• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
aevumobscurum_zpsef1a6dd7.jpg
Author’s Notes
Darkness consumes, destroys, defeats
Void of light, the landscape weeps
Leaving chaos in its wake
All hope is lost to ever be saved.
Aevum Obscurum – Latin translation, meaning Age of Darkness, literally translated to Dark Age, with “aevum” meaning “age” and “obscurum” meaning “dark”, or “darkness”.

This story follows seven unrelated people, diverse in racial, ethnic and cultural background, as they unknowingly band together through divine intervention and attempt to the lift the veil of darkness from the continent of Tamriel.

It is likely (well, nearly 100% guaranteed) that this novel will span over 30 chapters, and the story will occur from several different viewpoints – varying from chapter to chapter. Many different perspectives on the story will be present, along with several diverse underlying themes. This story covers a much broader scope than the game of Skyrim, and as such, no spoilers for the game TES V: Skyrim or any prequels will be within this fan fiction, however a greater understanding of Tamriel as a whole, regarding both map and lore, will be required in order for effective comprehension of this novel.

It should also be noted (if you didn’t catch the +18 tag) that some content labeled +18 (you don’t have to be 18 years of age or older, just read at your own discretion) will be included in several chapters in this work, so keep that in mind while reading. I will not label individual chapters, hence the +18 tag.

I will try my hardest to update as regularly as possible, and I hope to post chapter installments roughly every two weeks. However, do be patient with me, as I do not wish for this project to become a chore. Also, life issues may inhibit regular updates. whenever, as I am in the midst of school and marching band, among other things. The unexpected hiatus from this project due to the issues I had with my laptop have caused me to somewhat lose the steam I had going for this. As such, I will be postponing this fan fiction until I can get excited about writing this again. It may be the very next day, or it may be a month from now. I'm just not feeling the creative juices for the Aevum Obscurum. I do apologize to the few of you who are eagerly awaiting updates.

I hope you enjoy this story. It has been and is fun for me to write; I hope it will be an enjoyable read for you.

- Delusional

Disclaimer: I do not own the intellectual property rights to Skyrim or to any portion of the Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda/Xenimax owns it; I’m not making any profit here, etcetera. Now go read my story and stuff.

Table of Contents

Delusional

The year is 4E 241, and Tamriel is engulfed in chaos.
4E 211 – The civil war in Skyrim ends with the Stormcloaks prevailing, and eradicating the Empire’s Legions from Skyrim. Ulfric claims the throne.

4E 215 – The masses of Skyrim realize their grave mistake of seating Ulfric on the throne, and a distress call goes out from the Nords to the Empire. The Empire returns and seizes control over the province in less than a year, securing their control over Skryim once again.

4E 219 – Chaos erupts between the Dunmer of Morrowind and the Argonians of Black Marsh. The Dunmer grow tired of unending Argonian harassment and occupation of Southern Morrowind, and in response, draft a massive army called ‘The Dark Cloud’, and strike deep into Black Marsh, starting the Dark Marsh War.

4E 221 – The Empire jumps at the opportunity to reclaim South Morrowind and assimilate Black Marsh back into the Empire and sends support, supplies and reinforcements to the Dunmer armies.

4E 223 – The assault in Black Marsh quickly becomes bogged down, and draws to a stalemate in 4E 223 around the town of Helstrom. The ensuing Battle of Helstrom Marsh is the most taxing and bloody engagement of the Dark Marsh War yet.

4E 226 – The Aldmeri Dominion, seeing the Empire occupied, invades Hammerfell with much success. They quickly secure the cities of Rihad and Taneth, and use them to prepare for their conquest of the entire province.

4E 228 – The Empire notices this great threat on their western flank, and dispatches several Legions to assist the Redguards in their defense. They hope once they eradicate the Thalmor threat from Hammerfell, the province will gladly be absorbed into the Empire once again.

4E 231 – A civil war breaks out in Elsweyr – West Elsweyr supported by the Empire, East Elsweyr supported by the Dominion. The war quickly enters a stalemate, and the conflict dies down for the most part.

