• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Stutta

Children of the Alik’r are raised to fear the restless spirits of the dunes, for it is not the way of Satakal to allow one to remain after His cleansing. The whispers of un-dead which had filled the tavern worried Cyrus. He shuttered thinking he had let down his guard the previous night in the presence of an abomination. He would check the house and the cemetery above, for he had been taught by the shaman that a spirit must have a vessel. He gathered his wits and courage as he prayed to Tava. In the midst of leaving his room, a booming yell from the bar caught him off guard.

“Well, well. If it isn’t the red-skin with fists of steel!”

The glow of Benor’s cheeks revealed that he had been drinking since the end of his shift. Cyrus didn’t appreciate the distraction, but he knew better than to disrespect a local in his tavern. He stared at Benor, unwilling to lose the focus that his mistress had granted him.

“Where ya headed at this hour night-prowler? All the doors are locked, you won’t find anything to take,” he followed with a laugh that filled the small room.

“The grounds of Hroggar and the burial site of Mort’al. For there lie secrets.”

“Secrets, ha! Well I’ve just spent my last septim thanks to our little bout earlier and all of a sudden I’m in the mood for breaking something. Plus, it couldn’t hurt to keep an eye on this one,” he guffawed as he looked around the bar.

Cyrus had no qualms over having an extra weapon on his side, so the two ventured forth together. As they approached the house, Benor hung back, his many pints taking their toll. Cyrus could see a slight glow emanating from the left corner of the house. He crept up, iron dagger in hand, prepared for battle. As he crossed the threshold, Cyrus lunged at the spirit, but to no avail. His point pierced nothing but the burnt wall behind it, he stumbled back, fearful that he’d been caught in a trap. He heard the spirit release a giggle at his bewilderment. It was but a little girl.

“Let’s play a game,” she laughed. “Try and find me!” With that, she disappeared.

Cyrus cursed under his breath. Ghosts, spirits, wraiths, even in the heat of the desert, they all sent shivers down his back. The mysteries of this marsh seemed endless. He left the house, looking to explain the situation to his drunken friend. Benor was nowhere close by but he could make out a distant figure standing on the edge of the dock, urinating whilst whistling a horrid tune being played in the nearby inn. “Benor,” Cyrus muttered. He pitied a man without purpose, for his own gave him strength. He continued the march to the cemetery without the drunkard, not bothered to interrupt a man absorbed by his own thoughts.

Spotting the shadow of a silhouette against the cliff side, the Redguard dropped to his stomach, cursing the thin fabric of his rough tunic. He swore to find better clothes in the near future. An unknown incantation began to echo from the cemetery. Cyrus, again, readied his dagger and prepared a healing spell which his protector had once taught him. He stood up and called out, “In the name of Satakal, reveal yourself!” The creature appeared human but turned and emitted a seething hiss when it caught sight of the intruder. It charged before Cyrus knew what to do. He swiped with his dagger. But the cut closed nearly as quickly as it was opened. He felt the warmth of the vampiric spell emanating from the beast's hand sapping his life force. The Ra Gada countered with his own spell, restoring what was taken. As he struggled to power his defense, he could not figure an escape. As he was slowly drained he thought to himself, “I have failed my clan, my people,” and whispered, “Forgive me forefathers.” His own power was not enough to overcome his foe’s. He sank to his knees, no longer possessing the strength to stand. Embracing his mistress, he looked to the stars above, where he caught a glint of steel, Benor’s hammer. It dropped from the heavens, snapping the creature’s spine in half with a thunderous blow, saving Cyrus’ life. The Nord stumbled to the side then helped the Redguard up, placed a rough, massive palm on the back of his neck and slurred, “Friend.” With that, he returned to the tavern.

Cyrus was shocked, unsure whether to thank Tava or the mead from Moorside Inn. He managed to prop himself up and gaze into the pit. The spirit from the house emerged, with a smile on its face. As before, it laughed, and explained that the vampire wanted to play her game forever. It revealed the creature's name. Cyrus had heard before of this Laelette which now lay dead at his feet. He had heard a man at the mill speaking of his lost wife by the same name, and so the story was woven. He would investigate further after a good night’s sleep.

Cyrus pitied the man whom he would confront. The curse of undeath is feared and loathed among the nomads of the Alik’r and there is no worse fate than to become what is not. Cyrus spoke with Thonnir about Laelette, and piercing through the man’s grief he was led to believe that Alva, Hroggar’s lover, was likely at the center of the marsh town’s curse. He strode across town, anxious to repay his debt to the Jarl. Knocking on the door received no response, and without a lock pick he found himself stranded for he could not very well knock down the door in broad daylight. The honor of his family could not be upheld while he bore the burden debt. Seating himself on the steps to Alva’s house, he pondered his next move. He could think of no solution other than a trip to Solitude, the nearby city which Idgrod had spoken of. He would need supplies and enough coin to purchase the many goods he had been unable to find in Morthal. His arms would tire once more as he spent the rest of the afternoon laboring at the mill.

As the day drew to a close, his pockets full of coin and his recent near death experience still on his mind, Cyrus knocked at the door of the wizard he’d heard of at the inn. Unlike the people of Morthal or many of his countrymen, Cyrus possessed a curiosity regarding the workings of the occult. For much of his youth, he’d been raised by a nomadic shaman, his protector. He had learned much, but very little that could be useful in battle. The hut was cluttered with magical items, potions and curiosities. Cyrus couldn’t help but to sate his curiosity by examining the shelves running from wall to wall. He’d never seen such a collection, not even under his protector’s tent.

The two outsiders conversed for quite some time. They spoke of the townspeople and their apprehension towards foreigners and anything unknown. They spoke of the divines and of the occult, and they spoke of the young orphan that Falion had taken in, one who reminded Cyrus of himself at another age. As the moon rose high above the marsh, Cyrus left with a spell tome he intended to study late in to the night. Returning to the inn, he wanted nothing more than a warm meal and bed. But this was not to be.

Curiously, in the corner of the tavern, he saw the man he believed to be Idgrod’s bodyguard. “A protector who leaves his subject’s side is of little use, and a useless man is usually waiting for something,” thought Cyrus suspiciously as he approached the housecarl. Catching his eye, he pulled out a stool next to him.

“I’m beginning to doubt Jarl Idgrod’s ability to lead,” began the Housecarl. Cyrus was intrigued by the man’s openness but kept his mouth shut, wondering where this would lead. “Since your new here, with few allegiances, I was hoping you could do me a favor. I could make it worth your while.”

“Of what would this favor concern itself?” Cyrus ventured.

“Simply the delivery of a message to a captain in Solitude. But – it would require some discretion. I’d rather you not open the letter.”

Cyrus agreed to deliver the message, but concerned for the Jarl, he opened the letter over dinner in his room. It spoke of former conversations, and the setting in motion of plans in a grave tone. The Redguard pondered whether or not to trust the man until sweet dreams of hot desert days enveloped him

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
    Allysian Liore - Imperial

Retracing her route back to Shor's Stone proved uneventful for Allysian. Her only encounter was with a pair of hungry wolves that weren't much of a test with her mace. She didn't have time to skin the wolves, so she left the carcasses along the roadside for other predators and scavengers to feed on.

Upon entering Shor's Stone, she was once again greeted by Filnjar who offered her some bread, eidar cheese and wine after her six hour trek. Sylgja, emerging from the mine to take her lunch, joined them. Ally gave Sylgja the package of baked treats from her mother which the three of them shared. Sylgja offered Ally an heirloom silver necklace as thanks, but Ally refused, she was happy to have helped. With no other business in Shor's Stone, Ally bid her friends farewell and headed back to Riften.

Ally took a wide berth around Fort Greenwall, not wanting to attract the attention of any more bandits especially in the bright light of midday. She returned to Riften without incident. Ally grew more and more confident navigating this area of Skyrim known as The Rift.

Upon her return to Riften, she immediately sought out Balimund. He had just received the Ebony Ingot shipment from Shor's Stone a few hours ago and was already planning on putting it to good use.

BalimundAndAlly03.png

"Not so easy to get rid of this pesky Imperial!" Ally exclaimed as she snuck up on the blacksmith.

"Heh, welcome home Ally," Balimund stopped his hammering and gave Ally a sweaty hug. "Thanks for the Ebony, it's rare I get the opportunity to work with this stuff, not many customers around here have the septims to make these types of weapons worth my while. I'll make something nice for you with it, but it'll take some time, I have a big order from the Jarl that I gotta get done. Oh, I called in a favor, got you this," Balimund retrieved a neatly folded brown cloak from atop the barrels in the corner of the shop.

Ally held it out in front of her, "Wow, this is exquisite! Where is this from?"

BalimundAndAlly04.png

Balimund nodded over to the marketplace at Edda who was seated in the same place as the other day.

"Edda made this? Wow."

"Yeah, for some reason, I'm one of the few people she actually still remembers. She didn't want to sew it, but I convinced her with a couple of hot meals. I'm trying to get her back into sewing, but her heart isn't in it anymore it seems."

"That's a shame, it's really outstanding work."

"Yeah, well I figured it would help keep you warm out there."

"Thank you, it was extremely thoughtful. Hey, while I was out there, I picked up an iron battleaxe. I liked the size of it, but it was a bit much for me to swing. Any suggestions?"

"Hmm, I could come up with something. Come back in an hour or so, I'll have something ready for you to try."

Edda02.png

Ally left Balimund to his work and headed over to the marketplace. She stopped to chat with Edda and thank her for the cloak. Unfortnately, this wasn't one of Edda's better days. She was incoherent and a little rude. She would randomly yell at others going about their day, it made Ally really uncomfortable to be standing near her. Ally placed a handful of septims on Edda's woven mat and continued to browse the marketplace before returning to The Scorched Hammer.

"Here you go," said Balimund, offering Ally an extremely large sword. "I took some weight off of the blade, made it a bit shorter, dug the fuller a bit deeper, hollowed out parts of the pommel and grip also. Made the cross-guard a bit smaller as well. It's still fairly well balanced and durable. Should work nicely. I'm guessing you've never used something like this before."

"Not in any sort of battle, no."

"Okay, well let me show you some basic stuff, I'm no expert when it comes to combat, life expectancy is longer for blacksmiths," said Balimund with a wink.

Ally and Balimund spent a little bit of time down in his basement going over basic maneuvers, attacks, blocks, and counters. The sword fit perfectly and Ally swung it confidently.

"I want you to go see my friend Torbjorn Shatter-Shield up in Windhelm. I heard he's going through some hard times, but he's an expert with a two-handed blade. I'll sleep better at night knowing that he's trained you. Also, go see Wylandriah up at Mistveil Keep, she's the Court Mage here in Riften. She's a bit eccentric, but she can show you a thing or two about magick. Personally, I'm a bit leery of the stuff, but it's a good thing to know, ask her to teach you some restoration techniques. Well I'd better get back to work, that order isn't going to finish itself. Wanna meet for dinner? Same time, same place?"

Ally thanked Balimund for the weapon, trading in her iron mace and agreed to meet up for dinner. Ally always had an interest in magick, but just never got around to pursuing it. Learning a bit of Restoration was a good idea considering she's spending so much time outside of town alone.

MistveilKeep01.png

Remembering her promise to Anneke, Ally headed over to Mistveil Keep to see the Jarl. Ally had never met a Jarl before and was a little surprised that Riften's Jarl was a woman, Laila Law-Giver. Ally was equally surprised that the Jarl's were open to speak with just about any of their citizens without fear. The burly bodyguard that loomed nearby was a great deterrent.

MistveilKeep03.png

Ally spoke with Laila for a few minutes, explaining to her about the Black-Toes. The Jarl was already well aware of the Black-Toes expanding turf and even handed Ally an official bounty letter. Ally asked if the Jarl could commit some of her town guard to take care of the problem, but the Jarl refused. "With the civil war raging across Skyrim along with the new threat of Dragons, I can't afford to send anyone away, I'm already stretched thin as it is," was the Jarl's reply.

Ally now had three known locations of Black-Toe bandits: Fort Greenwall, Uttering Hills Camp, and now Treva's Watch. All three locations had to be dealt with. Confused on what to do, she decided to take Balimund's advice and learn a bit of magick from Wylandriah, the Court Mage.

Wylandriah01.png

Ally entered the Court Mage's chamber adjacent to the Jarl's receiving room, a robed woman was standing over an enchanting table muttering something about some lost spiders. "Excuse me, Wylandriah?" Ally said meekly.

"I have to remember, ward first, then summon. Oh, I'm sorry, didn't see you there! Excuse my disorganization, but I'm in the middle of some delicate experiements," said the mage.

"I was wondering if you could teach me some basic Restoration magick?"

"Oh why certainly! Restoration is great for anybody, as a member in good standing of the College of Winterhold, I am obligated to teach anyone interested a basic spell such as this. Do you have any experience with magick?"

"No, I do not, sorry."

"No need to apologize, very well, shall we get to it?"

Wylandriah02.png

For the next several hours, Wylandriah worked with Allysian to tune her body with the raw energy flowing from Aetherius. By the end of the session, Ally was fairly adept at calling upon the magick within her. She went from healing pin pricks to small cuts, amazed at how the magick poured into her wound and sealed it, good as new. She cursed herself for not learning this at an earlier age. Ally thanked Wylandriah for her teachings and purchased a spell tome from her that granted stronger and quicker levels of healing energy. She promised to study the tome on her travels.

With the sun having set, Ally headed over to the Bee and Barb to meet Balimund for dinner.

K3V!N

Nerlo Darellius
    Location - Windhelm (Candlehearth Hall)

No, no, you’re swing is all wrong,” Tulvur, Hollyfrost Farm’s resident farmhand yelled from across the field as he strutted over. Tulvur took the scythe grasping it in his hands, “watch,” he said as he lifted the rusted blade thrusting it into the wheat bushel. Nerlo looked on as the blunt scythe moved through the golden thicket with a violent crunch. “The easiest way to get this done is to only swing it once,” Tulvur said, handing the aged farm instrument back to Nerlo. Looking back at the paltry four bushels he had already hacked to death and bound, Nerlo knew he was in for a long day.

He had spent the morning cursing and hacking at the wheat bushels, exhausting ten to twenty strikes per bushel, and he just comes over and thwack! done. This scythe, with its badly rusted ‘blade’ was not cooperating, and at this rate, he’d be lucky to finish by sundown. Nerlo watched as Tulvur casually returned to the grindstone that sat against the farm house.

You know, it would probably be easier if this blade were sharper,” Nerlo said as he whipped the scythe into the next bushel.

It’s not about the blade lad; it’s all in the follow through.” Nerlo looked down at his hands, thankful for the thick calluses that years on a shipping frigate afforded him. Just ahead of him, Tulvur’s two dogs had been watching Nerlo intently all morning; as if they knew he was making a mockery of himself. He tried to internalize what Tulvur had said, follow through. His shoulders screamed at him as he lifted the scythe once more, he closed his eyes tightly as he threw his weight behind the swing, his arms shaking as the scythe connected firmly with the bushel. He opened his eyes widely throwing the scythe down, I’ve got it this time, he thought as he puffed out his chest proudly.

A hearty chuckle erupted from Tulvur as he gazed upon the bushel. A measly ten stalks dangled over the side of the blade while most of the bushel remained. Feeling embarrassed and annoyed Nerlo grabbed the scythe, shaking it ferociously.

If this blade isn’t supposed to be sharp then why are you sharpening one on that grindstone?” Nerlo shot back, pointing an accusatory finger at Tulvur.

I never said a sharp blade doesn’t help,” he said, composing himself, “besides, that blade is so rusted there’s no good way to sharpen it.” Tulvur continued his work, undaunted by the complaint as Nerlo shook his head indignantly and began chopping away at the wheat once more. He looked up at the dogs who hadn’t moved from their front row seats for several hours.

What’s with these dogs?” He asked, “Are they always like this? Just sitting there?

Most of the time they just run around, must’ve taken a liking to you the way they’re hanging around like that.” Tulvur let out a stout whistle which sent the dogs running to his side, they sat as he scratched both behind the ears. “I always wonder if I could put the dogs to work somehow, but I really don’t have the heart to force them. Once the sun goes down, it’s just me and the dogs. They keep me warm , and don’t talk too much.” Tulvur gave the dogs a pat on the butt and they came running back to Nerlo, settling back in to resume the show.

About that blade, I’ve been farming for most my life; it’s just practice is all. A few more days in the fields and you’ll be a natural.

By the Gods, I can only hope that I don’t have many more days in the fields, no offense of course.” Nerlo wiped the sweat off his brow, “How much can I make in a day doing this anyways?

That all depends, its honest pay for an honest day’s work around here." Tulvur paused for a moment, "What’s the matter, manual labor doesn’t suit you?” Just then the two of them jumped as the door to the farmhouse flung open clanging loudly against the side of the house.

TULVUR!!” A large Nordic man appeared along the side of the house, marching furiously towards them.
    I’ve just completed inspection of the farmhouse.” Tulvur stood timidly, brushing himself off.

