OOC Community In-Game Roleplay

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Since when you lost your save file you just left the character I've decided that I should probably just go back to my last save, when I'd just woken up on my second day.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    I accidentally deleted my character file... Kat you decide if I start over on a new guy or start over on the same guy
    Why do I have to decide? D:

hahaha! Honestly, I think it'd be easier just to get the same point as the same character.

Yeesh, the Forum wouldn't let me on yesterday, but I got a lot done.
    1024x819.resizedimage

Uh, add Narri to the list of killed NPCs.:oops:

I leveled up, Health (110) and Barbarian(1) Also, got an Ancient Nord Greatsword off a skeleton, that nearly killed her with it's buddy. Rather than use the level heal, she backed out from her near death experience. I knew they were there, but she didn't so I played it ignorant. Also up to 18 Sneak!
    1024x819.resizedimage

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    In regards to dead NPCs, I'm ignoring the Khajiit caravan and I hope Conquers will fix that within his own game. Because it was not done by his character in the roleplay, and he has no control over the Dark Brotherhood NPCs, the kills are a mute point. He can, however, opt to take responsibility for the kills but that... would probably earn him a dark mark in the eyes of the local Guard... (wink wink) Psi, if you could give me more details - check the list post for an example. I'm sure your post probably describes it but I haven't gotten a chance to catch up and this just makes my life easier. :)

Again, I apologize for my lack of presence. I had hoped to make a new character and also make an NPC post or so... but today was just a bad personal day, and I got DarkSiders 2 yesterday and lord is it amusing...

In retrospect, I'm thinking that this idea might need some restructuring... so I'm going to post some ideas here and let you all discuss it amongst yourselves while I sleep and work 12-8pm EST tomorrow, so I'll catch back up to speed at that point.

Suggestion 1:
    Continue with the current style but as population grows, create a thread for each of the holds (if you have a map that came with the game, I believe the borders are clearly marked. If not, I'm sure I can find one online) to keep it more organized. Obviously, however, that will require more people else a few of you will just be playing with yourself and NPCs for awhile.

Suggestion 2:
    Remove the game aspect and instead create more of a roleplay environment, preferably with heavy moderator interaction to help drive the roleplay as oppose to solely player interaction. Players will still be presumed to start pretty much poor.

Suggestion 3:
    The above, but with little to no moderator interaction.

Suggestion 4:
    Suggestion 2, but with heavier moderator interaction and more of an RPG-feel. Shops will exist as they do in the game, meaning you cannot simply roleplay that you put the required septims on the table and walk out with that shiny new greatsword - you actually must acquire the coins (awarded by a moderator) and purchase the weapon. More of a D&D feel, for those who have experience or an idea about how it works.

Suggestion 5:
    Change nothing and have Kat just shut up. ;)

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    It turns out I did not save anyway so I'm back to the beginning of day two before that happened. My opinion is either 5 or 1, though they all work. I just wanna keep the original idea around.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
    I'm enjoying this as is. Not sure if how I'm playing this is in the spirit Kat originally intended though. I am strictly playing just one day at a time in game and writing about the experiences my character is having, explaining (and showing) how she's acquiring whatever she happens to be carrying. Maybe it's too much detail? Is this type of minutiae unappealing?

As far as her location goes, she's currently back in Riften.

K3V!N

I'm enjoying this as is. Not sure if how I'm playing this is in the spirit Kat originally intended though. I am strictly playing just one day at a time in game and writing about the experiences my character is having, explaining (and showing) how she's acquiring whatever she happens to be carrying. Maybe it's too much detail? Is this type of minutiae unappealing?

As far as her location goes, she's currently back in Riften.

I am enjoying it as is as well. I think the fun, or enticing part of this is being able to play through a day in the game and come up with the prose to describe what's happening. I would imagine that, it will get more interesting once we're interacting with each other. While I am taking some liberties with conversations my character is having with NPC's, everything else reflects exactly what's happening in game and I think as long as everyone is following those guidelines things won't get out of hand.