4E 237 – The Elsweyr civil war sparks back up again with colossal Empire support to East Elsweyr, and the borders slowly begin to shift as the Empire gains more and more control over the Khajiit homeland. Later in 4E 237, the Empire launches an invasion on Valenwood, hoping to divert Dominion attention from Hammerfell, which is a losing battle. They strike hard and fast and quickly gain a foothold in the home region of the Dominion, controlling Arenthia and slowly expanding out into the thick forests.

4E 238 – High Rock begins an insurrection, undoubtedly provoked by Thalmor agents in response to the invasion of Valenwood. The rebels take control of nearly all of High Rock, save Farrun and Jehanna. They slowly begin to expand outwards into West Skyrim and North Hammerfell.

4E 240 – The Aldmeri Dominion began naval transporting Thalmor battalions from Northpoint, High Rock to the north coast of Skyrim, around the ports of Solitude and Dawnstar, beginning a campaign to conquer Skyrim.

4E 241, Current Situation –

The civil war in Elsweyr continues, with the Empire controlling nearly three-fourths of the province.

The Dominion has pushed further into Hammerfell, reaching, and conquering, the city of Elinhir and marching on Skaven and Dragonstar. The conquest of Hammerfell seems more and more inevitable. Empire support has been cut off by the Dominion, as Thalmor blockade roads in and out of Hammerfell, and with Elinhir under Dominion control, little to nothing can be done to help now. Redguard forces have drawn back into their western cities, exhausted; preparing for the worst.

The Dark Marsh War continues in full force, with the Dark Cloud and their Imperial reinforcements taking hold of cities, but shortly losing them to Argonian freedom fighters.

The invasion of Valenwood has had varying degrees of success, the Empire demolishing the Thalmor in some battles; the Empire being demolished by the Thalmor in other battles. The Legions of the Empire have nearly reached Falinesti and Silvenar, while another Legion force has moved through Arenthia to attempt to conquer the northern cities of Elsweyr, starting with Dune.

The insurrection in High Rock has escalated rapidly, as the Aldmeri Dominion are landing troops in now Dominion-controlled High Rock to branch outwards, attempting to crumble the Empire from within, laying siege to Markarth in Skyrim and assisting with the siege of Dragonstar.

The Thalmor who landed on the north coast of Skyrim have seized control of Solitude and Dawnstar, taking the High King hostage; throwing the province into chaos. The Thalmor have begun to advance towards Markarth to assist in the siege there, and have made moves towards Winterhold.

This is the story of the Seven. Seven ordinary, generic denizens of Tamriel will cross each other’s paths and find a way to end the Aevum Obscurum. It has been decided by the Divines.

These people do not know each other. They have absolutely no affiliation with each other, but as the Divines and fate have dictated, the Seven will come together as one, and then, and only then, will the Age of Darkness, the Aevum Obscurum, come to a close, and a dark chapter in the long history of Tamriel will come to close at last.

This is the Aevum Obscurum. These are the Seven. And this is their story.