Oh?” He said as the man approached.

It’s filthy in there!” The Nord said, gesturing wildly towards the house, “Dirt everywhere and it looks like the dogs have the run of the place.”

Well, sir, it’s a farmhouse.” Tulvur responded quietly as he scurried to straighten the rack of farm utensils he had been sharpening, “It’s not going to be as clean as your house in the city.” The man looked heatedly at Tulvur sucking in a breath of air. He paused for a minute, exhaling deeply with a wry smile.

I just know that our sailors are able to keep their ship quarters clean,” he said calmly, patting Tulver on the shoulder, “and I expect the same of you.

I’ll do my best, sir.

And who is this?” The man said, squinting in Nerlo’s direction.

Nerlo, sir.” Tulvur said, following closely behind, “He is helping us out with the wheat harvest.

Is that so? Welcome, I’m Torsten and this is my farm.” He said. The two shook hands, “Do you have a last name?

Darellius, sir. Nerlo Darellius.

Darellius!” Torsten shouted, “Where are you from Darellius?

I-uh, Imperial City sir.” Nerlo responded, hesitantly, “Am a sailor myself, just here on a temporary basis.

Imperial City?” Torsten paused for a moment to hold back a smirk, “Have to say I’m surprised to see one of your kind out here getting dirty in the fields. Makes sense though, Darellius. Sailor you say? Who do you sail for?

Actually, no one currently. I’ve worked over at the East Empire for the last couple of years as a deck hand. I’ve been all over Tamriel. Can’t say I know much about Skyrim, though.

Oh an adventurer? Well, good on you young man,” Torsten reached over and gave Nerlo a hard smack on the back, “there’s nothing like making your living the honest way. Maybe you can teach Tulvur a thing or two about cleanliness.” Torsten looked over the crops, his eyes fixating on the pile of wheat Nerlo had been stacking.

Well, go on Darellius, don’t let me stop you. There’s plenty of wheat to harvest and honest pay for an honest day’s work.

Nerlo turned to continue, rolling his eyes slightly, yep, heard that one before.

As the day wore on the sun rounded the crest of the sky. The rays felt good against Nerlo’s skin and he had worked up a good sweat for the first time since stepping off the ship in Windhelm. By two o’clock, with Tulvur's help, all the wheat had been harvested, and in the end ten bushels were produced. Nerlo felt a slight sense of pride as he stacked the wheat inside the farmhouse, ready to head to the market in the morning. It did turn out however, that an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work only equated to fifty-five gold, barely enough to house and feed himself for the next day or two.

With that in mind, and despite his lingering hunger, he headed back down to the river. The thought of taking a cold dip was a tantalizing prospect, given the sweat he'd worked up at the farm. On his way, in the glimmering sunlight, having shipped a few barrels before he recognized a few wild snowberry plants and mountain flowers growing along the paths outside of Windhelm. He spent about an hour picking at the plants and stuffed as many berries as he could in his pockets. Down at the river, he ruggedly crafted a pseudo-fishing net out of his old rough spun tunic, stabbing small holes in it with his dagger.

The fishing net proved useful, and Nerlo ran along the shoreline collecting fish before taking a short plunge into the river to collect those he couldn’t reach. In the end, he ended up with fourteen fish to go along with his mountain flower and snowberry harvest, surely enough to earn him some significant coin at the market.

Back in town, his stomach growled with each step he took. Having not eaten since the night before, his first mission was to dump his catch and find something satisfy his hunger and quench his thirst. As he approached Hillevi he halfway expected her bargaining prices to have improved. He had just spent a day on her husband’s farm; surely this gave him some leeway with prices. To his surprise, Hillevi wouldn’t budge, offering him once again one septim per fish. Luckily the snowberries and mountain flower went for a bit more and at the end of the day, Nerlo was nearing one-hundred gold in his pocket.

After savoring dinner of a rabbit haunch, some eidar cheese and an ale, Nerlo struck up a conversation with an ex-sailor called Captain Lonely-Gale. To Nerlo’s surprise the Captain has just recently lost his family, a seemingly common occurrence in Skyrim. Despite his recent loss, and after a few more bottles of ale, Nerlo was able to get the Captain out of his shell and they regaled each other with stories of their adventures on the high seas. Towards the later hours of the evening a woman who the Captain called ‘Viola’ stormed into the inn and began harassing the Captain, asking him if he would 'accept her offer.' By the way the Captain reacted, the request seemed romantic in nature to which he vehemently told Viola it was too soon. This erupted into a humorous scene in which Viola would follow the Captain from point to point, whispering things like, "the quickest way to get over an old lover is to take a new one." Eventually, after a few furious tirades from the Captain, Viola was eventually dispatched courtesy the city guard to her home.

Torbjorn also returned to Candlehearth and he and Nerlo caught up on the day’s events by the downstairs bar. Although Torbjorn was still despondent, he mostly seemed worried about his wife, Tova’s well-being, in how she was handling the recent loss of Friga. He asked Nerlo if he’d ever run across an Amulet of Arkay, that he bring it to him to which Nerlo agreed.

Torbjorn did have a few ideas for work and recommended Nerlo check out the other farms outside of town Hiaalu and Brandy-Mug for more harvesting work in the morning. There was also talk of Anga’s Mill, just west of the city, and that Anga had been looking for some help out there with various tasks.
    Once Torbjorn had stumbled home and Nerlo readied himself for sleep he examined his belonging. Glaring at the ten septim’s that remained from the day’s income he knew something was going to have to change, and fast, if he was ever going to get out of Windhelm.

Stutta

Cyrus woke early the next morning with a definite answer to his question. He had no business involving himself in the politics of Morthal. He would not betray the woman who had offered him shelter when he had nothing else. He fed and drank with his upcoming travels on his mind until the arrhythmic beating of the orc’s drum chased him out of the inn. The dark clouds that had been gathering over the marsh were finally emptying, and the swamp water was particularly high that day. Seeing the weather, Cyrus looked down to the foot wraps which had served him as shoes up until that point and sighed. The march would be a wet one.

He followed the innkeeper’s directions and traveled south until he hit the stone road, which led through the winding passes of the northern mountains. The snowcapped peaks were unlike anything which could be found in the Alik’r. Cyrus had never set his eyes on something so imposing. His mouth gaped open as he absorbed the breathtaking view. Unfortunately, his sightseeing was cut short when three figures appeared in the distance. Cyrus dropped into a crouch, unwilling to be seen, and crept closer. To his surprise, two of the men were dressed in garb which seemed very familiar to the Hammerfell native, and the third appeared to be a woman. Cyrus regained his composure and strode towards the three. As he drew closer he began to be able to make out what the three were arguing over. It seemed that the two Alik’r were searching for a certain Redguard woman whom they believed to be hidden somewhere in Skyrim. The one they were aggressively interrogating however was clearly not her. Cyrus placed himself in between the two parties and asked, “Can I help you?” to the Alik’r. They reeked of death, and he could sense they were cruel men.

We are simply searching for a certain noblewoman wanted in Hammerfell, if you come across her in your travels wanderer, please, we could pay you handsomely."

Cyrus nodded curtly and after ensuring the woman was unharmed, resumed a brisk pace to his destination. Not long after, he came across the wreckage of a robbed caravan. The corpse of a different Redguard woman lay naked next to the cart. Cyrus felt sick to his stomach. The woman had been raped and tortured before the embrace of death had taken her. He suspected the two men he had just crossed paths with. Flashes of the night his clan had been raided by the Thalmor blurred his vision. He let out a grunt and fell to his knees. A single tear dropped from his eye. He would give this woman what his own family had not received, a proper burial. He dug a hole to the side of the road where he placed the woman. He built a makeshift marker from the wood of the cart using his woodcutter’s axe and placed the woman’s journal along with some mountain flowers over her grave. He recited a verse from the poem of Satakal’s Cleansing as was the custom of his land and took a deep breath. But before leaving the wreckage, he pulled a new pair of boots from the back of the cart. As Cyrus untied the cloths around his feet, and slipped them into the brand new pair of boots, he let out a sigh of relief. These would go a long way to easing the burden of his journey.

He began to make out the structure of a massive bridge in the distance. As he drew closer, a wyrm’s stone head became clear. It gazed at all who crossed. Cyrus knew this land to be one of magic and danger, so he placed his hand on the side guard before setting foot on the structure. He could feel the age of the dragon stone. It was built in ancient times, when men enslaved to beasts wielded great power. He shuddered, and snapped his hand back to his side. He would cross this bridge, but out of no desire of his own.

Upon setting foot on the other side, a voice spoke to him from a different realm. “Rise up – for I – await thee – champion,” it slowly recited. Cyrus wasn’t sure whether he could trust his own ears. He looked around but the deer seemed untroubled. He questioned whether he’d imagined it or not. Nevertheless, he kept an eye on the cliffs as he continued his journey to Solitude.

Solitude itself was a massive stone construction. It was built to stand the test of battle rather than that of time. The Alik’r felt uneasy under the shadow of the giant brick fortress which overlooked it. His natural instincts gave him comfort in the open air of the desert. A hulking orc, which made him especially nervous, crossed his path as it exited the city, seemingly on a mission. Their kinds had never been anything but hostile.

Cyrus decided to frequent the multitude of shops near the gates to begin his journey. He purchased several lockpicks – for he had little faith in his ability – and in one garment store came across traditional Alik’r cloaks which caught his eye. He’d never felt more comfortable than in desert garb, and this particular set was slightly more padded to handle the northern chill. He changed into his new clothes, and continued to browse the market. He came across an amulet which seemed to bear Satakal in his wyrm form, or so the vendor had managed to convince him. Cyrus secretly wondered why such an amulet would have found itself in the market at Solitude, but he trusted the Argonian vendor. He had had little dealings with the race and it seemed an honest type.

The Argonian had recommended that a man of Cyrus’ religious inclinations visit the Temple of the Nine Divines, so that is where he went after lunch. He sat under the gaze of foreign gods in a city of stone caves until it all became too much for him and he yearned for the freedom of the trail. Cyrus left Solitude slightly after the height of day, and exhausted from the many novelties he had encountered, paid a cart driver handsomely to bring him back to his home.

Cyrus hesitantly stepped off the cart. It had left him right by Alva’s house. The sun was nearing the horizon to the west, so he knew that he would have to hurry if he wanted to enter unnoticed. He pulled out a lockpick as he looked around to make sure no one was near. Fiddling around for a while, the growing shadows began to worry him. He had little time left. Frustrated, Cyrus pulled out his axe, and holding the pick in the lock, gave it a firm hit on its back. Amazingly, this seemed to do the trick. Cyrus crept in, spell and weapon ready. The first floor showed no signs of vampirism, but a suspicious stairway leading deep underground was hidden in the back of the house. He followed it, opening the door at the bottom to reveal a vampire’s crypt. He could make out a sleeping figure in the coffin centered on a pedestal. His suspicions confirmed, Cyrus hastily returned to the outside world, unwilling to test his luck once again. His bout with vampirism had only just begun.

On his way home, Cyrus picked up a couple of spell tomes from Falion, to whom he recounted the events of his trip to Solitude. The voice from the bridge seemed to excite the man, who agreed to do some research on the topic. He believed it may be related to something known as a daedric shrine. Perhaps Cyrus would one day possess the courage to search the hillsides and “rise up”. But until then, he would read, learn and rest.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Velid Anahill
    Velid woke up early in the morning. Everyone else appeared to be asleep as well, so he quietly got up and grapped his stuff. He walked out into the main hallway and heard another person talking. "I'm worried with all these younglings running around.", said the man. Velid turned to see a balding man whom he'd seen in the meadhall but had never really talked to speaking to Aela. "Why, you think one of them'll take your place?", replied Aela. "No, I'm not afraid of that. I'm worried they'll get themselves killed.", said the man. "By you?", asked Aela. "They should be so lucky!", finished the man. They dispersed, and the man turned around and saw Velid. "Oh, are you the new whelp? I'm Skjor, another member of the circle, the rest of whom I'm sure you've met. Aela, Vilkas, Farkas and our Harbinger, Kodlak Whitemane. Farkas told me he assigned you a job. I suggest you get to it, and soon, if you wish to remain here.", said the man. "I was actually going to get right on that, after I earn some more money and buy some good armor.", replied Velid. "These vampires aren't particularily strong. You should be able to take 'em with what you have now.", said the man as he walked up the stairs. "Not as warm a welcome as the others gave me...", thought Velid.
    He decided he would have to do some odd jobs around town if he wanted to get enough money to afford some armor. He thought about asking Eorlund if he needed help with the forge, but then thought about it some more and decided that the blacksmith at the gate would be more likely to need assistance. He went upstairs to grab some breakfast and supplies, in case he did leave today, as well as a map. He remembered much of Skyrims basic layout from the trade caravans maps, so he was able to mark all of the hold capitols, as well as Helgen. He approached Farkas and said, "Hey, Farkas, would you mind marking Moldering Ruins on this map?" "Here.", he said, drawing a half circle with a dot in the middle somewhere between Markarth and Morthal, "You may want to take a horse." Velid stared at the distance between the marking and Whiterun. "Damn it to Oblivion! How am I supposed to get there?", thought Velid, "Well, I'd better try and earn some money so I can afford a horse." He left Jorvaskr and sat down beneath the dead tree, listening to the priest talk about Talos. "Maybe I should investigate some of the nearby Nordic ruins, search for gold and gems in there...", thought Velid.
    A Redguard approached Velid, who was still deep in thought. The man sat down next to him and asked, "Do you happen to be the adventuring type? I'm just wondering because I saw you leave Jorvaskr. I have a little problem that I was hoping you could help me with. The pay would be generous!" Velid jolted back to reality and said, "Oh, what? Some kind of job? What do you need?" "I need help finding my family sword. My wife doesn't want me to go to a bandit camp to retrieve for fear that I may die, but that sword has been in my family for generations. Here, I'll mark the bandit camp where it's located down for you on your map.", said the Redguard. The man appeared to be wearing nothing but the armor of a barbarian. "Of course I can help you. My name's Velid. What's yours?", asked the Bosmer. "Amren. If you come across the place, remember my offer.", said the Redguard. "Of course.", replied Velid. "Thank you so much!", finished the man as he walked back to the Bannered Mare. Velid remembered the offer from the woman about Mikael. He followed Amren into the Bannered Mare to see if Mikael was awake.
    As soon as Velid entered the bard began a, quite loud, song entitled The Dragonborn Comes-
    "Our hero, our hero claims a warrior's heart!
    I tell you, I tell you the Dragonborn comes!"
    "Excuse me, but do you know where Mikael is?", said Velid to an armored Nordic man.
    "With a voice wielding power, of the ancient Nord art!
    Believe, believe the Dragonborn comes!"
    "No, but I've heard his name before. I think he works here. By the way, have you noticed Whiteruns terrible security?", answered the man.
    "It's an end to the evil of all Skyrims foes,
    beware, beware the Dragonborn comes!"
    "Umm, no. I think the cities pretty well-defended.", said Velid.
    "For the darkness has passed, and the legend yet grows!
    You'll know, you'll know when the Dragonborn comes!"
    "Pity. You looked like a smart one.", ended the man at the same time as the bard. "Thank you, thank you! Ladies, if you ever want a piece of Mikael here, you can come and get it!", said the bard. "Did you say you're Mikael?", asked Velid. "That I am!", he replied. "Well, a woman out there who owns that vegetable stall would like you to stop pestering her. Never did catch her name.", said our main character. "Carlotta's sending someone over to stop me from wooing her? Never! I won't stop until she is in my sweet, tender embrace.", said Mikael. "Look, she's her own person! Right now she doesn't want to see anybody. Just wait until she's ready, maybe befriend her beforehand.", replied Velid. "I suppose you're right.", said Mikael with a sigh, "It's just... Nevermind. You're right I shouldn't be bothering her." "Thanks for not trying to push your love for her even more. I'm gonna go tell the woman. Carlotta, right?", said Velid. "Yes.", answered the bard. Velid walked out the door and back to the marketplace, where the sun appeared to have fully risen.
    "Hey there, elf! Progressed at all with Mikael?", asked a familiar voice. "Yes, actually, I got him to give up completely.", replied Velid. "I'd thank the divines, but I guess I'll have to settle for you. Here, take this.", said Carlotta while tossing Velid a substantial amount of coins. Velid then said, "Thank you so much! Did I really make that much of a breakthrough? Eh, doesn't matter." Velid searched through the purse and counted up 250 septims. "This is... This is just so much coin! Thank you!", said Velid. "I can see that you must be down on your luck.", replied Carlotta. "That I am.", said Velid. "Well, you earned it. Have a nice day.", ended Carlotta. Velid walked down to the blacksmiths, shaking his head in amazement. He reached her and said, "Could you use any help around the forge?" "Actually, yes. Could you smith me an iron dagger and then sharpen it over there on my grindstone? Here are the things required to make it.", she said, tossing him some iron and leather. Velid quickly got to work. He spent two hours making the dagger, though he found he was a natural at sharpening it. "Not bad. Now make a hide helmet. Tan some leather over there on the rack then forge it and fit it for yourself on the table." Velid tanned the deer hide he had been given in just under an hour and got to work on shaping the metal. It wasn't as difficult as it had been before. Then he fit it to fit his head on the nearby workbench. "Great job, for a beginner. You keep those.", she said. "Thanks. Also, how much will you give me for these two daggers?", asked Velid. "I'll give you 7 septims for the lot of 'em.", replied the blacksmith. "Thanks.", said Velid, giving her the daggers and taking the coin, "Mind if I use your workspace?" "53 septims. Just clean up when you're done.", answered the imperial woman.
    Velid got to work, improving his shield and mace. He finished the job in about an hour. After he finished the smith offered him another job. "My father's the Jarl's steward, and I'm wondering if you could bring this sword up there.", she said. "Of course. I'm heading up near there anyway.", answered Velid. "Thanks. He'll pay you for services rendered.", ended the smith. Velid walked off towards Dragonreach at a brisk pace, as the sword he had been given was heavy. He walked up the seemingly endless stairs and noticed a skeleton floating under a bridge. He placed his stuff down and stripped down to just a loincloth. He jumped into the moat and dragged the skeleton up the stairs to the bridge. There he found 9 septims. He took a bone and crushed it, as he had heard that bone meal was useful in alcheical projects. He threw the skeleton back into the moat without anyone noticing and put his clothes back on. He then threw open the doors to Dragonsreach and walked up the hall to the jarl, who was conversing with a Dark Elf and an Imperial. Velid interrupted their conversation and asked, "Is the Steward in? I'm here to deliver a sword from his daughter." The Imperial turned to him and said, "I'm the steward, Proventus Avenicci. I see Adrianne has sent another gift. Here, let me take it." Proventus then tossed him a coin purse with 20 septims in it. "Now, we have important matters to discuss, so please be on your way.", said the steward as he turned back to the Jarl and the Dunmer woman. Velid walked back out and noticed that it was afternoon. "I'd better buy some armor today and go out to the vampire place tomorrow. I probably won't have a horse, but I may have found someone to accompany me by then.", thought Velid as he walked to the Skyforge to buy armor.
    "All I got for under 250 septims is some hide armor.", said Eorlund. "Here, will this cover it?", replied Velid, tossing him all his remaining coin. "Aye, this'll do. Here.", finished the smith while tossing Velid some armor. Velid tried on the armor and his helmet. "Nice. I think I'm almost ready to take care of those vampires.", thought Velid. He went to the Bannered Mare to see if anyone wanted to go and share all the spoils, in exchange for helping him. No one replied. "I guess I'll have to go visit Riverwood. They might have someone willing to help.", thought Velid as he walked out of the Bannered Mare. He left Whiterun around 4 and passed by where his caravan had been stopped yesterday and sighed. He kept walking and followed the path to Riverwood. Shortly after beginning he met a nice Dark Elf on a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Azura. He marked the shrine on Velid's map and said that anyone who wishes to pray to Azura is welcome. When Velid reached the town he entered an inn, The Sleeping Giant, and asked if anyone required any assistance. The bard, a Nord named Sven, asked him to deliver a fake letter to a woman named Camilla Valerius. "And say it's from Faendal.", finished the man. Velid thought it was terrible and decided that he would tell this woman the truth. He walked out of the inn and entered a store called the Riverwood Trader. Two Imperials were arguing about some kind of claw. "Excuse me, is one of you Camilla Valerius? Sven wanted me to give you this letter and to say it was from Faendal.", said Velid. One of the Imperials, a female, turned and said, "Sven wanted you to say what?" She took the letter and read over it. "You should go tell Faendal. I'm sure he'd be grateful. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.", said the woman as she returned to arguing with the other Imperial.
    "Thanks for telling Camilla the truth. Here. Take these. If you ever need help with anything just ask.", said Faendal as he gave Velid a hunting bow, 12 steel arrows and 25 septims. "Actually, if you wouldn't mind, I'm going to go clear out an old ruin, and if you come along then you'll get half of the spoils.", said Velid, tantalizingly. "That does sound like a good prospect... Sure!", answered Faendal. "Well, I'm not leaving until tomorrow morning. I'm staying at the inn here tonight. Go back there early tomorrow morning and we'll be off.", replied Velid. "I'll be there.", finished Faendal as he continued to chop wood, even though it had begun to rain. Velid entered the inn once more. "Did you give her the letter?", asked Sven as soon as Velid walked through the door. "Yes. I also told her that you made it all up.", answered the Wood Elf as he walked up to the counter. A woman was at the counter and the regular bartender was sweeping floors. "Can I rent a room?", he asked. "Ten septims. Take it or leave it.", she replied. "I'll take it.", answered Velid as he forked over the septims. "You get that room.", said the woman pointing to one of three doors. "Much obliged.", said Velid as he walked off towards the room. He entered and put his regular clothes and armor in a wardrobe. He laid his weapons, his food and the bone meal in a chest at the food of the bed. He then dozed off trying to remember all he could about vampires even though it was only about seven o' clock.