That said, I could see the need for separate threads for all of the holds once the population gets larger. I am already having a hard time keeping up with what's going on in some places.

Mushroom, I for one am enjoying the detail on your posts! Please continue :D

Psi, if you could give me more details - check the list post for an example. I'm sure your post probably describes it but I haven't gotten a chance to catch up and this just makes my life easier. :)
    Sorry, I left the body on the front porch of Dead Man's Drink, stripped naked, hopefully someone cleaned it up once it was discovered. Quite simply, she was lured out front while she was talking, murdered in the wee hours for her dress, and discarded. I started role playing from the moment she found a Roll of Paper, in Shreikwind Bastion, and started her Journal. She doesn't go into detail about Narri's death, but just mentions it in passing, because it was a sociopathic killing out of jealousy. She didn't even learn her name, but took an opportunity when she stepped outside to sweep the porch, where there were no witnesses. OOC, I just got her the dress the most expedient way possible.

I vote we don't change anything, except the level of necessary interaction. I've been keeping my own quest journals for Dreadfall for months, so that's not novel, but the community of like minded players is. I believe we can keep track of where others have already killed a named NPC, and adjust by replacing them with a generic one with the same important equipment, such as weapons, and armor. For instance, if someone goes to Dead Man's Drink, there will likely be another woman with an Iron Dagger, Broom, and Clothes, if not the original Naari. A "DM" isn't really necessary with the game it'self to play the parts of NPCs. The only real problems are places where there's truly only one, such as Unique Artifacts, and targets that can only be done once, such as Grelod the Kind. These might as well be 1st come, 1st serve, so unfortunately, only one person may join the Dark Brotherhood.

That's fine, Dreadfall originally sported the Shrouded Hood, and Jester's Boots, but she doesn't have to. There's plenty of other opportunities for a Bandit who thinks she's an Assassin, especially now that she's forced to wear Light Armor. I'm beginning to doubt even that's enough, so she may end up dying from terminal ignorance...

Tyrone

I like the idea and where it is going currently, but I think we should tie our characters in a little more, perhaps they belong to the same organization or something

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I like the idea and where it is going currently, but I think we should tie our characters in a little more, perhaps they belong to the same organization or something

Do you mean join one or are already in one? I made a very precise backstory that covers all major things so that second one wouldn't be possible for me.

Tyrone

Do you mean join one or are already in one? I made a very precise backstory that covers all major things so that second one wouldn't be possible for me.

Im thinking join it, its just an idea to tie our characters together more

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Maybe. But like one of the existing guilds? Makes more sense. I am very tired right now so I may say some things that I'll regret later on.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    The reason I suggested abandoning the game is because it does limit what we can and cannot do. I'd like to DM plots (such as large bandit gangs, or something) that would allow more interaction within the player base as well as more customization. Rather, this RP has become more of a collection of player journals that can interact.

Tomorrow, I'm off. I will be adjusting the first few posts again, or perhaps making a google doc that you can all view, that will list things a bit more in-depth. How to join the Dark Brotherhood, for example. What NPCs will and/or can be controlled by mods, etc.

To be perfectly honest, my favorite suggestion is 4 but that would require a larger population as well as a larger moderation staff, and would be more complex. Otherwise, suggestion 2... but if you would all rather keep with the game, I will more than likely separate the RP into Hold threads for organization when we reach a higher population.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Heads up everyone!

The rules on the first post have gotten a face lift! While most remain the same, there are some changes and some new ones! I'll cover the most important ones below.

Dying: New rule here. If you die, you must (in some manner) remove everything you can from your inventory and person. You lose it all, presumably because it was broken or looted from your unconscious body. All you may keep is a single set of clothing (if you're carrying one) and a dagger, as well as 10% of your gold. PC players can use console commands, console players should find a nice barrel or something to put their stuff in. Do NOT sell it, as that's cheating! :p You can either return to where you died (try not to engage in combat) or may return the the nearest city's inn or temple, presumably found and brought back.