Delusional

Prologue
“There’s no other way – we are powerless. We must act, and this is the only way of action.”
Zenithar sat in council with his fellow Divines, surrounding a colossal, golden slab of a table. A large orb floated several feet above the table, an orb that portrayed the planet Nirn. The God of Work sat lazily in his seat, paying little interest to the session that had been ongoing for several hours now. Akatosh, the Dragon God, had risen from the table a short while ago, and paced furiously around the table where Zenithar had gathered, however reluctantly, with the other Divines to meet about this supposed ‘end of all days’ in Tamriel.
Zenithar, clad in his usual attire for such gatherings - flowing, navy blue robes - looked up from the floor, where his eyes had been fixated on a small, intricate onyx design on the pure white marble while his mind wandered. Akatosh stood just behind his seat, a look of frustration plastered on the face of his Dragon Avatar. His arms were crossed tightly across his chest as he undoubtedly waited for the constant rebuttals to his statement that continued to drag the session on.
As expected, Julianos spoke up, obviously not settled with the matter quite yet.
“Have you no sense, Akatosh? We risk angering the Daedra if we carry through with such a daring attempt!” He rose from his seat as he spoke, his beard flowing gracefully to brush the ground with its long, wavy wisps of snow white hair, and his matching stark white robes billowing underneath the beard. “We have witnessed humanity save itself several times before; they are capable of it another time. It would not be wise to evoke anger from the Daedra by toying with what is undeniably their creation!”
Julianos remained standing, and Akatosh was still visibly frustrated, the feeling most likely driven further by Julianos’ fear of the Daedra. Zenithar rubbed his forehead with his hand, and waited for the inevitable response from the God of Mercy. He had gotten quite good at predicting who would be the next to abruptly stand and spew forth their mind in angry words in these meetings.
As Zenithar had foretold, Stendarr stood as well. “The Daedra?! You are fearful of those DEMONS?!” His voice was deep and booming, and was only complimented by the anger that accompanied talk of Daedra during these sessions.
Heh, one thing I actually take from these meetings is that ol’ Stendarr really doesn’t like Daedra. I should probably keep that in mind, Zenithar thought idly, reclined in his chair, yearning for the end of this debate. His left hand returned to his face, where it rubbed his cheek this time. Zenithar yawned and closed his eyes in doing so.
“Please, you two, take your seats, and Stendarr, quiet. We have gotten little accomplished since you called this session, Akatosh, and we will continue to accomplish little until the stars themselves burn out if we continue with these sporadic outbursts of anger and yelling. Sit, and let us calmly converse about this matter,” said Mara, the Goddess of Love, her voice reaching out to soothe the anger of the Dragon and Stendarr. Zenithar was unsurprised that she was the peacemaker, nor was he surprised when he saw the other female deities nod in agreement and lean forward, ready to finally speak.
Akatosh eventually took his seat, though it appeared to be a reluctant notion to Zenithar, while Julianos nodded graciously at Mara, and Stendarr immediately dropped down onto the golden chair, his angry expression still clear to the eye.
Silence followed; it was a beautiful silence. A silence not interrupted by neither yell, nor shout, nor blurt. It was blissful silence, broken only by the smooth voice of the hero-god Talos. Zenithar leaned forward, ready to perhaps engage himself now that it seemed likely this meeting would conclude soon.
Talos had stood, but not out of anger, it seemed. He adjusted the deep red cloak that was fastened over the steel armor of the Empire slightly before speaking. “Have faith, you all. I was a human once, and I formed the Empire once. I have faith that the humans will be able to solve this conflict on their own, without help from us. We do not have a need to involve ourselves if they can handle the problem themselves – which I know they can.” He slowly sat down after he finished, and silence had overtaken the meeting table once more. Several of the Divines had nodded in approval, perhaps for different reasons, but it was approval nonetheless. After a moment of silence, Arkay cleared his throat.
“We have been able to stand by idly in previous conflicts, true. But with as many prayers coming to us now from innocent peasants and frightened children, we cannot stand aside idly for this conflict. The cycle of life and death had been thrown out of equilibrium, and when that occurs, it is our duty to involve ourselves,” Arkay said, his voice a gentle whisper. His dark orange robes rippled in a beauty few mortals would ever have the pleasure of witnessing as he leaned on the table, propping his body up with his forearms. He slowly gazed around the room, eying each of the Divines. Zenithar gazed back at him, as if to urge him to finish with just a look. This could very well be the knockout punch for this meeting.