Stutta

Alva happened to be in the inn when Cyrus woke from his slumbers. “Hunting for new prey,” he imagined as he gave her a wide berth on his way out the door. He would approach Jarl Idgrod that morning, needing new direction. His axe was quick and his will strong, but a vampire was a deadly foe and Cyrus feared for his life. He would hone his body and mind in battle with live enemies before attempting to slay those who defy death. Tava had intervened to his benefit too many times already.

The Jarl waved him towards her Housecarl, saying a camp of bandits had been threatening the unprotected city of late. She continued,

“A guard is just that, they have not been trained in offensive tactics, and the legion does not concern itself with matters unrelated to the empire. You are a good man Cyrus A’Tor, I have heard of your progress in the investigation, but I bid thee keep in mind the innocent lives at risk. The people of the marsh are strong, but burden an ox with too many weights and it will no longer walk.”

The Housecarl gave the Redguard a knowing look, recognizing the mistrust in his eyes. He suspected that the traitor would abandon his plots for now, having revealed too much to the wrong man. The bodyguard said his people had managed to track the location of the bandits to a nearby hideout called Orotheim. Cyrus was given rough directions to the camp, and a day’s worth of supplies for the journey. As he left the longhouse, he caught the eye of Benor who was leaning aimlessly against the guard house.

“Friend, I leave now to do battle with the bandits of Orotheim for they threaten the lives of good people in Mort’al.”

“I was hoping you’d ask me to join,” replied Benor. “Our night at the cemetery got me free passage into the bed of a certain alchemist from around here. People are beginning to know my name.”

“I’d be happy to have your hammer by my side once again.”

And so the two wandered off, following the river until the walls of a fort started to make themselves visible. The defenses appeared intricate from a distance, so the two adventurers decided on a plan of attack. Cyrus would sneak over the walls, drawing the attention of the defenders away from the main entrance, while Benor simply walked through the unguarded gate, flanking the shocked bandits. The tactics worked to perfection and while Benor was raiding the ale shelf, Cyrus took time to examine the workings of the fort. There was a complex system of levers which seemed to be used to release traps on unwary attackers. The gate could be barred, with only two roads leading to it, both of which required the crossing of nearby bridges without cover. Would be attackers could be easily spotted by an alert guard long before they reached the walls. He and Benor had been lucky that the fort had only been occupied by a group of unorganized thugs. The chief’s cabin in the back was spacious, with a trapdoor leading to a hidden cove where several boats were moored, an escape route. “This could serve me well one day, should it be necessary,” thought Cyrus. The camp could easily be defended against greater numbers by only a few companions. As Cyrus lost himself in his own thoughts, Benor walked up to him with a bottle of mead on his lips and asked,

“What was the name of the bandit site that whelp of a Housecarl gave you, Cyrus?”

“Orotheim. These men had threatened Mort’al with brazen attacks as they expanded their territories. But they lay dead now, with innocents no longer at risk,” Cyrus replied as he indicated the carnage spread across the campsite. Benor looked hesitant, glancing at his bottle, seemingly worried he would be made to put it down.

“Well I hate to break it to ya – but – this ain’t Orotheim friend, what you’re looking for is up on the side of that there mountain.”

Cyrus stared at the giant Nord, incredulous that he had not thought to speak up sooner. Communication was not Benor’s expertise, for that lay with his hammer.

“Then that mountain we will climb, Nord.”

Benor reluctantly stashed the case of ale he’d stolen in a chest, reminding Cyrus they would have to return one day. Orotheim, it turned out was a much easier battle than Robber’s Cove, with few defenses other than the inconspicuous nature of the entrance. It seemed the gang had relied on stealth to keep their base safe as they raided the countryside. The men found little of value in the cave. Apparently, the aggressive nature of the bandits had been a result of desperation rather than audacity. Benor wanted to take a detour to Solitude before returning to Morthal.

“I long for the golden locks of women in Solitude to run my fingers through,” recited the warrior, seemingly turned poet for but an instant.

Cyrus reckoned the loot from the two camps would fetch a good price at the market, so he agreed. Benor led the way through a nearby pass. A shortcut, he called it.

The entrance to the pass was guarded by a skeletal knight wielding a magical staff. Cyrus choked back his fear, but Benor didn’t seem to mind the speedbump as his hammer easily scattered the bones held together by unholy forces. The Redguard recovered the staff from the severed arm of the creature, thinking that his friend Falion would appreciate a look, if he ever made it back to Morthal alive. Meanwhile, Benor chuckled as he picked up the creature’s skull. As Cyrus was absorbed by his discovery, Benor opened and closed the jaw a couple times and slipped it into his satchel. The showpiece would make for a great tale at the tavern, he thought.

The two continued through the pass, which a frost troll had recently turned into its den. Benor glanced back at Cyrus, putting his finger to his lips, as he dropped into a crouch. The troll was already occupied with the carcass of an elk, and didn’t bother to look up as the men snuck by. The Nord seemed so comfortable with the dangers of this land, but perhaps it was simply the bandits’ ale beginning to affect his judgement.

The partners decided to rent rooms at the inn built near the Dragonbridge, for night had fallen and their feet were weary. Cyrus retreated to his room, leaving Benor to joke late into the night with a couple of legionnaires he had befriended. The Redguard collapsed into his bed, exhausted from the trials of the icy country. He longed to feel the desert under his feet once more, and the sun against his skin. The vision of a Hammerfell woman he had once known crossed his mind. Since the wreck, he’d been too busy to even remember the soft touch of the gentler sex. Cyrus finally fell asleep, his heart torn by memories of his home.

“The dead had risen from their graves. Weapons clenched in their cold fists. Drawing closer and closer. The defenseless woman surrounded. A dark shadow. She raised her hands to the stars and spread feathered wings once hidden under dark robes. The heat of a thousand suns. The dead lay as they should. A woman frozen in time.”

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Meanwhile, in Bruca's Leap Redoubt... MOD POST
    "How goes the ritual, Brother Daymon?" The hand of another Briarheart was placed on Daymon's shoulder who turned, giving his brother a silent nod.​
    "His flesh yet resist the heart, but it will take, given time," Daymon replied, turning his gaze to the body of another Foresworn laid out on a wooden table, his torso laid bare with a gaping hole in his chest, a human heart laying on a plate beside the body. The briar heart in question was on a plate beside it. "Brother Jayl was strong in both body and spirit," he continued solemnly before turning back to the other Briarheart. "The heart will take."​
    "Aye, Brother. I do not doubt your talents nor Jayl's strengths. I am merely concerned, given the circumstances."​
    "What have you heard, Brother Mikul?" asked Daymon, turning away from the body on the table and moving to wash his bloodied hands in a washbowl on the table behind them.​
    "Sister Aylani has returned from Hag's End. It would appear the Matriarch is not pleased with our progress." Mikul answered, his head lowered. It was awhile before Daymon asked if there was anything else. "The Matriarch will be visiting with us within a fortnight. She wants to send three more Briarhearts to other Redoubts closer to Markarth." Daymon wiped his hands dry on his robes, turning to meet Mikul's gaze. "I believe the Matriarchs are planning some sort of offensive to take advantage of all the confusion in Skyrim."​
    "Something so bold without any true advantage is bold of them," said Daymon as he turned back to the body of Jayl, his arms crossed over his chest. "Do they really believe the rumors of dragons and this civil war will be enough to give us an opening?"​
    "Nay Brother," said Mikul as he moved over to run a hand over Jayl's cold forehead. "I believe they are simply preparing for when we are given an advantage." It was then that the sound of the wooden door above opened and a female face appeared in the small window.​
    "Brother Daymon! Has Brother Mikul informed you?" she called out.​
    "Aye, Sister Aylani!" Daymon called back. "What has the Matriarch instructed of you?"​
    "I am to take all but you and Brothers Kylt and Lupin back to Hag's End. The Matriarch does not wish to draw attention to your work here. She says that in a week she will send you two more willing Brothers for the ritual." Daymon nodded and turned towards Mikul as Aylani sped back out of the cave.​
    "Then it is time for you to go, Brother." Mikul nodded, but his gaze remained fixed on Jayl's face. "Do not fret, Brother. He is as much your brother as mine - blood can do little to strength the bond we all share." Mikul nodded and clasped a hand on Daymon's shoulder.​
    "Take care, Brother." And then, he was gone...​

MushroomGenius

Allysian Liore - Imperial

Ally entered the Bee and Barb a little surprised to see that Balimund had beaten her there. He looked like he had cleaned himself up a bit after working the forge all day. She appreciated that. The two friends broke bread and spoke of the events of the last couple of days. Balimund inquired about Ally's family, but she was extremely vague about what brought her to Skyrim. Fleeing Imperial justice was not something she cared to divulge.

Ally told Balimund about her visit to the Jarl and the Jarl's non-comittal response to the Black-Toe Bandits situation threatening the Rift. Balimund cursed, but took the Jarl's side in the matter. Ally was frustrated by it all. She'd made new friends in the settlements and wanted to help. Balimund suggested she ask around town in the morning, maybe she could round up a party that cared enough to put their lives on the line. She doubted she'd fine anyone of such character. Balimund sighed and agreed, thought for a moment and had a revelation of sorts. Spying the man seated near the door in mage robes, Balimund smiled.

As Ally rose the next morning in her bed at the Bee and Barb, she noticed a note tacked to the inside of her door. Without reading the note, she immediately took stock of her possessions: custom-made Steel Greatsword, Steel Dagger, Leather Armor, Boots, and Bracers, around six hundred septims, several potions, and alchemy ingredients. The skooma bottles she found back in Beggar's Row were gone, however. Perhaps this was a blessing, she thought to herself. Ally stepped over to the door and examined the note.

Allysian Liore,

This will be your final night staying here at the Bee and Barb. While I welcome your patronage and offer to help me with my gift for Keerava, we do not allow those that dabble in the skooma trade to stay at our establishment. Two bottles of skooma were discovered in your satchel during a random search last night. The two bottles have since been destroyed. As a sign of thanks for your patronage, I have not reported this incident to the town guard. Rest assured that if you do not comply with this letter, I will file the report. Please vacate the premises upon receipt of this letter. You are not welcome back, please disregard my previous request for assistance from you.

Talen-Jei
    Owner
    The Bee and Barb

Ally was shaken, she sat on her bed for a minute before slipping her feet into her boots and getting dressed. Peeking out the window, it appeared to still be early morning, hopefully she can make it out of the Inn without incident. She opened her door and smelled food coming from downstairs, Keerava had already started preparing the day's meals. Allysian peeked around the corner of the stairs but saw no one else. She tiptoed out the door, possibly for the last time.

AllyMarcurio01.png

A man was waiting for her as she exited The Bee and Barb, he was somewhat handsome, fairly youthful. He called Ally by name as she closed the door behind her.

"Ally? Greetings, I'm Marcurio, apprenticed wizard and expert in Nordic cuture. It's nice to see another Imperial here in Riften."

Ally stared at the man for a second, unsure how to process his greeting. She considered the note left her by Talen-Jei and whether this man's sudden appearance had anything to do with that. He didn't appear to be any type of authority figure.

"I'm sorry, how do you know my name?" Ally asked the man.

"Oh, didn't mean to alarm you. Balimund told me that you might be in need of my assistance. You have a bandit problem that needs taking care of?"

"Yes, well it's not my problem, it's the hold's."

"Well, you'll quickly realize that the hold's problems, more often than not, ARE your problems. The town guard are stretched so thin with the war going on. Many of the guards even left service to join up with the Stormcloaks. Ulfric's pretty smart about that, I'll give him that much. He's recruiting a lot of men and women and garrisoning them in their home holds. They're already familiar with the terrain, a huge advantage in his war against the Empire."

Ally was taken aback for a moment by the man's offer to help. Finally, someone of high moral character that is offering to help me! she thought. She quietly smiled at Marcurio, Marcurio awkwardly returned the smile, unsure of Ally's state of mind.