Shouts: While none of you are Dragonborn, you can still learn shouts. Every 5 levels, you may use a Dragon Soul to unlock a word you've learned. Note that this does stack so feel free to save those souls until you find the words you want to learn! This is in place to keep with the lore but also within the confines of the roleplay's premise.

Post Format: As we've discussed in the group message, there's some questions on posting format and I've addressed them. Every player gets a color to use for their speech and thought while all NPCs use the same color. As such, the registration form has been modified to include a place to select this color. Please do not use a color already in-use. It should have a noticeable difference. Also, you're not required to work in a summary of your location both at the start and end of your post. This is for my ease in updating the location list in the second post, as well as for players to know who is around them.

Moderation: Mods (Mushroom and I, for now) have been given a biiiiiit more power. We'll now be actively playing Hold guards in extenuating circumstances as well as major NPCs. For those of you who have committed a murder or theft, even if it went unnoticed in your game, don't think the body wasn't found! We'll be looking for you in the roleplay!

Although it's not required that you edit your posts with the new formats, please start using them and edit your registration posts to include a color. Thanks everyone!

edit: In addition, journal entry style posts should not be your primary form of posting, although they are not forbidden. This is simply because journal entries are written after the fact but in order to allow interactions with other players, they should be written in third or first person.

Also, as a note about moderator control over NPCs, I'd like to direct your attention first to Tyrone's post. This is an example of a situation in which a moderator should have had control, but because the rule was not in place, we will allow it. Radiant quests, the kind you overhear from guards for example, do not need to be assigned. Non-faction quests (those not related to The Dark Brotherhood, Companions, Stormcloaks, etc) do not need to be assigned either, such as the Morthal quest of "Laid to Rest". Faction quests, however, must be assigned by a moderator. We might assign you the game's mission, we might not. This roleplay dictates your in-game actions in events like this. In small quests for factions, like the sharpening of Vilkas' sword as shown here is small and, therefore, negligible. Note that he also got a radiant quest from Vilkas about clearing out some vampires. Although it's from a faction member, it's a radiant quest (overheard) and therefore does not need moderator assignment.

If you have any questions, ask. That's what the OOC is for! :)

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    Character Name: Tharas Frostborn
    Race: Nord
    Personality: Tharas is, as his last name might suggest, cold. He's the type to break down the door rather than pick it, but is far from your typical brute. Educated yet ruthless, Tharas is deadly in ever sense of the word but lacks any sort of blood lust. If conflict can be avoided, Tharas will avoid it. If not, he'll destroy you without a second thought. Socially, Tharas can be a bit shy and reserved but isn't oppose to conversation. He values honor about all else and if his is offended, he can grow violent quickly. He does not like to rely on others.
    Backstory: Tharas was born an Nordic Imperial soldier and a Redguard mother, mostly your typical "stay at home mom" but was once an experienced warrior in her own right. From a young age, it was decided that Tharas would be raised to be a great warrior for the Empire, a mix of his father's might and his mother's will. When he was only five years old, Tharas' father was murdered by a soldier loyal to Ulfric and the Stormcloaks after claiming his father to be a Nord traitor. From this day forth, Tharas would know a rage that would all but consume him. He loved and respected his father dearly and his untimely end drove his son into a slight obsession with the dead. He yearned for a way to speak to his father, to learn from his father, but when that failed, Tharas turned towards vengeance. At the age of 14, Tharas left his home in Solitude and sailed aboard a ship known as The Northern Chill. For the next decade of his life, the young Nord worked aboard the ship and sailed all across Tamriel. A decade of adventure, full of defending against pirates and hauling cargo, chatting with those at the local tavern and wooing the woman. It was a good life until recently, when the ship was dropping off cargo in Windhelm and picking up a few more deck hands. One of which was a loudmouth Stormcloak. The ship had not been long from port before the new worker was boasting about his pure Nord lineage and the filth of those Nords that didn't support the rebellion. When the deck hand was found dead the next morning, Tharas was stripped of all but rags and a dagger and was dropped off in Dawnstar...
    Posting Color: Deep Sky Blue

Stutta

Hey, I'm not really sure how the moderator control over npcs is supposed to work. Could we clarify which types of conversations need mod control, and what the process should be? The way I see it, it would be something like: post in roleplay thread regarding beginning of an interaction, wait for mod response as a brief post in the roleplay thread, and continue as such

btw, I'm level 3, travelling between morthal and solitude since theres no shop in morthal. I will likely move onto markarth or solitude once I beat a couple of the morthal quests im working on.

