel. He lived with his parents in whiterun. He thrived there. He became famous among the people of whiterun. For he was directly related to Tiber septum from his father. This, unfortunately, would also bring terrible hardship for him ahead. When the Thalmor invaded skyrim in The Great War, his parents were killed. He was ten at the time. He fled for Cyrodiil, and began to fight in the arena to make money. He won, several times. It was in Cyrodiil that he met a high elf, one who despised the thalmor, despite his relation to them. His name, was Runsultare, he was training to be a mage. The two soon became close friends. At age 16 Nomad joined the dark brotherhood. Runsultare had no idea of this, and thus, there friendship started to strain. Nomad carried out several contracts, several were against the imperials. Nomad began to despise the empire, he hated that they had signed the treaty with the thalmor, the White-Gold Concordance. His time working with the dark brotherhood ended, when they accepted a contract to kill Runsultare. He warned Runsultare and they fled for Hammerfell. They began the trade of bounty hunting. They carried out several jobs. They soon decided to move to skyrim. The empire, took them prisoner and began an execution. It was then that helgen was destroyed. Nomad then learned the way of the tu'um and joined the stormcloaks, Where he met with Runsultare again. they fought until the end of the war. Nomad then returned home and then joined the companions and began adventuring again. He is currently trying to find love and settle down and beat the daedra. He was captured by the dark brotherhood and taken to the ideal masters And And put in the soul cairn.
    Roleplaying Sample: Nomad awoke. 'Where in the world… Oh right, I'm not in the world'
    He recalled what happened and that he was "killed" by the ideal masters. There had to be a way out of here. He would have to explain a lot of things to Llia when he returned. His heart saddened at the thought of her, his love. He would return for her.

Gentleman Adventurer

A True Gentleman
    Sorry, your character as he is doesn't seem well suited for this RP. I'd keep looking though, there's always something to do around here. :)

Colonelscout312

The Descendant of Tiber Septim.
    Ok, thanks anyway.

Delusional

Well, sheeet... any plans, GA? Or are we just going to wait it out?

Gentleman Adventurer

A True Gentleman
    I think waiting would be the best choice here. If all else fails, I could just write this up as a fanfic.

To be fair, though, this thread has only been up for a few days.

Delusional

Very true.

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
    Well here is my CC , proud gentlemen
    (Nick)Name: Phyrior
    Sex:Male
    Race: Altmer-Redguard Halfbreed
    Occupations: Mercenary, Priest, Mage, Researcher
    Birthplace: Old Falls, a village from the Summerset Isles
    Current Residence: A small shed near Winterhold
    Alliances or Affiliations: College of Winterhold, Nightingales.
    Appearance: Tall, red skinned, red eyes, black hair, slightly muscular, little facial hair.Is dressed in black robes with halved moon symbols on chest and shoulders , that also comes with a hood that can be taken off anytime.A silver circlet with a halved moon symbol in the middle, unable to bee seen if the hood is on. His equipment gives him bonus magicka , magicka regeneration and great reduction to restoration , illusion and destruction
    Personality: Phyrior is usually quiet , he does not talk unless it's important and keeps to himself.He is usually friendly , however he hardly shares anything about himself and is always curious about other people. Phyrior's belief in divines is dimminished , as he worships the daedric princess Nocturnal.He reads lots of books so he knows a lot about the world. He does not like or dislike anything in particular.
    History: Phyrior's story relates back to his parents' story. His father was a redguard while his mother was an altmer. They were both farmers in Holly Falls, a village near Sunhold in the Summerset Isles.His father was executed for illegal worship of Satakal(the redguard god) while his mother was pregnant. She wanted to go to Hammerfell to tell her mother in law what happened, however in Old Falls , another village of Summerset Isles she gave birth to her son.Due to multiple physical and mental diseases, she deid after giving birth.

Phyrior was picked by an orphanage in Alinor , the capital of Summerset Isles where he lived 15 years of his life.Since his mother didn't have time to name him , the ladies and orphans used to call him "slave" and make fun of him for being a half-breed. Phyrior's childhood was filled with hate towards the altmer, since they shared no love for him. Phyrior used to sneak up in the library and pick off books to read , since that was the only thing he truly enjoyed. One day he stumbled upon a basic spell book- "Flames". Upon reading it Phyrior awakened his magical powers. That night, the other orphans made fun of him , just as always. The lady who took care of them just watched and laughed. Phyrior was angry , and his anger turned to flame.He lifted his hand towards the orphan who insulted him ,and flames came out.The whole orphanage was set on fire and Phyrior was amazed of the power he held. The lady there dragged him and a few other orphans out , just before the orphanage turned to dust , with most of the orphans stuck inside to burn alive.That's how Phyrior gained his name, from the terror of the orphans who wronged him.

The local authorities must have dealt with the situation somehow.Since Phyrior was a minor and immune to law, they decided to exile him out of Summerset Isles , giving him a boat to travel to Cyrodill. He set up in Kvatch, a town where a wealthy noble was hiring servants. Phyrior happened to came at the right time ,and for 2 years he was a servant in that noble's house.

However he did not like it like that , life was boring , however he could not save money and go anywhere else.He met a 25 year old bosmer there, who shared his thoughts. Jael owned a small house there, and he would sell it and travel with Phyrior , if Phyrior would show him a little bit about magic.So it was , they left and set out for adventure. During their travels they found more spell books , and they shared the knowledge , becoming equally strong adept level mages. Jael was Phyrior's first friend, Phyrior would have died for him without giving thoughts about it.