"So the standard five hundred septim fee per day is agreeable then?"

"Five hun-- what?" Ally snapped out of her daze.

"My fee, to cover my expenses and the fact that I AM risking my life here, afterall. My battle prowess will cost you five hundred coins, my knowledge of the area and expertise in Nordic culture adds to your value. My charm, as always, comes for free," Marcurio gave Ally a quick wink.

"You're a sellsword?"

"Well, not technically... I'm a mage, I don't use swords," Marcurio winked again, Ally stared at him eyebrow raised. "I consider myself a battle-tourguide of sorts. Come for the action, stay for the education." Ally sighed finding herself out of options and agreed to pay the mercenary. "So where to first?"

"Fort Greenwall, I'll have to pick up some supplies before heading out. I'll meet you outside the gate."

"Don't make me wait too long...I get bored very easily," replied Marcurio walking away.

AllyFoodcart01.png

Ally made her way through the marketplace picking up some fresh fruits and dried meat at one of the stalls.

"Never done an honest day's work in your life for all that coin you're carrying. Eh, lass?" said a voice behind her.

AllynAndBrynjolf01.png

"Excuse me?" replied Allysian turning around.

"Ah yes, the Imperial on the run from Cyrodiil. So how has your stay in Riften been so far? Exciting, I conclude?" said the well-dressed man she recognized from the other day.

"What are you getting at sir?"

"Nothing happens in Riften without me hearing about it lass. Skooma dealers at the Bee and Barb..." the man cocked his head at Ally, "murders down in the slums..." the man smiled, "does the name Khal-zeen ring a bell?"

"No, it doesn't, I don't know him," replied Ally, nervously. Was that the name of the Argonian I stabbed in Beggar's Row? Ally began to fidget, extremely uncomfortable in this man's presence. Who is this guy and how does he know so much? she thought.

Khalzeen01.png

"Well Khal-zeen is currently rotting in the Riften city jail, sadly for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's all brilliant, really," the man grinned at Ally, "An Argonian new to the city, down on his luck, a name nobody knows, no connections to anyone here willing to vouch for him, perfect target to frame for murder, wouldn't you agree lass?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, sorry." Ally turned to walk away from the man when he grabbed her arm spinning her back to him.

The man leaned in to Ally and whispered, "I'm well aware of who you are Allysian Liore. I know your past, I know every step you've taken since you've arrived in Riften. I know about Shor's Stone, I know about Darkwater Crossing, I know about the Orc, I know about the Black-Toe, I know about the dead Argonian with the skooma habit. Nothing, and I mean nothing, goes on without me knowing."

Tears started to well up in Ally's eyes, she replied shakily, "W-What do you want from me?"

"Simple, I have a job for you. Come see me when you get back in to town, if you're lucky, maybe I'll run into someone else that can handle it while you're gone. Information is power lass, the faster you learn that, the better off you'll be." The well dressed man released Ally's arm and disappeared into the marketplace crowd.

Obviously shaken, Ally tried her best to calm herself and made her way to the Riften gate to meet Marcurio. As Ally exited the gate, she noticed Marcurio and the town guard squatting on the ground engaged in some sort of game. There were septims strewn about the dirt as the men took turns rolling dice. The guard laughed and swept all of the septims over to his side. Marcurio spotted Ally and the two set off for Fort Greenwall. It was the closest bandit camp and the most threatening to Shor's Stone.

There was very little subtelty in Marcurio's approach to combat. Ally was amazed at the wizard's skill in battle, deftly using his Flesh spells as protection and dispatching bandits with bolts of lightning. The smell of singed flesh and hair was not something Ally felt she'd ever get used to. Marcurio kept a running commentary with Ally mid-fight, it didn't seem to bother him in the least, but she found herself unable to focus, all of the mage's chatter along with her incident in the marketplace weighed heavily on her mind. She finally asked that he remain quiet, which he did, begrudgingly. She could still hear him talking quietly to himself as the skirmishes continued. The bandits guarding the exterior of the camp gave little resistance to Ally and Marcurio.

FortGreenwall003.png

Ally found her movements with the greatsword to be very fluid, and surprisingly very natural for her. She also got a chance to use the Restoration magick that Wylandriah had taught her. She was able to cut down one bandit for every three that Marcurio eliminated. Ally refused to rummage through a dead man's possessions, but Marcurio had no such honor, cutting open purses and emptying its contents gleefully into his own. After Marcurio was finished scavenging, the two headed inside the fort.

"There are forts like this all over Skyrim. Imperials built them a long time ago," said the mage. Ally remained quiet, focused. "Just look at this place. Is this what passes for a fort in Skyrim? These timber supports are rotted through. It's a wonder this place is still standing." For every few feet of ground they covered, Marcurio had an opinion.

Ally and Marcurio were able to clear the inside of the fort also with little resistance taking most foes on two versus one. Ally employed her best defensive techniques as Marcurio poured on the damage from afar.

"Most bandits are cowards. These seem braver than most. These bandits are desperate men. They have nothing to lose and they fight like it. Sad that men of such fortitude chose a life of crime," continued Marcurio, "Hey look, webs."

Ally examined the webbing covering an entrance and started chopping at it with her greatsword.

"Stand aside fair miss," said Marcurio as a gout of flame erupted from his hand incinerating the webbing. Marcurio flashed a huge grin at his partner. "With a master of magic at your side, you'll have nothing to worry about." Ally stepped through the burnt webbing and rolled her eyes at the brash young mage.

The Black-Toes were breeding spiders, Ally concluded. She surmised that these may be the same brood of spiders that suddenly attacked the mine at Shor's Stone. Marcurio led the way further into the spider nest, burning webs as he went along. Within minutes, the nest was cleared, another half-dozen spiders killed along with their egg mounds. Noting nothing else of interest or value, the two set off for the second Black-Toe encampment, Treva's Watch.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Tharas Frostborn - Dawnstar

It was late at night when Tharas Frostborn stepped off the dock in the town of Dawnstar, the ship he had spent the past 10 years of his life working aboard already sailing back off into the sea, leaving poor Tharas beyond with only a dagger, a few septims and rags for clothes. The moon was high in the sky as the young Nord began to trek across the town. He could feel the gaze of everyone he walked past watching him, marking him as a foreigner. Though he had been born and raised in Skyrim, there was little that felt like home. As Tharas approached the local inn, a guard stepped in front of him.

"New in town?" the guard asked, his arms crossed. The guard didn't seem like he was in any trouble, so Tharas nodded. "You picked a bad time to come to Dawnstar, friend."

"Oh? And why is that?" Tharas asked, crossing his own arms.

"Folks around here have been having nightmares," the guard answered, looking over his shoulder at inn behind him. "Whole lot of ruckus up there this morning. You should be alright though," he said, patting Tharas on the shoulder. "Doesn't seem to affect strangers." And with that, the guard continued trecking through the snow-covered road through town. Curious by these dreams, and also in need of a room for the night, Tharas continued on into the inn.

"It's a curse, it has to be!" shouted someone the moment Tharas opened the door. "I've got to get out of this town!" As Tharas continued in, it would appear that the someone was a female Nord, obviously in a state of hysterics.

"Irgnir, please, get ahold of yourself," pleaded another female Nord. The two both appeared to be miners. "They're just dreams. Please, tell her Erandur." She turned her gaze to a robed Dunmer.

"Listen to your friend, Irgnir," he said, his voice both commanding and reassuring. "They are just dreams, my dear. I assure you that they are quite normal."

"It's the same dream over and over again. You think that's normal? It's evil I tell you!"

"Erandur, she has a point," said Fruki, placing a hand on her hip. "You keep telling us no harm will follow these dreams, but they must be an omen." The group around the Dunmer broke into a burst of chatter until the innkeeper silenced them.

"Everyone, please. I'm doing all that I can," said the Dunmer. "In the meantime, all I ask is that you remain strong and put your trust in Lady Mara." This seemed to pacify the crowd, but not Tharas, a man who put little stock in faith. As the crowd dispersed, Tharas approached the Dunmer. "What troubles you my son?"

"Aside from the men I've spent the past decade working with kicking me off their boat... I'm curious about these dreams I'm hearing so much about?"

"Ah yes," the dunmer began, his hands on his hips. "The whole town is being plagued by terrible nightmares and although the situation is quite serious, I'm afraid there's little I can do about it."

"But dreams aren't real. How can they cause anyone any harm, aside from an unpleasant night's sleep?"

"Were these any other dreams, friend, I'd agree with you," The dunmer lowered his voice, leaning closer. "But these dreams are caused by the Daedric prince Vaermina. She hungers for memories, and these dreams are the echos of her presence as she feeds. Perhaps you'd be willing to help?"

"Help with what? A town full of folk up in arms over dreams and you claim they come from the Daedra?" Tharas laughed and brushed past the Dunmer towards the innkeeper, hearing the Dunmer trail off with something like 'if you should change your mind.' "Excuse me, innkeeper, how much for a room?"

"The names Thoring, lad," said the innkeeper as he looked up from the glass he was cleaning. "and it's 10 septims for the day." Tharas agreed to take a room and handed Thoring the gold, asking him if he knew of any work around town. "Dawnstar is home to two mines, rivals at that. There's the Iron-Breaker mine, owned by Beitild. Nasty woman she is, but don't tell her I said that. Her husband, Leigelf, owns Quicksilver mine. The two are damn competitive and aren't exactly on good terms... I wouldn't get involved." Tharas thanked Thoring before the innkeeper showed him to his room. "There's some clothes in the dresser - help yourself. Consider it my welcoming present to ya." Tharas thanked the man before finally laying down to sleep. There was a book on the dresser, A Cabin in the Woods, which Tharas began to read. It was a horror story, although it wasn't particularly scary. But still, if this is the kind of reading provided by the local inn, no wonder those in the town are having nightmares. It was mere minutes before Tharas dozed off into a deep sleep.

K3V!N

Nerlo Darellius - Imperial

Everything ached, his hands, his back. He fumbled down the steps, bleary-eyed at the morning’s hour, towards another days work, another day of uncertainty. The putrid stench of death hung hazily in the air around Windhelm. He fleetingly thought of the butcher and those he had slayed, perhaps he had gotten another one overnight. The thought briefly disgusted him and he let out a quick shudder before moving on.
    Windhelm was peaceful at this time of morning. The guards sleepily staggered, torches in hand on their regular patrol routes, their boots clicking soothingly against the slate ground. The sun, creeping over the horizon with its pinkish hue cast a glow on the otherwise drab city, bringing to life its dreary façade. He closed his eyes as a cool wind blew against his face, his week old whiskers swaying in the wind. He felt the sudden urge to chuckle, perhaps the pure exhaustion he felt or the hunger that constantly gnawed inside him brought a delirious tickle to the surface. In truth, he had come around. Perhaps, even he was thinking differently of the Nords of the north. What of the Torbjorn Shatter-Shields and Captain Lonely-Gales of the world? These are not men that can be broadly painted with the brush of Stromcloak or Imperial, racist or tolerant. What of, even Tulvur, a simple man conducting himself in an honorable manner? In truth, these times seemed not times of conscious and questions, but times of action, and these men had seemingly chosen the faction to which they align themselves with by simply choosing to live here. But what choice did they have? The experience of escaping Windhelm has been no less maddening as it has been easy.

These questions of humanity would have to wait for now as he neared Brandy-Mug Farm. He spoke with Bolfrida, an imposing yet friendly woman about tending the crop. It was the same routine as before; rusted scythe, chop the wheat bushels, bound and tie, load. He was thankful for Tulvur’s patience and persistence in guiding him the previous day as he hacked through the wheat much more smoothly than before. Despite the stiffness in his muscles, he was finished in half the time it took him at Hollyfrost. Bolfrida offered fourty septims and two chicken eggs which he gladly took.

It was hardly mid-morning when he reached Hlaalu Farms next door. The owner, a Dunmer man by the name of Belyn welcomed him to assist with the harvest. Once again, he hacked and chopped through the wheat and once again he found himself moving more quickly than his previous jobs. As he tossed the last bail of wheat into the farmhouse the sun had just risen to its midday point. Belyn offered him fifty-five septims and two chicken eggs, just as Bolfrida had, as his days’ pay. He took the gold and slid the warm eggs into his pockets beside the other two, careful not to crack them.

As he left Hlaalu he realized he had helped each farm complete its harvest for the season, and there would not be work for the foreseeable future. With the sun at its highest point and the temperature as warm as it would get he made his way to the river once more for his daily ritual.

The water felt, warmer, today. Was he just getting used to it or was it actually warmer? The fishing had gotten easier. Despite daily forays; the river somehow kept producing fish and each day there seemed to be between fourteen and twenty to be plucked from the water. The horkers looked on peacefully as he pulled himself to the shoreline, his old tunic-turned-net wriggling with fish. Despite the stories of brutal horker attacks that chilled the blood of many a sailor, these seemed docile and content, they got their fish and he got his. The docks across the way were their usual flurry of activity, argonians tanning hides, city guards eyeing them suspiciously, the North Wind still docked in harbor. Despite his nudity and the peculiarity of his activity, no one stopped to notice him.

In market, it all felt very rehearsed. Hillevi greeted him as if greeting an old friend, eyeing the tunic-turned-net bulging with exuberance. He still felt cheated by the fact that she charged nine times what she paid for the fish he brought in. In his research though, he had come to find this was the going price for all the vendors, or maybe just the going price for an Imperial, the truth was probably somewhere in between. She did ask him something peculiar; to take nightshade extract to someone called Wuunferth the Unliving, the wizard in Ulfric Stormcloak’s court. He couldn’t tell if she was trying to get him killed or if it was a legitimate request. He considered it for a moment as he studied her face, deciding that she was serious but didn’t consider the repercussions of sending an Imperial into the belly of the proverbial beast, and politely declined. Nevertheless, she took all the fish and the eggs and provided a couple bottles of ale and seared slaughterfish in exchange.

Back at the Candlehearth, Elda took another ten septims for the evenings rent. He dropped the small food cache off in his room, grabbed the ale, and made for the city. He smiled as Nils shouted to him in his regular senile manner, “can’t just throw the big logs on the fire, gotta have the little bits too!”

It was evening now and the vendors would soon turn in, pouring into the taverns or their homes for supper and drink. In contrast to how the day started, the city was now frenetic with activity. The vendors scurried along, closing down their shops for the evening. The blacksmith pounded away at a piece of iron he had been working on for several days.

This evening though, ale in hand, he strolled through the marketplace, down through the cemetery where a priestess stood hovering over a grave. He once again noticed several bushels of mountain flower and snow berries growing wildly out of the stonework to which he helped himself to. He sat on the stone ledge in front of one of the houses in the residential district. This is as good a place as any.

He squeezed the cork in the tiny bottle of ale popping it open. The sound echoed off the walls of the houses. They stood as colossal structures; each one, he examined, must have had five or six rooms to them. The aged wood and stone spoke to the heritage of the city,how many generations must have come and gone until now? Smoke billowed out of the chimney’s filling the air with that old familiar smell of burning pine. One could not visit a city in Tamriel without that scent, the one thing all had in common.

Darkness began to creep over the city walls as he sipped the bitter ale. With darkness came the uneasy feeling that something was lurking in the shadows. As the sun went down so too did the temperature and soon the only warmth he could feel was that in his belly from the ale. As he turned to make his way back to the Candlehearth he was stopped,

Would you like to buy some flowers?” A young woman asked. The torch she was holding obscured her face as he squinted into the light, the warmth from the flame bringing some feeling back to his appendages.

No, thank you.” He said, peering around the torch.

You sure? I’ve got blue and red mountain flower.” She insisted, holding forth her sampling. Their eyes met for a moment which made him nervous. He could tell she was beautiful, perhaps the most beautiful woman he’d seen in months. At sea, it had been only open water and the crew. His back stiffened as he forced himself into a more proper position.

Yes, sorry, I wouldn’t have anyone to give them to. They are beautiful, though.” He said. She leaned up against the wall, setting her things down and positioning the torch precariously against the wall. He tried to study her in glances, careful not to stare. He could tell she was a nord, on the younger side too.

Expecting someone?” She asked.

No, just thought I might get some fresh air, things get a little stale up at the inn.” He took a sip from the ale, and then jiggled the bottle feigning a nervous smile.

Just thought I’d ask, that’s my house there,” she gestured to the house behind them, “my Father gets a lot of visitors so I thought maybe…” Her voice trailed off as she gazed towards the ground. There was certain sadness to the girl, or perhaps a disinterest that he couldn’t quite grasp.

I do have this other bottle of ale, you’re free to join me if you’d like.

That’s alright, I’m fine.” She replied, her eyes still fixed on the ground in front of her.

Nerlo by the way, Nerlo Darellius.” He said, extending his hand, “Nice to meet your acquaintance.” Her head snapped towards his, her eyes stared intently.

Nilsine Shatter-Shield.” She said clenching her jaw, “I already know who you are.