If for instance, I'm made thane in morthal, should that be posted in the roleplay thread, or take place as a mod controlled event?

Oh and as is I'm using orange as my character color, is that ok or should a change be made?

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    My color is tan, in case you hadn't noticed.

Katastrophe

King of Tales

Hey, I'm not really sure how the moderator control over npcs is supposed to work. Could we clarify which types of conversations need mod control, and what the process should be? The way I see it, it would be something like: post in roleplay thread regarding beginning of an interaction, wait for mod response as a brief post in the roleplay thread, and continue as such
    Simple interactions need not require moderator interaction. Basically, any option you can select from a menu in-game is fair game for you to control, or basic stuff like "Where's the local inn?", "Any work around here?", etc. The main difference is for faction quests, these being Dark Brotherhood, Imperial, Stormcloak, Thieves Guild, Companions... am I forgetting one?

It is kind of a gray area because even though Tyrone got his quest through in-game chat options (I'm assuming, I've never actually even started the Civil War quest for either side... :sadface: ), it's a faction quest and those would normally be pretty much "first come, first serve"... but obviously there's more than one person in the Imperial Army, like there's more than one thief in the Thieves Guild. Moderator involvement is supposed to emulate the whole "You're not special" feel of the roleplay.

I know that doesn't really clarify much... but a good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if the quest could be repeated given a period of time? Like clearing out a keep full of bandits. I believe the game does repopulate them, but even if not, it is possible another group of bandits would move in. Therefore, it doesn't need moderator interaction. Stealing someone's ring? Sure, they could buy another ring over time, so it doesn't need moderator interaction. Killing a specific NPC, most likely a named one? Cannot be redone, therefore it does need moderator interaction on the part of quest assignment.

btw, I'm level 3, travelling between morthal and solitude since theres no shop in morthal. I will likely move onto markarth or solitude once I beat a couple of the morthal quests im working on.
    So I've been reading. I like the posts. I'm guessing you tried to kill the vampire and failed, so you said you just left? :p

If for instance, I'm made thane in morthal, should that be posted in the roleplay thread, or take place as a mod controlled event?
    If you're the first person to be named Thane, it doesn't need an event. You'll remain Thane until killed or you choose to give up the title, in which case if someone else has earned the title in their game, they can then go and do a moderator given event for the Jarl and be named the new Thane. Great question.

Oh and as is I'm using orange as my character color, is that ok or should a change be made?
    This is something to discuss... but personally, I don't see harm in two+ people using the same color... however, if you all would prefer everyone have their own color then it's up to you and Mushroom to decide, since I know he's also using orange. Honestly, I'd give the color to Mushroom simply because he joined first, if it comes down to you two both really like orange... :p

My color is tan, in case you hadn't noticed.
    Gotcha.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    It is kind of a gray area because even though Tyrone got his quest through in-game chat options (I'm assuming, I've never actually even started the Civil War quest for either side... :sadface: ), it's a faction quest and those would normally be pretty much "first come, first serve"... but obviously there's more than one person in the Imperial Army, like there's more than one thief in the Thieves Guild. Moderator involvement is supposed to emulate the whole "You're not special" feel of the roleplay.
    Gotcha.

My suggestion is for you to give them some kind of quest to join after the first person joins other than theirs, adn then come in at the same quest as the other person, like if you're about to take Winterhold in the Imperial legion and someone else joins then they do the other quests in their game and write about it from the taking of Winterhold onward in the roleplay. The only problem would be someone taking Winterhold for the Imperials and someone taking Falkreath for the Stormcloaks. Eventually, they'd just switch all of the territories. So I guess, if you join the imperial legion then taking a city doesn't count for the roleplay is my suggestion.