“We are the Divines, and when called upon, we must be the Divines for our people. I understand many of you may not have wanted them here in the first place, but now that they are here, and are praying to us, calling our names for help, we are obliged to – especially when the equilibrium of life and death is being altered by this event.”
Akatosh, who seemed content enough with Arkay’s words, stood again. He immediately began to pace around the table, eager to conclude this debate.
“Not so fast, Akatosh… have you forgotten about our other brothers and sisters? Are you so bent on getting your way that you would blatantly refuse them time to voice their thoughts?” Mara questioned the Dragon God of Time, partially upset with his lack of care or love for the others, including Zenithar himself, who had remained quiet mostly due to dozing off or his mind wandering.
Zenithar glanced around the platform that held the table to see several of the Divines nodding vigorously in agreement with Mara’s statement, some of which who looked close to bursting from impatience.
Without saying a word, the God of Time returned to his seat, and waited.
“Thank you, Mara, my sister. I would have loved the opportunity to voice my thoughts earlier, but it seemed some were preoccupied,” said Dibella, clearly annoyed with Akatosh, to whom she glared at. “I, myself, do agree with intervention. The beauty of the image that we painted below is being destroyed, and the beautiful people we created are being slaughtered. We cannot allow this to continue; else we risk the beauty of all of Nirn being decimated.”
Zenithar looked a Dibella thoughtfully, partially because she was divinely beautiful, but also because her words made sense to Zenithar. He thought the same, that the image not only they as Divines had worked so hard to create, but also the image that man has worked so hard to create is being destroyed so easily and so quickly. I suppose I should throw in my lot, just for the sake of ending this torment.
The God of Work glanced around the table, and after seeing no visible movements to speak, cleared his throat with a loud cough. “Seeing as this meeting is clearly about to conclude, I suppose I should speak my mind as well, no?” Zenithar paused for a moment before continuing. “I believe we should take action. Peace and prosperity are achieved through diligent, hard work and honest profit, not through war and bloodshed. I rest my case,” Zenithar finished, and lazily reclined in his chair once more, feeling the end of the meeting drawing nearer and nearer.
“Does anyone else have anything to offer? Otherwise, we will hold a vote in order to decide our course of action,” Mara said, as if she was reaching out to each Divine with her heart before calling a close to the meeting.
Silence followed, and Zenithar glanced around the table again. Blank expressions were aplenty among the Divines; it was obvious that the discussion was over. After a while of silence, Akatosh rose, this time without interruption from the Goddess of Love.
“It is time we hold a vote.” Akatosh slowly walked around the table, his footsteps ringing loudly off the marble platform. “All in favor of selecting an array of mortal champions to serve us, the Divines, in ending this Age of Darkness in Tamriel, raise your hands.”
In response to the resounding statement, the hands of Akatosh himself, the Dragon God of Time; Arkay, the God of Life and Death; Dibella, the Goddess of Beauty; Mara, the Mother Goddess of Love; Stendarr, God of Mercy and Justice; Zenithar, the God of Work and Commerce rose in the air. After wavering in the air for several seconds, the hands slowly descended one by one.
“And those opposed?”
The hands of Julianos, God of Wisdom and Logic; Kynareth, the Goddess of Nature; Talos, God of War and Governance rose in response to Akatosh.
“It seems we have our plan of action. We shall reconvene tomorrow to select the champions,” Akatosh said, his tone lighthearted and full of pleasantness. He disappeared off the platform in a puff of smoke.
Ah, thank us that finally ended, Zenithar thought as he slowly rose from his chair and stretched the old bones of the form he took on when in these meetings. After a myriad of cracks, he lowered his arms, and also disappeared in a puff of smoke, departing the platform and heading back to his own home.
The Divines all disappeared in their own smoke puffs, and soon enough, the platform was vacant. It soon faded off into the emptiness of the plane around it; however, the large orb of Nirn remained, suspended mysteriously in the void. It continued to rotate, emanating a ‘whirring’ noise and emitting a dull glow, pulsating slowly.
“Ah yes… Julianos… how right you were…” A faint voice floated from the sphere, before it too, faded off into the snow white backdrop.