Do you?

You’re the one that’s been keeping my father drunk on mead or whatever, ale, the last few nights.” She scowled as she turned to him.

Umm…

Are you some kind of alcoholic? Is that extra bottle for him?” She said accusingly moving in closer, revealing a deep vein that had begun to rise across her forehand.

Of course not!” He quickly slid the ale bottles behind his back.

What, did he ask you to buy him a drink? Did you think that would help?” His eyes danced around searching for the city guards.

Yea, he asked me to buy him a drink, what of it?

It’s not what he needs right now.

How am I supposed to know what he needs? I’m just staying at the inn; he’s the one that’s been coming in every night. Who am I to deny him a drink or two?

Look, I’m sure he told you about my twin-sister, did he not? Do you have any idea what that’s like? Losing someone close to you? My father says we need to just get on with our lives. Like it’s that easy. Maybe for him through his mead-soaked point of view.” She picked up the basket and gathered herself. She faced away from him for some time before turning around. He felt awkward as he looked her in the eye and in that moment he wished to be anywhere else but there. “When he comes home at night, drunk, he’s just, distant. I’m afraid my mother is taking the same path, I caught her up at the inn in the middle of the day drunk on mead sobbing uncontrollably.” Her voice cracked as tears began to well in her eyes, she began up the stairs to the house; he turned to her quickly,

It’s not really my place, but, don’t you think…

You’re right, it’s not your place.” She snapped back, “what do you care anyways?” She wiped at her eyes, letting out a few sniffles. “If you have any decency at all Nerlo Darellius, you won’t aid in helping my father drink his life away.” She flung open the door, pausing for a moment in the doorway, then proceeded to slam it, sending a dozen crows flying off the rooftop.

He sat for a moment, his jaw still hanging open as he tried to compose himself. He grabbed his bottles of ale and headed towards the Candlehearth. He thought about their encounter as he trudged through the now dimly lit pathways, he knew he would see Torbjorn at the inn and was torn between telling him what had happened and respecting her wishes. What was going on with the Shatter-Shields? Torbjorn had always seemed well despite the circumstances he found himself in. And what of the Mother? As he walked up the steps to the inn, he dreaded the thought of what awaited him inside.

Hey now, there’s my favorite drinking buddy, let’s get ourselves some mead!” Torbjorn and Captain Lonely-Gale sat at the downstairs bar, as if awaiting his arrival, readily perched with mead in hand. He did his best to look tired, dragging his feet against the ground,

Thanks Torbjorn but I couldn’t possibly tonight.” He said, heading straight for the hallway.

Aww, come on! Just the one? I want to hear how Windhelm’s newest resident got along today.

“It was fine, I’m just, tired. It was an early start. I will tell you all about it tomorrow.” Torbjorn and the Captain eyed him as he made it to the door of his room. He flung himself on the bed, burying his head in the pillow for a few moments. He could hear Torbjorn bellowing with the Captain, reveling jovially even.

He knelt down and said a prayer to the Gods, please get me out of Windhelm. Readying himself for bed, he decided he'd try Anga's Mill in the morning, at least it was far enough away from the city and he wouldn't risk running into Nilsine or Torbjorn.

He conducted his nightly inventory before crawling into bed, his mind trailed off to thoughts of home:
    Tunic
    Footwraps
    Clothes
    Hide Boots
    Iron Dagger
    Seared Slaughterfish
    Wine
    Ale
    Sixty-Two Septims

Stutta

The sun still slept when Cyrus awoke. He needed to meditate on his dream from the previous night. It had been so vivid, as if he’d watched from great heights an even greater struggle. The Redguard silently gathered his belongings and followed the nearby river alone. He continued until the moonlit shadow of Solitude cast itself upon the insignificant man. The magnitude of the recent events began to set in. Cyrus had fled Hammerfell an innocent nomad turned prey. He missed his home and his people, but he could never return. This new land was all that was left for him. He thought of Falion, Idgrod and Benor. He respected the natives. They worked hard for whatever they could scavenge and led lives no more comfortable than his own. One day, he would learn to understand them better, but for now, to avoid his new life coming unravelled, he needed to resolve certain conflicts within. He would do his best to uncover the remains of his ship, ‘Wind’, and discover whether or not any other survivors had washed ashore.

He returned to Dragonbridge as day broke with a purpose. He woke Benor and announced that he would search the shoreline for signs of his old ship. That it was necessary for him to continue.

“You’re not big on rest are you fella? You’ve got the determination of an ox but the sense of humour of a rock,” he grumbled, “If you’re nice, maybe I’ll teach you a thing or two about conversation.” The Nord begrudgingly strapped on his armour, his head pounding due to the many drinks from the night before. “How did you end up in these parts anyways? You don’t seem like the type to settle in the cold.”

“I was accused of murder,” replied Cyrus, “but I am innocent. I was forced to flee from the Alik’r. I was to make the ‘Wind’ my new home, but it was ripped from me, as was the desert. I lost everything I once knew as I was thrust into this new life.”

Benor looked at his friend in a new light. “You know, mead can only help forget, you may want to give it a try. Works well enough for me.” Cyrus realized he knew no more of Benor than the giant man had known of him. Perhaps their mutual respect had grown out of a sense of familiarity. Perhaps they had recognized shared lost lives and forgotten friends in each other, pondered Cyrus.

The two friends followed the coast around Solitude for quite some time. With little hope of success, Cyrus wished more to be able to leave his old life in the past, to be able to move on, without any doubt in his mind that there was anything still left.

The two men passed the East Empire Trading Company warehouse where they inquired as to the news on any wrecks in the area. The men there seemed to simply work the docks as labour and few rumours had been shared with them. Somewhat dismayed, our two adventurers continued on nonetheless. Nearing a lighthouse around the bend, Cyrus caught ear of several words spoken in his native tongue. He glanced around, making out a ship moored on shore, hidden by the trees. Filled with cautious optimism, he instructed Benor to wait for his return for the matter was personal. He walked up to the ship yelling out, “Sen mongo mangai. Tang to-raga.”

The two men working the deck turned to look at each other. A smile parted their lips as they both drew their swords. Cyrus let out a yell as he cloaked himself in a protective spell that Falion had taught him. He unsheathed his axe, swinging it at the circling men. Benor came sprinting to the fray, anxious for a fight as the sailors closed in around the lone Redguard. The two proceeded to dispatch their enemies.

Seeing the disappointment on Cyrus’ face, Benor explained, “These, my friend, are corsairs. You ought to be careful running into hidden ships alone. You don’t want to get a sword in your back without someone to watch it for you.” Cyrus was well aware of the dangers of being outnumbered, but he appreciated the Nord’s concern nevertheless.

“Since we’re already knee-deep, may as well explore. Oh and this nifty sword may suit you a little better than your axe,” said Benor, tossing Cyrus a scimitar he’d uncovered. Cyrus gave the weapon a couple swings. He recognized the weight as Alik’r construction. Satisfied, he strapped his old axe around his back, making room for the scimitar at his hip. The two cleared out the rest of the pirate ship, filling their pockets with gold along the way. It seemed the corsairs must have been drunk on their spoils or overly confident in their hiding place. As the attackers encountered each group of two or three defenders, those on lower decks seemingly ignored the sounds of slaughter coming from above. Finally arriving in the captain’s room, where the leader of the corsairs was nowhere to be found, the two friends looked at each other, exhausted from the battle and collapsed into the chairs seated around an extravagant dinner.

“It is nice having one to share the spoils of battle with. We have fought hard, and rest is well deserved.”

“Aye, it seems this meal’s previous owner is now impaled in his bed, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.” The two men looked at the platters of seared fish, vegetables and wine laid out before them. “Here, try this Alto Wine, you deserve to celebrate.”

Cyrus looked at Benor, hesitant to let the liquor pass his lips. His friend was insistent though and he gave in, washing a plate of slaughterfish down with a couple swigs, resulting in a grimace and a slight cough.

“Ah, you’ll get used to it,” laughed Benor. Cyrus wasn’t so sure. The sour liquid didn’t sit well in his stomach.

The rest of the feast was thoroughly enjoyed. Benor spoke of his deceased family and how he’d been raised with nothing and very little sympathy from the townsfolk. “Look at me now though, huh?” He retorted. Cyrus spoke of the man he’d once called his protector, and his previous nomadic way of life. “Sounds like you don’t live so differently now,” jabbed Benor, “rarely sleeping in the same bed twice.”

The two finally emerged from the ship. The sun still shone bright so they continued along the coastline for a little longer. They stumbled onto a tiny treasure hunters' camp built next to a ship which must have been blown into the coast by a storm, for it was split in two along the center. They dispatched the residents of the camp, and Benor waited ashore while Cyrus plunged into the icy water, eager to check for signs of the ‘Wind’. He emerged without any success.

Night approached and Benor was anxious to return to a tavern, so the two called the end of their day, returning to the Winking Skeever in Solitude. After having sold off the sack of loot he’d gathered from his adventures, Cyrus once again left Benor at the bar as he retreated to his room. The Redguard was having a hard time coming to grips with this new culture and land. He reminded himself that with time, he’d fit in just as did the rest of his people.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Waking up at Windpeak Inn

Tharas awoke late in the morning, the sunlight alright pouring in through his window. He sat on the side of his bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes when there was a knock at the... well, not a door, but the entrance into his room - it was Thoring. "Morning," he said, carrying a plate that contained a chunk of bread and some form of meat in one hand and a bottle of mead in the other. "Complimentary breakfast, provided by the inn. If you want lunch or dinner, that'll cost ya." Tharas motioned for the meal to be placed on the dresser with a sleepy thanks. "If you're planning to work in the mines, you'll want to get started early. It's the only real work done here in Dawnstar, and it's not exactly easy work."

"This city is a mining town?" he asked, removing his ragged shirt as he stood up and began searching the dresser for the clothes Thoring had mentioned the night before. "Seems large for such a small occupation."

"Aye, well, Dawnstar was once much larger, but those were days long, long ago," said Thoring, helping himself to a piece of the bread he had offered while Tharas continued to dress. "What you see now is just the remnants of our once great and powerful little Dawnstar. Now we mostly mine with little oceanic trade, but Solitude handles most of it, especially since the war." Tharas nodded in acknowledgment as he pulled on his new shoes and began tearing into the beef.

"And what of this war? Where does Dawnstar sit?"

"The jarl has taken Ulfric's side, I believe in part to the former bond we had with Solitude being dwindled to nothing over the years," Thoring explained as Tharas tensed on the bed side. "There's a few Imperials in the city, Brina and Horik... they don't exactly get along with the jarl, but he can't exactly do anything since they're no longer part of the Empire." Tharas nodded and quickly finished his meal and asked where the mines were. "The Quicksilver mine is located across from the dock. Iron-Breaker is out the door and to your right a ways. They're both pretty good about strangers workin' for them and keep spare tools in the mine. Quicksilver even has some food for you to enjoy." Tharas thanked him and headed off towards Quicksilver mine.

The next few hours, Tharas spent them swinging a pickaxe he had found lying on the floor. The work was tiring but also therapeutic in a way. It felt to finally get out all of his frustrations towards the Stormcloaks, towards his former captain, towards everything... There was little Tharas had left in this life and, when he actually considered it, there was nothing. He had lost both his parents, his home and now the only job he had ever known. He recalled how his parents had once planned for him to be a great warrior and now look at him: poor and with only rags and rust to his name. Where once the name of Frostborn had meant strength and influence, now it carried no worth except for that in memory. And then, Tharas realized, it was memory that spurred him onward. The memory of his father's legacy and hopes for his son that led him to try and restore what was lost. His father had once been a champion of the Nords, a hero in his own right, and he had been struck down by a man who claimed him a traitor because of Ulfric... Tharas felt that fire burn in his belly as he made his way to Iron-Breaker to begin even more work, a snowstorm now clouding the skies.

Was it really a desire to restore his family's honor that drove Tharas, or was it a desire for revenge? And if so, revenge upon whom? A nameless Stormcloak warrior? Ulfric himself? Where did Tharas truly put the blame for his father's death and the dishonor of the family name? He didn't know; he couldn't know. His time away from Skyrim had caused him to develop a certain naivety for the land he had once called home. Tharas had been mining for only a few minutes before he threw his pickaxe down into the dirt and left the mine. His anger had reached a boiling point - he needed the cold air of the snowfall to cool him down. He walked through town until the clanging of steel caught his attention. There was a man on the deck of the house beside him, his face lit only by the fires of the forge.

"I thought this was only a mining village," said Tharas as he walked up beside the railing. The forge worker turned to him and nodded.

"Aye, mostly mining... and I mostly do work for the ships that pass through, though most are too superstitious to give me work." He continued to pound out a piece of steel.

"Superstitious? About what?"

"We're the last port before Windhelm, and the ore we mine can be quite valuable... we get a lot of pirates around these parts and some captains have been linking anything related to Dawnstar to bad luck." The man put his hammer down and shook his head. "These dreams don't exactly help that notation any." With that, the man went back to work on his steel. As Tharas watched him, he remembered his father... not only a great warrior, but an excellent smith. His father had once promised to teach him the fine art, but had not lived long enough to do so.

"Tell me, friend... are ships the only thing you work on? What about armor, and weapons?" The forge worker put his hammer down and stood up straight, walking over to the railing.

"Fancy yourself a miner turned warrior then, friend?"

"No," Tharas said, looking up into the forger's eyes. "I fancy myself a warrior's son, eternal." There was a brief pause before the forge worker nodded.

"Alright then. I'll help you out, on two conditions." Tharas smiled and began making his way up to the stairs to the forge, asking what the worker might have him do. "First, I don't have raw materials to spare - you'll have to get those yourself. Second, my wife is with child. We fear her people's lineage might be lost to him, and we can't have that. If you promise to find and bring as the book Night Falls on Sentinel, I promise to teach you to smith."

"And what is your wife's lineage, if you don't mind my asking?"

"She's a Redguard and I am a Nord, like yourself." And in that moment, Tharas felt a feeling he had not known since he was a child - that feeling of home. Like his own parents, here was a baby on the way that was to be born of both Nord and Redguard, here in Skyrim. As Tharas cast a glance at the smiling Redguard woman on the bench beside him, her stomach showing only the smallest of bulges, he saw for a brief moment his mother. And when he turned back to the forge worker, he saw his father. "The name's Rustleif, friend. Do we have a deal?" Tharas nodded, shaking the man's hand and introducing himself. "Well Tharas, when you find yourself with the materials, or the coin to buy them, stop on by." Tharas nodded and shook the man's hand one more time before dashing back off to Iron-Breaker mine.

When Tharas had dug all the ore he could carry, he left Iron-Breaker. He had asked one of the miner's if the ore was free to those who dug, who replied with a horrified no. Beitild owned the mine and, by right, owned all the ore found within. To dig the ore and take it was to steal it. Beitild only paid people to dig her ore - she did not pay for the ore itself. So when Tharas left the mine, he searched around the entrance for this Beitild... but not seeing her, he returned to Quicksilver mine. He sold the ore he had dug there for a hefty price, the jingling of septims in his pockets made him quite happy. He then approached Lond, the man working at the smelter. He convinced the man to smelt the iron he had dug from Iron-Breaker for him as a way to strike back at the other mine. A few septims of encouragement, and Tharas returned to Rustleif with 18 iron ingots, a few gemstones, and more than enough gold to purchase the rest of the supplies he needed. Together, the two spent hours forging armor from the iron materials Tharas supplied. Rustleif showed him all of the basics - techniques that could be applied to any smithing, regardless of the material, he said - for forging armor and, indeed, anything. Tharas was a natural and when all was said and done, had forged himself a fine and sturdy set of iron plate armor.

"Now that your armor is out of the way, have you given thought to what you'd like to wield into battle?" Rustleif asked, wiping the set from his brow. His wife, Seren, brought the two something to eat and drink. Rustleif leaned his back against the wall of his home, popping open a bottle of mead while Tharas leaned out over the railing, staring out at the sea. He thought of his father. In his years as an Imperial, his father had used a sword and shield - the standard for most soldiers of his time. He explained this to Rustleif who handed him a sword, but the weighting felt off. The weapon felt weak in his hands, the way a child wields a stick. "I think I know what you need. Why don't you eat down by the sea. When you return, I'll have exactly what you need." And so, Tharas did as he was requested. His dinner was warm enough to negate the cold wind from the sea and snow. He tried his best not to think of his former ship and where it was now. He tried to focus only on the now. The snow storm dispersed around sunset and that was when Tharas returned to the forge to find a beaming Rustleif waiting for him. "Now this," he said, standing aside to reveal a greatsword behind him, "is a weapon for a true warrior of Skyrim." Thanking the man many times over, Tharas took the sword and allowed Rustleif to fit his armor. The sun had long set by the time Tharas wandered into the Windpeak Inn again where the young Nord sat and ordered his meal. To his surprise, it was Erandur that delivered it, taking a seat next to him.

