Are Dunmers heavily related to the Dremora?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I can't help but to see that they technically look a lot like each other.

Dunmer
358wjdz.jpg

40-1-1321060436.jpg

And a Dremora
TESV2013-01-2201-26-12-66_zpse177bb98.png

Can someone help me out here? Where can I read in lore as of the explanation why these 2 look a lot like each other?

Captain Nagisus

Jake the Dog!
No is the short answer. Dunmer were created when Azura cursed the Chimer, which looked just like Aldmer (or modern-Tamriel Altmer). They have as much relation to Daedra as any other race of mer.

Professor Skalvar

General of the Euphoric Gentleman's Club
What Nagisus just said. Also, Bethesda was lazy as hell and decided, "Hey, why don't we make these dark elves a little darker, add some shiny red paint to their face, horns, daedric armor, and call them Dremora?".

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Maybe it is just Beth lazy, they sometimes do things like this. Making things look alike or just a spin off of another race. I remember reading that the Snow Elf was just a high elf or something, just different texture.

Haru17

Lost Falmer
I don't know, Velehk Sain looks pretty legit.

SR-npc-Velehk_Sain.jpg

Curved swords.

Eleidon

The Psijic Chimer
The Kyn are puppets of Mehrunes, with no relation to the Dunmer. I prefer the Morrowind type models, which are much darker and arguably more demonic looking.

ness91

Dovah do faal Brom
actually no. dark elves were know as the chimer that came from summerset isles long before and they had golden skin and golden eyes instead of the gray-skin and red eyes like they have in the TES games now. the chimer became dark elves when the Nerevar was slain at the Battle of Red Mountain around 1E 700. Azura became furious when that happened. Azura then cursed the chimers; turning their eyes as "red as the volcano lava" and skin as "black as their hearts".

The dremora are a daedric race mainly associated with Mehrunes Dagon.

here are the links of the information.
Lore:Battle of Red Mountain - UESPWiki
Lore:Dunmer - UESPWiki
Lore:Chimer - UESPWiki
Lore:Dremora - UESPWiki

ness91

Dovah do faal Brom
Yeah, the Chimer were basically renegade Aldmer, until cursed by Azura. I suppose the resemblance to Daedric races may be due to some hybridization from this change, but I will point out the height differences. The Dunmer are no more Daedric than the other Accursed Mer, the Orcs.

The Dremora, incidentally, are just Daedra allied with Mehrunes Dagon much as the Atronachs are associated with Elements. I assume (without much more to go on) that most Daedra look like them in Oblivion, but Dagon is the only one who regularly summons them to the plane of Nirn to do His dirty work (other than Expert Conjurers) The other Daedric Princes generally work through mortals, or magical effects from their own planes, and Artifacts. For instance, Malacath has His Orcs, and annexed the Dwemer artifact Volendrung (The Hammer in Hammerfell.) Hircine uses the "Gift" of Lycanthropy, and Boethea the Ebony Mail...