Harc

Big Hog
Damn Del. this is gonna be pretty good. I liked the order of evens that occurred too!

Delusional

Thanks, you Thalmor prick.

Just kidding, love ya Harc. Thanks for the kind words.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
So this was the inspiration for tension's rising? I may be a bit biased, but I can't wait to read more!

Love it.

Delusional

Thanks! Yeah, this was indeed the idea I built off of for Tensions Rising.

Rextoret

top kek
I would post a GIF, but I know how annoying those can be on the front page of a fan-fiction. So I'll just leave a link to it instead.

Anyway, this is fantastic. I can't wait to see more. Congrats, sir. I applaud you and your skill. Perhaps this will inspire me to resume writing fan-fiction at some point.

Delusional

Haha! Thank you for the compliments, and great gif. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Delusional

Chapter I
Ven-Ju
The wind blew gently through the thick swamp, rustling the leaves that barely hung off the native swamp trees and whistling through the bushes and shrubbery that coated the soft ground of the marsh. Tall, twisted and thick trunks rose from the damp ground to branch out into massive canopies, covering the ground with a cloak of darkness. The moonlight shone brightly overhead, penetrating the canopy above with beams of luminescent light through small gaps in the entanglement of leaves and branches. A path cut through the swamp vegetation, a swath of dirt and gravel separating the trees and undergrowth of the marshes of what the native Saxhleel called ‘Argonia’.

An Argonian native, with sleek black scales accented by dark green stripes sat crouched in the brush, exhaling steadily, iron-tipped spear gripped in his left hand, iron sword gripped in his right. His penetrating green eyes darted from side to side, ears alert, waiting for the sound of the warhorn, signaling the time to strike. He reached up to scratch his scaled head as he lay in wait.

He could feel sweat dripping down his back, underneath his ragged boiled leather jerkin. His body was tense; anxious, ready to spring forth from the brush when the time was right. The Argonian glanced around again, searching for his fellow natives, also hidden in the swamps, waiting. His head swiveled rapidly, and his eyes searched the unending foliage for his companions. One by one, his keen eyes spotted them. One seated in a tree, perched on a hidden branch, clutching a yew longbow; one lying prone on the opposite side of the path, longsword in hand; another crouched behind a thicket, like himself, spear cradled in his arms. Every one of them was waiting, tense and alert.

As the Argonian’s eyes darted across the pitch black landscape, his ears picked up a distant noise, the faint sound of steel on steel. His hearing was substantially better than that of his brethren. He searched for another Argonian to warn, but he could not draw the attention of any of the others. Hopefully they realize they’re coming before it’s too late.

Several minutes passed, and the sound grew ever closer, resounding off the stubby trunks of the trees of the marsh and off into the vast, not-so-empty swamps beyond the path. Soon enough, the flickering glow of torches came into view, and he noticed his companions stirring. Good, they noticed. Now, we wait. The Argonian gripped his weapons tightly and anxiously licked his lips, waiting.

It was only a few more minutes before the patrol itself came into view of the hiding guerillas, and made its way down the path that split the marshes where the Argonians lie in wait. The sound of steel rang ominously through the empty trees and into the ears of the guerilla fighters. The soldiers of both the Imperial Legion and the Dunmer Dark Cloud marched tirelessly through the swamps; a low murmur rising from the patrol floated across the dark bog.

Suddenly, a deep bellow pierced the stagnant air. It was a warhorn; it was time to strike. The Argonian leapt from his hiding spot with the quickness of a viper and jumped down onto the path from the embankment, spear pointed and sword ready. He sprinted down onto the dirt path where the patrol had already been enveloped in the chaos of the ambush; his fellow freedom fighters who had already begun the attack. The Argonian jabbed his spear into a charging Imperial Legionnaire’s stomach, and turned to his left to parry an overhead sword swing from a Dunmer’s steel longsword.

Dislodging his spear from the crumpled Imperial’s body, he leaped back just in time to dodge a second swing, and proceeded to throw his spear into the attacking Dunmer. It sunk itself into the Dark Elf’s left shoulder, and he doubled over in pain, trying to pull the spear out. While the Dunmer was occupied, the Saxhleel charged him and with a quick sword swipe to his throat, ended his life.

He wrenched the spear free of the lifeless corpse and looked up to view the battle before him. The patrol had nearly been obliterated already, only a few Legionnaires and Dunmer warriors remaining. The last two Imperial Legionnaires turned their tails and ran back the way they came, and after the last Dunmer had fallen to a mace blow from a grey-scaled guerilla fighter, one of the Argonian bowmen turned to his fellow freedom fighters.