"I see your first day in Dawnstar has been quite successful," the Dunmer said, taking a bite of his salmon steak. "And how do you find our small and troubled city? Feel like home yet?" Tharas took a bite of his own steak and smiled. Yes, Dawnstar did remind him vaguely of home. Was it Skyrim itself? Was it Rustleif and Seren? It was hard to tell. And although the jarl supported the Stormcloaks, a group that this Nord could never forgive or forget, the town was growing on him.

"I've decided to assist you, Erandur," Tharas said, taking a large swig of ale. "I want to help rid Dawnstar of their nightmares. We leave first thing in the morning."

Preparing for Adventure

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Velid Anahill
    Velid woke up very early, around 5 or 6. He got up and went into the main part of the inn and noticed that no one was there. He sat by the fire and read a book titled There be Dragons while he waited for Faendal. Around the time Velid finished the book the barkeep entered the inn. He looked at Velid for a minute and then just stood at the counter. A couple of minutes later Faendal arrived. "Hello, my friend! How did the night suit you?", said Velid as he put the book back on a table. "Good enough, I suppose, though I spent a large portion of it trying to find out more about these, "Moldering Ruins". I didn't get very far. All I learned is that travellers have gone missing in it's vicinity. When are we leaving?", replied Faendal. "Right now. Let me just gather my things.", finished Velid as he turned towards his room. He went through the door and put on his armor and took his pack of supplies. He walked out and beckoned for Faendal to come out the door with him. They left and saw that the sun was just coming up. "Beautiful, isn't it? This is one of the reasons I came to Skyrim.", said Faendal. Velid thought about and realised that he hadn't really paid attention to the scenery, as he had always been rather rushed. "Ya. Makes you think.", he replied. They watched it for a few more minutes before heading off in the direction of Whiterun, their first stop.
    "Shh. Don't. Move. A muscle.", said Velid as he got on the ground, "I see a deer." Both he and Faendal nocked arrows and aimed. Velid let his fly, hitting the animal in the rump. Faendal shot his, hitting it in the neck. Velid wasted half of his arrows on the deer, which got away. "Damn it! I shouldn't have wasted my arrows on that damned deer!", shouted Velid as he stomped around angrily. "Hey, Velid, it's just one deer.", said Faendal consolingly. "I know, I know. Let's get walking.", said Velid. He turned back towards Whiterun and began walking. They kept walking until, about 20 minutes later, they rounded a corner and saw a giant. It looked at them and decided they weren't worth his time and returned to walking through the forest. "Wow, another giant! I thought they were rare!", whispered Velid. "They are somewhat, though travellers see them commonly. Some of them are very territorial, and will attack you on sight. Others, however, are quite docile and sometimes even speak our tongue.", said Faendal in a normal voice. They kept walking and eventually arrived at a crossroads in front of the city of Whiterun. They turned and walked along the path leading west.
    "If you're heading east, stay away from Hillgrund's Tomb. Funny thing about old crypts. The dead don't want to sleep.", said a guard as they passed by. Another commented on a place called Brittleshire Pass, saying, "If you're going hunting, stay away from Brittleshin Pass, to the East of here." Velid and Faendal ignored them, focused as they were on the task at hand. They passed the farm where Velid had helped fight a giant and a decrepid old watch tower. Another traveller appeared on the road in front of them. "Hail, friend! One itenerent minstrel at your service!", said the Nord. "A wandering bard, eh? I'm sorry, we don't really have the coin at the moment.", replied Velid. "Ah, too bad. I hope I may meet you again when your coffers are heavier. Goodbye!", said the man as he hummed the tune to an odd song that Velid had heard in the Sleeping Giant. They continued walking and noticed an old leveled shack on the side of the road. Velid walked in to investigate. There he found an old chest under the floor containing four septims. He grabbed them and went back to the road, humming the tune to The Dragonborn Comes.
    After a few more minutes on the road they noticed an old fort. "Fort Greymoor. The place is crawling with bandits.", said Faendal. "Really? I might as well check it out, see if there's anything of value.", replied Velid. He walked up to a fork in the road at the base of the fort and quickly ran up to the wall. He went around the sides until he found a hatch leading into the fort with water coming out of it. He and Faendal entered as silently as possible. He heard five bandits conversing and decided he should probably leave. They exited and chose the southern path, as it headed more west than the other one. He noticed a dead bandit, whom he proceeded to strip of gold. They kept waking along the path meeting a farmer who intended to join the Imperial Legion along the way. The path led them up against a stunning mountain. They kept walking and noticed some old stones. Velid went to investigate and found a large trapdoor, a switch and some turnable pillars. He found what symbol the pillars should be turned to by simply looking around and then pulled the switch. It opened the trapdoor. He walked down and found a skeleton laying next to a chest and nine septims. He pocketed the gold and opened the chest, finding 20 gold, a potion of minor heaing and a book titled A Hypothetical Treachery. He threw them all in his pack, told Faendal and returned to walking. By now it was about noon.
    After another few minutes of walking a couple of Redguards approached the two. "Good mornign! Have you seen a Redguard woman recently? We believe her to be in Whiterun", said one. "Why are you looking for her?", replied Velid. "She is wanted in Hammerfell. If you see her, be sure to tell us. We'll probably be in Rorikstead. Let me mark it on your map.", said the second. They immediately walked off. "How odd.", said Faendal. The two kept walking along the path, where they were attacked by a wolf. Velid caved it's head in and Faendal skinned it while Velid investigated a nearby cave. Inside Faendal caught up with him. Torches lined the cave and led out into a grotto. Two wolves attacked and were promptly killed and skinned. They attacked a rabbit, which Velid put in his pack in case they needed more food. They were promptly attacked by two more wolves, who were killed but not skinned. Velid saw a dead deer, whom he cut a bit of venison from. He got up and heard buzzing, then felt a sharb jab in his back. He turned and saw a green figure made of what appeared to be wood. He ran out of the cave, followed by Faendal, and back onto the path. "A Spriggan!", called Faendal, "They guard the forest!" They quickly continued on the path, breathing heavily. The thing did not appear to be following them.
    They passed another crossroads, and then a large burial mound with stones around it. They continued in fear towards Markarth. They saw some Imperial soldiers at another crossorads. The pair headed for the hamlet known as Rorikstead this time, instead of Markarth. They passed another cave and noticed an obelisk in the distance. They approached it and saw some flowers and gear. Velid tried to lift the shield, but it was too heavy. When he lifted the sword, it crumbled. He took the flowers in case they have some alchemical abilities and left. They kept walking and passed a man who said, "Important deliveries to make! N-no time for chatting." They kept walking along the path and decided to stop in this Rorikstead for the night before taking on the vampires, which were very close. Once in the town he was told that he should investigate a nearby shack, after some small talk with a Mr. Rorik. Velid listened to the mans advice and walked a lttle bit out of town to a shack. There, four skeevers attacked. He dispatched them easily. He opened the door with Faendal and was attacked by two skeevers. They dispatched them and saw a man dead on his bed. They gathered whatever food and supplies were untouched and ran out of there before a ghost or some more skeevers arrived.
    Once back in the town the sun was setting. They entered the inn he was approached by a man who asked him to convince his father, the innkeeper, to let him become an adventurer. Velid said yes and approached the mans father. He tried to convince him top let his sone choose his own destiny. After a long conversation Velid ended up handing over 68 septims to allow the father to buy armor. The man looked dumbfounded and thanked him. Velid went back to tell the son, who he learned was named Erik, the good news. "I can't thank you enough, friend! Maybe you can come back to Rorikstead and we can swap tales of our adventures?", said Erik. The three continued talking as they returned to the inn, where Velid drank away his troubles and bought a couple of rooms, where he and Faendal promptly fell asleep.

MushroomGenius

Allison Liore & Marcurio - Treva's Watch
    AllyStalleo01.png

"Hey you, you that mercenary we hired?" asked the solemn man seated at the fire.

"No, I'm not, but did you need help with something?" Ally asked the man.

"It's my family, the Black-Toes have taken them hostage. They're inside Treva's Watch! Can you help us? We tried an attack, but already lost two of our men," the man pleaded.

"Stalleo, this isn't the mercenary, let them be on their way," said the lone female in their group.

"No, they can help. Please."

Ally looked at Marcurio and agreed to help the man since they had planned to raid Treva's Watch anyway. She promised to keep an eye out for the Stalleo's family and would lower the gate once they were able. Using the escape tunnel that Stalleo had pointed out, the two made quick work of the five bandits inside the tunnel.

TrevasWatch02.png

The fight inside Treva's Watch was a bit more difficult, but the partners managed to get through more in synch with each other after every skirmish.

TrevaswatchDead01.png

They made their way into the prison area, but the cells were empty, there were no signs of Stalleo's family. They did come across some bodies of what looked like farmers, but they were not as Stalleo described. Ally and Marcurio cleared the small fort of all the Black-Toes and made their way out to the courtyard, dispatching the sentries posted outside.

AllyStalleo02.png

Marcurio pulled the lever allowing Stalleo and his two comrades into the courtyard. Ally greeted the group, but had no good news aside from the fort being cleared. Stalleo offered Ally a spell tome as a reward, but she refused it. Marcurio was more than happy to accept on her behalf. Two bandit camps down, one to go.

With the sun setting, Marcurio advised, it was best that they seek shelter for the night. Ally suggested they stop at Darkwater Crossing. She could update Anneke on her meeting with the Jarl and their progress versus the Black-Toes. Marcurio agreed, begrudgingly, much preferring the warmth and hospitality of The Bee and Barb.
    After clearing out Treva's Watch, the two adventurers decided to head off to Darkwater Passing for rest and resupply.

"Is the food any good there?" asked Marcurio, his stomach growling.

"Anneke's a good baker and Tormir made a great lamb stew the last time I was there, hopefully they've got some left, they're not expecting us after all," Ally replied as the two cut through the brush.

"I'm so hungry I'd even eat skeever stew at this point. Hey, what's that?" Marcurio noticed an overturned cart further up the road, its contents strewn about, a man sat near the scene looking distraught.

Telrav01.png

"Help, please! Bandits raided my cart," said the injured man.

"Are you okay? Are they still here?" inquired Ally, surveying the landscape for any sign of the attackers.

"No, they stole my coins and took off down the road, they've been gone a while, but said they'd be back. If you could just help me to my camp, I think I'll be okay. My camp is nearby in the ruins of Nilheim. Get me there safely and you'll be rewarded," said the man struggling to get to his feet. Marcurio grabbed the man's arm and steadied him. "Thank you, it's just across the bridge and up that hill."

Now upright, the man started making his way up the hill ahead of Ally and Marcurio. Any noticeable injury he may have had seemed to have disappeared.

"We're close now. I can see the camp," said the man. "Wait here, I'll be right back with your reward." Suddenly, the man started sprinting up the hill leaving Ally and Marcurio behind. The two heard a whistle and a group of armed men started charging down the hill towards them.

Telrav03.png

"Ha! Looks like we got ourselves another fool! Great job, Telrav!" said one of the men.

Marcurio was quick and accurate with his magic, blasting their foes while Ally worked them with her blade. The men fell despite outnumbering Ally and Marcurio. There was no sign of Telrav however.

Telrav04.png

Suddenly, arrows began raining down on the two, and Ally sprinted up to the hillside above them. Marcurio stayed and fired bolts of lightning up at Telrav, striking him square in the chest just as Ally got there.

They searched the nearby Nilheim ruin, just a simple tower at this point, and found little of value aside from an enchanted piece of iron armor. Ally asked Marcurio if he wanted it, to which he responded, "I am an apprenticed wizard, not a pack mule." They tossed the armor back into the chest they found it in and returned to the road.

Ally and Marucio arrived at Darkwater Crossing late that same evening, Hrefna had already gone to bed unfortunately. The night's meal had also been completely consumed by the camp unaware to save any for unannounced guests. Ally shared some of the food she picked up earlier in the day back in Riften with Marcurio, he was grateful, but still hungry.

As Marcurio jumped at the offer to stay inside Verner and Anneke's farmhouse, Allysian again remained outdoors, more than comfortable sleeping under the stars. Again, in the dead of night, Anneke joined her and chatted next to the warmth of the fire.

AllyAndAnneke01.png

Ally re-lived the conversation she had with Jarl Laila Law-Giver to Anneke, along with their discovery of the spider nest inside Fort Greenwall. She also told her about the Black-Toes at Treva's Watch that they had taken care of. Anneke was definitely impressed by the progress that Ally and Marcurio were making, dealing the Black-Toes significant blow after blow. Ally couldn't help but notice the appreciation in Anneke's eyes, but also the remorse, the look of a life left behind.

Anneke finally decided to turn in for the night, as did Ally. Ally slept soundly on the makeshift hay matress, the breeze that blew off the river keeping her cool until she was awakened by Sondas, the dark elf miner.

"Allysian. Allysian, please, I have a request, it is urgent," he said, shaking her shoulder gently.

Through sleepy eyes, Ally glanced up at the red-eyed face looking down on her. "Sondas, what is it my friend?"

"I overheard that you and your friend are heading to Uttering Hills Cave? That is near Windhelm, I need something from there urgently," he asked, sorrow written on his face.

Ally sat up to give the Dunmer her full attention. "What's the matter?"

AllyAndSondas01.png

"It's Anneke, she's been displaying signs of Crackrock Disease. She's too stubborn to get help, Verner doesn't believe there's anything wrong with her. But I've seen it before, her symptoms are there."

"Crackro-- what?"

"Crackrock Disease. It's an illness that's somewhat common to miners. When you spend all day in the mines, you inhale a lot of minerals into your lungs, oftentimes this causes infection. She looks okay now, but last week she was bed-ridden, feverish, nauseous, coughing non-stop. There's also a rash that's started on her back. She's been trying to hide it, but I happened to notice it while she bathed in the river. She needs help."

Ally, although an experienced alchemist, had never heard of such a disease, but took Sondas' concern to heart. Granted, Ally had not treated many miners in her time. Perhaps Anneke's body had killed off the infection, but chances were high that the next strain could be more resilient. I have to help.

"In Windhelm, there is a shop called The White Phial," continued Sondas, "go see Nurelion, he'll be able to brew a cure for her."

Ally agreed and started gathering her things as the camp started springing to life. Daybreak.

Allysian Liore & Marcurio
    En Route to Uttering Hills Cave & Windhelm

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Tharas Frostborn
    Preparing for Adventure

Tharas awoke long before the sun. For what seemed like hours he sat on the foot of his bed and thought about absolutely nothing. He simply existed, his mind wandering through nothingness while his body sat frozen. When the two were finally rejoined, the deck hand turned miner turned hero began strapping on the pieces of his iron armor. At least, he reached under his bed and slide his greatsword out, sliding it into the strap on the back of his armor. He strode almost silently through the inn, Thoring giving him a knowing nod as he passed. He walked into Erandur's room, the dunmer snoozing oddly peacefully. Tharas gave him a small shake, the dunmer waking violently before rubbing his eyes and focusing on the nord before him. "Ah, so it is time, then?"

"Aye, priest," Tharas said, his eyes cold from beneath his helmet. "Let's go to your temple."

The journey to Nightcaller Temple was uneventful. Erandur led the way up the hill to a crumbled tower that overlooked the town. Over the course of the trip, Erandur did his best to explain the temple. How the people knew it as Tower of the Dawn and how those belonging to Nightcaller Temple had found it long abandoned and had since abandoned it themselves. He had a established a small shrine to Mara within in order to seek her guidance and believed Tharas to be her answer. Tharas was not as sure. There were a few frostbite spiders at the entrance but combined with Erandur's flames and Tharas' blade, they were no match. Before they entered the temple, Erandur told him that before Dawnstar, and Orc war party had invaded the Temple in an attempt to get revenge for the dreams they suffered. Those within released some sort of gas called Miasma to put everyone to sleep. He said that when they entered the temple, the gas would disperse and those asleep would most likely awaken. Tharas had a feeling this was the real reason he had been invited. When the two entered the temple, Tharas poked around at the books lying around while Erandur opened a path behind the alter. There was a particular book, Lost Legends, that seemed interesting, so he slipped it into his pack.

"Now I can show you the source of the nightmares," said Erandur, as the two entered through the secret passage. He lead Tharas to a window that looked down into a large chamber. At the bottom stood a staff that emitted some sort of red aura. "There. The Staff of Corruption. We must destroy it if Dawnstar is to be free. Follow me." The two descended down a staircase through some sort of purple mist, presumably the Miasma. As they neared the bottom, two Orc buddies stirred up ahead. Tharas and Erandur wasted no time in attacking the two Orcs and, when the battle was over, Tharas slumped against the wall. "Are you alright, friend?"

"Fine," Tharas panted, shaking his head. "I've just never really... had to fight for my life before." There was a moment of silence until Tharas finally stood up and motioned towards the aura that emanated from the doorway ahead of them. "What's that?"