A year of travelling and adventure passed , Phyrior was 18 years old. After doing so many jobs as bounty hunters , mercenaries and priests , Phyrior and Jael had their pockets full. They traveled to Valenwood one day , where they met a female bosmer who also wanted to learn more about magic and travel with them. They gladly accepted her and Jael choose to be her teacher. He felt in love with her shortly after.That love, however, wasn't shared by the girl.The girl would choose to have Phyrior teach her rather than Jael. Jael was jealous , he could see how much affection the girl showed towards Phyrior. Phyrior did not knew Jael liked her, and even if he did maintained a relationship with the girl, he did so privately , never showing Jael they are together.

After another year Jael made his move.One night when they camped in a forest he stabbed Phyrior in the chest and left him threw him in the woods, leaving a note to his body that said he wanted Jael and the girl to join together. The girl found the body and red the note with tears on her face.That however , was not Phyrior's end. He was found by a priest of some sorts who took care of him. Phyrior and the priest became friends , and Phyrior wanted to leave the past behind and become a pilgrim of Nocturnal , just like the priest was. They traveled to Skyrim, where they were to find a temple of Nocturnal.

On the borders of Skyrim , Jael showed up with about 5 mercenaries. Phyrior's heart was filled with hate and anger , he threw a firebolt at the pilgrim , sealing his fate and he threw a frenzy spell at Jael and his mercenaries. Jael resisted, but his mercenaries attacked him and eachother. Jael took care of them , but was wounded severely and depleted of magicka. He turned back when he was blinded by lightning bolt send by Phyrior. Phyrior walked up to his still breathing corpse with a few sticks and vines from that he gathered from the forest.He threw the sticks and tinder on his body and set it on fire. Jael screamed as hard as he could , his voiced echoed in the forest as Phyrior took the robe from the Pilgrim's body and gone to the temple.

He completed the trails and became more then just a pilgrim, he became a more then just a nightingale. He became the champion of Nocturnal . He was 20 years old and he left the temple in order to go to the College of Winterhold to learn more about magic. He kept his nightingale powers a secret as he studied multiple kind of magick and honed his powers to a sharp point.He had no friends at the college, he refused to talk to anybody unless that was a most. In those 2 years of learning , he also studied daedric language and daedric symbols. After he left the college , he wanted to fight the champions of other daedric princes.He started with the easy ones , who felt easily, but as he challenged one of the strongest champions out there , he was trapped in the soul cairn. It wasn't so bad , tough , since Soul Cairn was just one plain of Oblivion , he could go to Evergloam and try to contact nocturnal to return to Tamriel , since he was fighting for her , in the first place. However after a few weeks in Soul Cairn he found out that there was no escape from it ,not to Tamriel , not to Oblivion , so he just hoped something would happen and he will get out.

Magic:
    Master:Firestorm, Mayhem, Bane of the Undead
    Expert:Incinerate, Wall of Flames, Grand healing, Invisibilty
    Adept:Fireball, Chain Lightning,Close wounds , heal other , greater ward, Vampire's bane, Frenzy, Frenzy rune
    Below Adept:Fire rune, Fire bolt, Lightning bolt, Flames, Healing, Lesser ward, Fast healing, healing hands, steadfast ward, Clairvoyance, Fury , Muffle

Roleplaying Sample:
    It was a quiet night and Phyrior was sleeping peacefully in his shed. He dreamed about the college , wondering if it was a good idea to left. In the peace of the night you could not hear anything other then the fascinating sounds of nature. The owl whistles in the dark while the wind blows the trees. However the owl stopped to whistle as the door started making noises. It was clear for Phyrior , someone was picking the lock. He remained calm and steady , casting muffle
    and invisibility.

The door opened , 3 bandits went inside while the leader remained outside to check if anyone is comming. Phyrior climed the exited through the window and climbed to the top of the shack while still remaining unseen. One of the bandits said "There is no one here , this is house is abbandoned!". The leader responded with haste "Search the house already, before someone shows up.

Another voice from the house could strongly be heard , it was full of despair and fear "By Shor , a daedric book"! The leader rushed in the house to see what was going on , Phyrior climed down from the roof and looked from the window to see what's happening.He was dressed only in some tavern clothes , while having no footwear.The leader hit the bandit in fun , and said "Pff , those are just daedric letters you idiot , it's not a daedra will come out of the book".

Phyrior took another look then readied his arms. His left arm was engulfed in lightning while his right arm was red with illusion magic.His lightning broke the window and made a chain between the bandits , then his illusion made most of them fight each other.

The leader was enraged as he ran outside to catch Phyrior. Phyrior wasn't however ready for a fight with an experienced fighter , so he tried to hide as an arrow hit his back. Phyrior was filled with pain but that did not sop him from turning around to see the leader who moved next to him , taking his sword out and charging at Phyrior shouting. Phyrior kept his calm and used the nightingale strifle power which drained the bandit of his health while Phyrior recovered.The bandit fell to the ground , with his body left without blood. Phyrior looked the bandit in his eyes and threw a lightning bolt at him , depleting him of life. There was one bandit survivor in the house , who was clinging to survive but Phyrior took his sword and chopped his head off. Throwing the bodies in a lake nearby , he came back to his shed and gone to sleep , reminding himself that while Nocturnal is with him , he will always be successful.

Gentleman Adventurer

A True Gentleman
    Alright, you're in. But I have to ask you two things:

1. Your grammar is, for the most part, good. But I'd ask you to just look at the posts of some other people on here to help with your text spacing and use of punctuation. (I was pretty much the same way when I started out, and learning from examples helped me a lot.)

2. This one is optional, but do you think, maybe, you could remove the gif from your signature? As much as I enjoy Nicholas Cage, I find gifs in signatures to be distracting, especially during IC threads.

Also, nice touch with the Evergloam thing. In Battlespire, you actually use the Ideal Master's gateway to pass into the realm of Nocturnal.