"It would seem the priests activated this barrier when the Miasma was released," Erandur said, studying it a bit more closely. "It's impossible to breach... unless... I might know a way," he said, turning around, "but I must check the library and confirm it can be done."

"Library?" Tharas asked, having seen no indication there this place would house a library. "How do you know so much about this temple, friend?" Erandur sighed, putting his mace back on his hip before shaking his head.

"I supposed there's no point in keeping it secret any longer. I was once a priest of Vaermina. When the orcs attacked, I fled, leaving my brothers and sisters to die. I've spent the past few decades living in regret and seeking redemption and, through Mara, I will have it. Now come along, I still have the key to the library."

"Hold, Erandur," Tharas said, holding out an arm to stop the Dunmer. "If you were once a priest of Vaermina, than you must know how this Skull of Corruption is affecting Dawnstar."

"I believe that it has been so far out of reach for so long, that it's begun reaching out on it's own to feed on memories. Dawnstar is merely the closest place. That is why it must be destroyed." Tharas simply nodded and stood aside to allow Erandur to pass, Tharas following right behind. As Tharas past an iron window that was nearly within reach of the Skull, it was as if a voice echoed a single word through his skull: Murderer. "It's just up here," Erandur called back to Tharas who quickly caught up to the Dunmer. "Be careful. We'll no doubt fine more awaken within."

And more awaken within there were. The two battled through several Vaermina Priests and Orc Invaders alike. Thankfully, the Orcs seemed to have retainer their hatred for the priests over the decades of sleep and the duo was able to capitlize upon the confusion. Together, they carved a bloody path down to the center of the library. When the battle calmed, Erandur cursed that most of the library's tomes had been burned. He told Tharas to look for a book on alchemy entitled The Dreamstride. The nord looked through every shelf before scrambling over a fallen piece of stone to find the book on the second level. He looked down and spotted Erandur still searching below, she the nord opened the book and began reading a bit. The tome mentioned a potion that could allow one to vanish from reality, relive someone's memories, and appear elsewhere. Tharas, though not entirely a scholar, could see the Dunmer's plan a mile ahead and brought the book down to him. He went on to explain what Tharas had already known, but when on to say that a laboratory located off the library might contain a sample. Beyond, in the laboratory, more awaken met the two but were also dispatched quickly. After this battle, Tharas felt to his knees, his weigh placed upon his greatsword. "Are you injured?" Erandur asked, placing a hand on Tharas' shoulder.

"No, I'm alright," he answered, panting between words before spitting on the ground. "I don't know why I'm so exhausted," Tharas confessed. "My head is killing me."

"It's most likely a side-effect of the Miasma that still lingers," Erandur reassured him. He reached down and tore off a piece of fabric from one of the dead priest's garments and handed it to Tharas. "Breath through this, it may help." Tharas took the cloth and nodded, taking a few large breaths that made absolutely zero difference. He tossed the cloth to the floor and rose to his feet, saying he was fine. "If you're sure... then we need to find the Torpor. It should be around here, somewhere, check the bottom level." Tharas nodded and went off to investigate. The bottom level was full of shelves stocked with various potions and ingredients. He grabbed the few potions he could find as well as two Daedra Hearts that were on the shelves. Tharas did not mess with alchemy, but he knew from all his work as a deck hand that these fetched a fair price. At last, Tharas found the Torpor and returned to Erandur. "Excellent, now drink it. There is little time."

"Me? Why do I have to drink it?" Tharas asked, handing the bottle to Erandur.

"I am now a sworn priest of Mara," he said, pushing the phial back. "It will only work for priests of Vaermina, or those unaffiliated. I believe that that would be you." Tharas looked at the bottle in his hand and then back to Erandur. "Although I've never taken it myself or seen it be taken, I can assure you it works." Tharas simply nodded, uncorked the bottle, and drank. Tharas felt nothing at first, and then he truly felt nothing, as if sinking into an intangible ocean. Slowly, feeling returned, and although his vision was blurry and bright, Tharas was in the past - in a priest's memory. Two other priests stood before him, talking about how the orcs could not be held off and that in order to protect the Skull of Corruption, the Miasma had to be released. One turned towards Tharas, addressing him as 'Brother Casimir', tell him to release the Miasma. When Tharas answered, he found his voice to be that of Erandur's. This was his dream. And so, Tharas (or rather Casimir) ran through the Nightcaller Temple, past Orcs and Priests as they battled until he reached the other side of the doorway where, in the present, there was a barrier. Tharas pulled the chain and slowly, the gas of the Miasma began to leak out. His vision cracked with purple and he felt himself being ripped backwards, the castle crumbling around him, until he was back in the present, right where he had been in the dream. Tharas turned to his left and knocked the encased soul gem to the floor where it sputtered once... twice... and the barrier dissipated. Erandur was alright waiting on the other side.

"That was amazing!" he exclaimed, patting Tharas on the shoulder. "You simply vanished, and here you are now! Oh, how I envy you - getting to witness history through the eyes of another. What was it like?"

"It was," Tharas began, his voice trailing, "an enlightening experience."

"Oh, I have no doubt it was! Now hurry, we must destroy the Skull. Lead on, my friend." Tharas nodded and drew his sword, taking point. While the two walked, the nord contemplated what he had seen... what it all meant. Erandur had been the one that released the Miasma, yet why had he not fallen asleep like the rest? How had he escaped while his supposed brothers and sisters fell into a decades long sleep? Tharas pondered all of this as the two carved the way through the remains of the temple into an large, open room - the Skull of Corruption just beyond. That's when Erandur called Tharas to wait as to priests stepped out from the shadows of either side of the room that held the Skull. As Tharas looked up at it, his head hurt more than ever. "Veren... Thorek... you're alive!"

"No thanks to you, Casimir," replied the one named Veren. Tharas recognized him from the dream.

"I no longer use that name. I'm Erandur now, Priest of Mara."

"You're a traitor. You left us to die, running before the Miasma took you!" So Tharas had been right. Erandur had betrayed his brothers and sister and ran for his life to escape the Miasma after activating it upon his fellows.

"No, I... I was scared. I wasn't ready to sleep," Erandur pleaded, his voice stuttering.

"Enough of your lies!" shouted Veren, drawing his sword. "I cannot allow you to destroy the Skull, Priest of Mara!"

"Then you leave me no choice," said Erandur, drawing his mace. At that moment, there was an otherwordly scream from behind Tharas. He and Erandur turned and ducked just in time to avoid the greatsword of an Orc that had awoke behind them, his blade instead striking Veren.

"More treachery!" The priest called, forcing the orc away with a burst of flames. "Kill them all!" The battle that ensued was chaotic. Two priests of Vaermina, Erandur and Tharas, and one, lone Orc battled in a bloody free for all. Veren was the first to fall, his initial wound taking it's tole quickly. The orc was then run through with Tharas blade as Erandur finished of Thorek shortly after. Tharas examined the orc's steel greatsword and hefted it up in his hand. It was somewhat lighter than the iron one that had been forged for him, but felt equally good. Tharas placed the iron sword back into it's strap on his back and carried the steel one.

"I... I knew them," Erandur began, bent over the body of Thorek. "They were my friends, once. Is it Mara's will to torment me so?" he asked of Tharas.

"I cannot say," Tharas replied, looking back up at the Skull, his headache only getting worse. "All I know is that they attacked us. We had no choice." Erandur was silent for a few moments before he rose to his feet.

"You're right. If their death will bring peace to all in Dawnstar, it was only right. Come now, I must perform a ritual for Lady Mara to destroy the Skull." Tharas nodded and Erandur turned towards the skull, the nord close behind. As Erandur began the ritual to destroy the skull, that's when he heard the voice again in his head.

He's deceiving you...

Tharas looked around, the voice no longer seeming to eminate from within his own mind. Instead, the voice seemed to be coming from the Skull itself. Tharas looked to Erandur who had not appeared to hear the voice.

When the ritual is complete, the Skull will be free and he will turn on you... just as he turned on those before.

Tharas shook his head, pressing the heel of his free hand against his forehead.

Quickly! the voice called out to him again, Kill him now! Take the Skull for your own! He cannot be allowed to take it! Vaermina commands you!

Tharas looked down at his right hand, the one that held the steel greatsword, the one that was shaking violently, and then looked at Erandur. Vaermina was right - Erandur had betrayed his friends before, and surely he would betray them again. If Erandur was allowed to have the skull and to turn on Tharas, there would be no defending himself. No, for his own life, Erandur's had to end. With a mighty downward swing, Tharas lodged the blade of his sword into Erandur's right shoulder, the force driving the Dunmer to his knees.

"No!" he cried out, the encantation brewing in his hands beginning to fade. "Why!?" Tharas gave him no answer and simply raised his blade again, delivering another strike. And another. And another. And then Erandur's body went limp atop the alter. Tharas stared up at the Skull before him and reached out with his free hand, grasping it.

Well done, Tharas... well done, indeed.

Tharas Frostborn
    Nightcaller Temple

MushroomGenius

Allysian Liore & Marcurio
    Uttering Hills Cave

UtterHill01.png

"With three beers down, the Orc did frown, and bid the Elf goodbye. For none could know 'twas not for show, and someone had to die." the bandit laughed, reveling in his cleverness, not noticing the two adventurers approaching on foot.

"This is the place," whispered Marcurio.

"Looks easy enough, just the one tone-deaf bandit with the bow," Ally answered, peering through the snowberry bushes.

"No, there's two, over by the door is another one," pointed out the Mage. "He looks like he's falling asleep though. These two won't be any problem, let's go." Marcurio led the charge incinerating the tone-deaf archer while Ally made quick work of the bandit at the door.

UtterHill02.png

Ally and Marcurio entered the hideout, greeted by a cold wind. Marcurio's growling stomach broke the silence.

"Sorry," he replied sheepishly, covering his grumbling belly with his hands.

UtterHill03.png

Ally just gave him a look as the two continued deeper into the cave-like bandit camp. Two more inattentive bandits stood in their way, still wiping the sleep out of their eyes. Ally took care of both of them with her greatsword. These early morning raids have proven to be most opportune. The bandits were still groggy, many of them still reeking of alcohol from the night before.

UtterHill04.png

Four, five, six more bandits fell to blade and spell equally. Ally gaining more and more confidence with each skirmish. Marcurio still took the time to loot each and every corpse, promising Ally that they would split the spoils once they reached Windhelm. Ally didn't care for stealing a dead man's belongings, but her honor wasn't going to buy her a room and a day's worth of food. Begrudgingly, she agreed so long as Marcurio did the digging.

"Hey look, this one's got a really nice garnet, I'll have to see Mades--" Marcurio was violently interrupted by the warhammer of one final bandit. He was larger than the others and more heavily armored. Marcurio took a step back reeling under the heavy blow, but thankful his flesh spell had held. Ally charged in, greatsword at the ready and attacked. The Black-Toe Chief parry the attacks and countered with his own. Ally took a blow to the ribs and had to retreat, sheathing her greatsword and drawing her dagger, a healing spell ready in her left hand. Calling upon the power of Aetherius, Ally cast her restoration magick and was ready to continue the fight.

The Black-Toe chased Marcurio around the small room, swinging wildly with his warhammer. Ally was able to catch up and slash at the man's backside. The chief turned around to face her, his hammer in a defensive posture. Ally butted the man's face with the pommel of her sword, breaking his nose. Instinctively, the man dropped his weapon and covered his nose, Ally delivered the final blow with a chop to the neck.

UtterHill05.png

Marcurio staggered back into the room, his strength withered from the battle. He leaned on the wall for support. "So, is that it? The last of the Black-Toes?" he asked, motioning to Ally to follow him.

"I hope so. We'll stop by and speak to Jarl Laila if she knows of any other camps, but judging by the strength of that guy," Ally motioned to the corpse with her head, "I hope that's the end."

"Ally, come, I found something," Marcurio beckoned to Ally. Ally followed him down the hall and into the next room. Marcurio was seated at the table, a feast of foods set before him. "Looks like we interrupted their breakfast. Have a seat."

UtterHill06.png

Ally took a seat across from her partner and helped herself to some water and a bit of eidar cheese. Marcurio, still hungry from the night before ate the rest. It was a nice breather for the two of them, they sat for a while planning out their paths before setting off to Windhelm.

AllyMarcurio002.png

"I'm not going," the mage argued.

"Is the pay and spoils not good enough for you?" Ally responded.

"I can't spend what I earn if I'm dead."

"Marcurio, what happened to your sense of adventure? Your sense of wonder?"

"Look, I don't want to admit it, but that bandit chief really shook me up. When I saw that hammer coming down on me, I thought I was dead."

"But you're not. We make a great team, you and I. Please come with me to Windhelm, after we deliver Sondas' message to the White Phial and I visit Torbjorn Shatter-Shield, we'll go back to Riften, promise," Ally countered.

Marcurio sighed, "I'll take you over the next hill and point on Windhelm, but after that, I'm going to head home. Talen-Jei's got a fresh keg of Velvet LeChance with my name on it."

Allysian could tell she wasn't getting anywhere with the man, so she agreed. "Fine, please be safe on the road home. I may call upon you to help me again in the future."

The two companions headed away from Uttering Hills Cave and towards Windhelm.

AllyMarcurio003.png

"There, you can see the Palace of the Kings, just down this hill and follow the road, you can't miss it," Marcurio pointed out.

"Thank you Marcurio. You've been a tremendous help, I will miss your stories." Ally hugged Marcurio, perhaps a little longer than he felt comfortable.

"Best of luck to you Allysian Liore," with that Marcurio was gone. Ally continued down the path that Marcurio had shown her.

The walk was soothing, but Ally certainly missed Marcurio's banter. The brash mage seemed to know everything about everything. From hunting trails, to Nordic history, he just never stopped talking. He even debated with Ally about the usefulness of certain alchemical ingredients. It's only been an hour since they parted and it certainly felt like longer. She continued along the road crossing a bridge and noticing a commotion between two men and a woman, all three of them the dark skinned Redguards.

AlikrEncounter01.png

The men looked up and spotted Ally, stepped away from the woman, who was nearly in tears, as Ally approached. "What's the matter?" Ally asked the shaken woman.

"These two Alik'r, they mistook me for another Redguard woman. I guess she's wanted for something," replied the woman.

"Yes, she's wanted in Hammerfell for treason. If you happen to see her, let us know, we'll be in Rorikstead, there's a sizable reward for her capture," one of the two men growled. With that, they left headed towards Windhelm.

Ally double-checked with the woman to make sure she was okay, she assured Ally that she was and gathered her things. Ally offered her an escort to Windhelm, but the woman refused, stating that she had just come from there. The woman set off in the direction that Ally had come from.

As Ally approached Windhelm, all of the history lessons that Marcurio had told her started coming back to her. Capital city of Eastmarch. Palace of the Kings. Grieving Ysgramor, dead Yngol. Jarl Ulfric Stormcloak. Frequent blizzards. Free worship of Talos. Dark Elf refuge. Xenophobic community.

WindhelmGate01.png

She made her way over the expansive bridge, halted at the gate by the guards. Ally asked the guards about accommodations and for directions to the White Phial. The two guards were in agreement that Candlehearth Hall would suit Ally just fine and that The White Phial could be located in the Stone Quarter.

The guards opened the gates for her and Ally immediately headed to The White Phial to deliver Sondas' note.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Tharas Frostborn
    Nightcaller Temple

By the time Tharas made his way out of Nightcaller Temple, the young Nord felt drained of all energy. He was using the Skull as a walking stick, throwing his wait upon it as he hobbled out the front door and into the snow. He stumbled a few more feet to the edge and looked out upon Dawnstar... according to Erandur, the people should be free now. The Skull should no longer be looking to feed on it's own. No... that was a task now left to Tharas. A task he silently swore to never fulfill.

My hunger cannot be so easily sated. It was the voice again, the voice of Vaermina, speaking directly into his mind through that Skull. If you will not bring it feed, than it shall feed from you, young Tharas. At this, the Nord simply nodded and turned his back on Dawnstar. Perhaps he had been wrong about Erandur, had been tainted by the voice of Vaermina to believe his life was in danger when it was actually the Skull's that was. Perhaps he had been deceived. If that was the case, than Tharas had taken on a burden he did not wish to bare. He had not the power to destroy the Skull, nor could he simply ask for assistance in such a matter, without drawing obvious attention to himself. He could leave it somewhere, but that would cause it to start feeding once more - on those near it. That was a responsibility that Tharas could not bare. So his choice was obvious - Tharas had to carry the Skull and let it consume from him, instead.

And so, Tharas headed east, away from Dawnstar, hobbling slowly with the support of the Skull. With Erandur dead, the Skull in his possession, and the people of Dawnstar finally free, there was no way Tharas could return there. It was late at night now, a deep darkness descended upon the land, coupled with more snow flurries. It was not long before Tharas, now barely able to stand, spotted a campfire down the hillside. He struggled to make his way down the hill but lost his footing and fell. Tharas watched helplessly, no longer having the strength to move, as his body rolled down the rocky hillside, the Skull twisting and turning away from him. Then black.

* * *​

When Tharas awoke, he was on a bedroll, lying beneath the canopy of some tent. His armor had been removed and he was wrapped tightly in some sort of blanket. But he could not see the Skull and, in a frenzy of movement, Tharas tore himself free from the blanket and scrambled out of his tent into the early morning sunlight, the voices around him suddenly stopping. The bright sun reflecting off the snow seemed to blind him, suddenly feeling hands on his shoulders pushing him back into the tent, but Tharas fought back, flailing wildly. When Tharas was finally wrestled back into his tent and his vision returned, he saw an Imperial soldier before him. "There there, lad," he said, stepping back. "I'd ask how you're feeling, but I'd wager you're alright now."

"Who are you?" Tharas asked, his voice sounding more aggressive than he intended. "Where am I? What happened to my armor? My staff?" There was an sick whisper of desperation in his voice on that last one.

"I'm an Imperial soldier, and you're in our Winterhold camp," the soldier began, sitting down in the snow at the tent's entrance. "We found you last night in the snow. You took a nasty spill."

"I remember that," Tharas said, still looking around his tent in case he had missed something. "But what about my things?"

"Well, your armor was pretty beat up. Our quartermaster spent the rest of the evening fixing it for you, so talk to him to get it back."

"And what of my staff?" At this, the Imperial's expression grew somber.

"Like I said, your things are with the quartermaster." Tharas hefted himself up and made for the flap but the soldier stopped him. "I'm afraid I can't let you go just yet." Tharas did not like this one bit and tackled the soldier, rolling over him out into the open. The light was still a blinding white but the voices around him were now angered. Within an instant, Tharas felt himself tackled, face down in the snow. His wrists and ankles were grabbed, bound, and he was left there. Soon, the voices turned to normal and Tharas' presence was forgotten. The young Nord closed his eyes and slept.

* * *​

"Wake up, Nord." It wasn't the word, but the boot to his chest that awoke Tharas. Groggily, he looked up against the daylight into the face of another Imperial soldier, this one appearing to be an officer - a Dunmer, at that. For one horrifying moment, Tharas thought it to be Erandur, but that was impossible. From somewhere in the collection of tents not far off, there was a scream. "It's time we had a chat." The Dunmer reached down and grabbed Tharas by the collar and dragged him through the snow, to the edge of the camp, to a cliff. For a moment, Tharas admired the view. If you looked far enough, you could see Winterhold off in the distance. Out here on the cliff ledge stood the Imperial from before, and another man, holding a bedroll. Behind him, there came another scream. "As I said, we need to have a talk. Quartermaster." The other man nodded and stepped forward and laid the bedroll out in the snow and began unraveling it. Within, was the Skull. "What can you tell us of this, Nord?"

"That is my staff," Tharas said, looking between the faces of the three Imperials. "It is my walking stick."

"Walking stick, you say?" The Dunmer asked, obviously hypothetically. He nodded in false consideration and walked over to the edge of the cliff where a large stick lay in the snow. He picked it up, brushed it off, and tossed it at the feet of Tharas. "This, my friend, is a real walking stick. What you have here," he pointed to the Skull, "is an abomination!" Tharas winced, looking down at the Skull. "When my men found you, we also found this... this thing lying in the snow. When one of my men picked it up, he began screaming. He has not stopped since. And do you know why, Nord?" Tharas could only shake his head as he truly did not know why. The officer closed in on Tharas and grabbed him by the collar, hoisting him to his feet. "Because what you have is no walking stick, but something far more sinister, and I demand you break what ever unholy bewitchment your staff has set up my soldier!" With a single toss, the Dunmer threw Tharas a few feet to the side, back towards the camp. The Nord landed helplessly with a thud in the snow, face down. He did not move and there was silence around him. Finally, there were footsteps, and Tharas's head was wrenched out from the snow by his hair. "Well, Nord? What shall it be?"

"I... I cannot help him," Tharas said, and his answer was responded to with a boot that sent Tharas rolling onto his back. He coughed and spat blood into the snow. "I do not know how!" The Dunmer stood over Tharas and grabbed his collar, lifting him a few inches off the ground.

"What do you mean you don't know? How did you come into possession of this staff?" He was shouting now, spit flying from his lips and splattering Tharas' face.

"Back there," Tharas tilted his head backwards towards the Temple. "Nightcaller Temple. A place for Vaermina, a daedric temple. The staff is hers." Horrified, the officer dropped Tharas back into the snow. Tharas struggled to sit up as the officer ran towards the quartermaster and the Skull.

"Get rid of it," he ordered the quartermaster, who asked how. "I don't care, nor do I know. Just get rid of it!"

"No!" Tharas cried, struggling to his feet. "You can't!" The officer turned and marched back to Tharas before punching him squarely in the jaw. Tharas fell to his side, his ears ringing, the taste of blood on his lips again. The world around him went mute, he couldn't move. He just helplessly watched as the officer bound the Skull in the bedroll again, tied it, and threw it over the cliff's edge. And just like that, the Skull was gone. And once more, all went black.

* * *​

When Tharas awoke, he found himself in a familiar bed under a familiar roof.

Windpeak Inn.

Tharas Frostborn
    Dawnstar

MushroomGenius

Allysian Liore - Windhelm

Through the gates, Ally immediately noticed the sign for Candlehearth Hall, it was far too early in the day to check in here, but she would return for a meal and lodging later. On the advice of the guards, Ally went left from the entrance and headed towards the Stone Quarter, Windhelm's market district.

Windhelm had a sad, mournful type of beauty to Ally. The centuries old architecture, the ever-present snow, puffs of smoke emanating from the chimneys of every building. It was all so beautiful. The familiar scents of the marketplace started to fill her nose and brought a quiet smile to her face. As usual, there were people hustling and bustling about, and Ally melted into the crowd.

The familiar clang of hammer to steel brought another smile to her face as she thought of Balimund. I'd better write him, tell him that I'm okay, she thought. The meats looked particularly fine, Ally longed for a kitchen in which to cook something. Deer, Rabbit, Chicken, Beef... and something unfamiliar, Horker. Ally had never tasted Horker before, but had heard that it was delicious, fatty, oily, and tender. She would definitely sample that if the Inn served it.

WindhelmWhitePhial01.png

The White Phial. Ally broke free of the crowd and looked upon its carved sign. She admired the choice of name for the business, the White Phial was the stuff of legends among those in the Alchemist trade. The White Phial was an enchanted vial that could replenish any liquid that was poured into it. Whether it actually existed or not was a topic hotly debated. Ally opened the door, a small bell announced her entrance.

WindhelmWhitePhial02.png

Neither of the two men inside paid the bell any attention. They argued back and forth for some time before the older man acknowledged the woman standing in front of him.

"Greetings traveler, welcome to the White Phial. I am Nurelion, owner and master alchemist here. We have a fine selection of potions and alchemy reagents if you're interested."

"Thank you, Nurelion, I'm Allysian Liore, sorry to be nosy, but what was that argument about?" Ally inquired.

"Ah that fool of an apprentice. He wants me to give up my life-long dream! Just a man's life work is all. I've finally derived the location of the White Phial, but this doting busybody won't let me get it!" Nureliion shouted. Ally saw his apprentice shaking his head as he continued sweeping the floor.

"The White Phial? That's just legend isn't it?"

WindhelmWhitePhial03.png

"Ah so you've heard of it then? Fancy yourself an alchemist? Well it is real I tell you. Sadly, I'm the only one that knows its location, but I've grown too old and sickly to go out adventuring. My quest for the White Phial brought me all the way to these frozen reaches from the warm embrace of Summerset Isle," Nurelion's focus drifted off, recalling his adventures, "Entire years spent in libraries. Seeking out tiny villages with local legends that contain but a whisper of a hint of the Phial. As you can see, I even named my shop after it, hoping that it might attract anyone who had heard of it. And now it's within my grasp... but the Eight, it seems, have chosen me for their amusement. For in my condition, I'll never be able to lay my hands on it."

"If you tell me where it is, I can go get it for you."

"You?" Nurelion eyed Ally suspiciously, "Well the path is fraught with danger my dear."

"The existence of such an artifact is of extreme importance to the Alchemist Trade. I will help you Nurelion."

Nurelion smiled, "You would do that? It's good to know there are some people out there who are willing to help an old man. It's buried with its maker, Curalmil, in a long forsaken cave to the west of here." Nurelion pulled a map out from under his counter. "Curalmil was a crafty one, even in death. You would need the skills of a master alchemist to reach his resting place. Luckily for you, I've already made the mixture. Here, take it." Nurelion pulled a green vial from under his countertop and offered it to Ally.

Ally examined the green liquid, clear when still, turning opaque once she shook it a bit.

"Please, don't dally. I've wasted enough time arguing with my useless assistant here. May the Eight guide you to the Phial..." Nurelion coughed violently and headed up the stairs to rest.

WindhelmWhitePhial04.png

Ally turned to his assistant, "You don't think the White Phial exists?"

He replied, "It doesn't matter what I believe. Nurelion does, and it might be the only thing keeping him alive right now. I'm Quintus by the way."

"Oh Quintus, I have a note for your from Sondas at Darkwater Crossing. They are in urgent need of medicines, some of their miners have shown symptoms of Crackrock."

"Oh my, Crackrock. That's serious. I'll get on it right away, the courier will make the delivery tomorrow morning. Thank you. If you need to use the alchemy table, be my guest. Just please clean up when you're done and try not to use any Giant's Toe, master Nurelion gets nauseous from the smell."

Ally purchased a few ingredients from Quintus as well as a couple dozen small vials. She used her supplies to craft a bunch of health and stamina potions which she stashed carefully into her satchel. She stayed for about an hour, chatting with Quintus about her travels, as he filled her in on the goings-on within Windhelm. Quintus warned Ally about The Butcher, and that she should stay indoors after dark.

With the sunlight hidden by overcast clouds, the day was much shorter than Ally was used to. She gathered up her ingredients, wiped the alchemy table clean and bid Quintus farewell. Nurelion never returned from upstairs. Ally closed the door behind her and headed to Candlehearth Hall, thoughts of tender horker meat on her mind.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Tharas Frostborn
    Windpeak Inn

"How did I get here?" Tharas stood (sort of) in the doorway from his room, his entire body slumped against the doorframe. His eyes were fixed on Thoring who turned and gave the Nord a smile. It was not returned.

"I brought you back here," he said, still smiling. "When you and Erandur didn't come back last night, I decided to follow your trail up to the tower. I found you unconscious by the door." Tharas nodded, collapsing into a stool by the bar. The imperials must have left him there in hopes that his 'safe return' would help their comrade. Tharas doubted it had worked. "I could not find Erandur. What happened, Tharas?" The Nord grabbed a random mug of ale and drank from it deeply before responding.

"He gave his life ending the curse upon Dawnstar." It was fitting enough - the man deserved a hero's death, and Tharas deserved nothing. Thoring's expression fell, his head shaking in dismay. There was silence for a long time before Tharas stood up, announcing that he had to leave.

"So soon? But you and Erandur are heros here, at least in my eyes. Surely, you can stay and-"

"No," Tharas said, cutting him off. "I must go. East... along the coast." Tharas stood and tried his bath to gather himself, walking into his room. He returned with his armor on, sword at the ready. Tharas offered little in the way of goodbyes. He had once perceived Dawnstar as a place he could, with a little adjustment, call home... but now there was nowhere he'd rather be away from. Tharas left the inn and stopped by Rustleif's forge, but it was empty. All the better, thought Tharas, leaving the iron greatsword by the anvil and hefting the steel one onto his back. That sword was forged for a true warrior of Skyrim... and that, I am not. As Tharas headed towards the eastern end of town, he spotted two guards talking about their lack of nightmares; one even pointed to Tharas, who promptly quickened his pace. He scrambled up over the hill side and spotted a rather large tent down by the shore with a few Horkers outside. Tharas ran at the Horkers and killed all three, cooking their meat on the fire outside the tent. To say he did it because he was hungry would be a lie... Tharas killed the Horkers because he wanted to kill something. When his hunger had subsided, Tharas gathered his things and continued down the coast.

It wasn't long before he found the Skull, wrapped tightly in the bedroll. He didn't cut it free, but rather swapped it out for his steel greatsword. It felt safer to have the thing wrapped up, anyways. Looking around, Tharas decided to head for Winterhold. He had heard of a mage's college there... perhaps that was his best bet for destroying the Skull and ending this. And so, Tharas continued along the cost. A little ways down, he came across the smoldering reminds of what appeared to be a mage, judging by the tome that was beside the body - apparently a spell gone wrong. Tharas grabbed the book and continued on, the drain of the Skull already slowly starting to enter his body and mind.

The road to Winterhold was rather uneventful, not counting the handful of wolves and horker that crossed his path. Arriving in the city, Tharas encountered a man and woman arguing, apparently about the man's constant drinking, but he ignored them. His eyes were fixed upon the Dunmer that stood guard at the entrance to the college. She told him that unless he could cast the Firebolt spell (who's tome she sold him, for a small fee) that he could not enter the college. Tharas thought about telling her the real reason he came to the college - that he had no need for magic but rather, a need to destroy magic, but thought against it. He grunted his thanks before returning to town, particularly the inn. He came in on the innkeeper arguing with a high elf, apparently a man of high-standing within the college, but the argument had subsided by the time Tharas entered. He rented a room and immediately set to work at the small table on studying the tome.

Tharas Frostborn
    Winterhold

MushroomGenius

Allysian Liore - Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm

The vendors of the Stone District had already secured their wares and packed up for the evening, the marketplace was empty aside from a lone guard who seemed enthralled by the moss that grew above his head.

The guard paid Ally no mind as she walked by him. As she made her way back to the Inn, all she could think about was The Butcher. She'd swear she'd seen shadows move in the darkness, eyes watching her every movement, figures making their way across the rooftops. She quickened her pace as her heart started to pound in her chest. Was this the right direction? I swear the Inn was this way! The city she thought looked mournfully beautiful during daylight turned ominous after dark.

Ally made her way expeditiously back to Windhelm's main gate, her only sure-fire route to get back to Candlehearth Hall. Ally nodded a greeting to a passing guard who returned the gesture; she could hear the sound of jovial spirits just up ahead. She arrived at Candlehearth Hall and breathed a long sigh of relief.

Candlehearth01-1.png

The inside of the Inn was extremely warm and filled with people standing around enjoying their ale or sitting down to dinner. It was extremely noisy in the Hall’s upper floor where the revelers spent most of their time. Unable to even hear herself think, Ally headed downstairs and had a seat at the bar next to a sharply dressed older man.

The barmaid stepped up to Allysian, “What’ll it be traveler?”

“I need a room for the evening and I was wondering if you serve horker here?” Ally asked.

The barmaid looked her over, “Yeah I have a room available, it’s yours. We serve a fine Horker Stew if you’re interested. Meat’s fresh from the marketplace.”

“Elda, another mug, please,” the man sitting next to Ally interrupted.

“Sure Torbjorn, coming right up,” Elda replied.

“I’ll have the stew thank you, and please let me pay for Torbjorn’s mead,” Ally offered.

Candlehearth02-1.png

“Do I know you, stranger?” asked the man, turning to face Ally with his bloodshot eyes.

“Not yet, but Balimund sends his regards and advised me to ask you for a bit of training.”

“Ah Balimund,” a twinkle returned to the man’s eye, “I haven’t seen that old dog in years. Good man. Good smith. Good drinker. In no particular order,” the man winked at Ally. “I see that piece of steel strapped to your back, Balimund craft that?”

“Yes he did, so far it’s been a life-saver.”

“Looks like fine work, I wouldn’t expect any less. I forgot to thank you for the mead, please move your seat a bit closer so we can chat my dear.”

Ally did as instructed and scooted over next to Torbjorn. He shared with her some offensive and defensive maneuvers as well as just basic strategies for combat. She felt much more confident. Elda, the barmaid kept a close eye on Torbjorn, Ally noticed that Elda was watering down his drinks, he either didn’t catch on or didn’t mind. Ally was happy to pick up the tab for the evening as Torbjorn departed. He left Candlehearth a bit wobbly in the knees, but in good spirits. The Horker Stew was simply divine. Ally promised herself she'd order it again tomorrow.

“He lost his daughter recently,” Elda offered.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear.”

“Yeah, he’s in here every night, pretty much just drinking his sorrows away.”

“I noticed you watering down his drinks.”

“Yeah, as a favor to his daughter. The Butcher did it. He’s still on the loose.” Elda slowly wiped down her countertop. Ally and Elda chatted a bit more, Ally telling Elda about her planned journey in the morning to help Nurelion with the White Phial.

“The White Phial huh? So that's where we're headed?” came a familiar voice behind Ally.

Ally smirked, knowing full well who it was.

Candlehearth03-1.png

Allysian Liore & Marcurio - Windhelm
    En Route to Forsaken Cave