“How much you want to bet I can hit both of those fools?” he jested, and a laughter broke out among the natives as the archer readied his longbow and loosed an arrow down the path, shortly followed by a second arrow. The distant thud of man meeting ground could be heard twice, and the party broke out in laughter again before the natives busied themselves with the task of stringing the corpses of the fallen Imperials and Dunmer from the stubby, thick brown branches of the marsh trees that stretched over the path below, joining the separated halves.

The task was easily completed, and the party was soon on their way back to the village, leaving behind a dozen lifeless bodies suspended in the air, hanging motionlessly from the entanglement of tree branches that covered the path.

“Nice fighting, Ven-Ju.” The grey-scaled Argonian approached the black lizard, idly swinging his mace around his fingers. His orange eyes gazed deeply into Ven-Ju’s, a hint of playfulness among them.

“No need for compliments, Reeza. It was one of many battles, and a particularly lucky one, at that.” Ven-Ju’s serious tone halted Reeza’s mace, and the Argonian wiped the slight smirk from his mouth.

“Why must you always be so stern? Have some fun, Ven. I’d hate to see you die like you are,” he said, eyes locked forward on the road ahead.

“Say what you will; that was a small victory. Dwell not on it, and rather on what is to come.” Ven-Ju turned away from the Argonian and quickened his pace, leaving him behind. Many of these fighters are too young to know of real struggle; they find amusement in victory, even killing. They must grow up lest they become just another dead warrior, one who fought valiantly for the cause, but will likely not be remembered...

The dank quagmire surrounding the party of traveling Saxhleel provided no change of scenery, the dark green leaves gently waving as the natives passed through, just inches from their grasp. The wind had died down, and the moonlight still beamed brightly, lighting the worn dirt path for the Argonians. Not that they needed the assistance, they were natives of the land after all, not ones to be lost in their own wilderness.

The trek took close to an hour; by the time the party had reached the settlement of Helstrom, they were exhausted, and the moon had given way to a rising sun. The rag-tag group of Argonians passed underneath the crumbling and makeshift outer defensive wall, worn from constant harassment of the Imperial and Dunmer forces. Cobblestones littered the soft, muddy ground around the wall, portions of the wall that had long since departed from the sad structure.

Just past the depressing little wall lay the settlement of Helstrom, one of the most centrally-located settlements of Black Marsh. Small, battle-worn shanties and cottages sprawled across the marsh in a disorganized mess, typical of dwellers of the swamps of Argonia. Ven-Ju almost immediately broke off from the band of returning fighters to return to his home, his feet blistered and sore; his body yearning for rest. It was a slight inconvenience that his and his family’s home was located on the most southern region of the village, but Ven-Ju pushed the pain and fatigue out of his mind.

It took several minutes to make his way across the village, weaving in and out of busy Argonian townspeople, just getting out and beginning their day, but Ven-Ju finally arrived at his meager cottage. He shouldered the door open and stumbled inside, welcomed with a roasting fire in the small hearth, and loving greetings from his wife and kid.

“Papa! You’re home!” Grevar, Ven-Ju’s 10 year old son rushed up to his father and wrapped himself around his abdomen while his wife watched on with a joyful smile. Ven-Ju hugged the young Argonian back, grinning. “It’s good to see you, son.” The black-scaled Argonian broke away from his son’s embrace and approached his wife, Fexara.

“How have you been, sweetling?” Ven-Ju gently asked his wife as he snaked his arms around her waist. She looked up to him with a smile before kissing him softly. “I’ve been fine, but Grevar has been bouncing off the walls since you left.” Light laughter filled the cozy cottage; the small Argonian family was reunited again, a fire crackling quietly in the stone hearth, casting a dim orange light that filled the home with its warmth, the shadows of the happy family dancing across the wooden walls of their humble abode.

Although it was nearly the peak of day, Ven-Ju was exhausted from the travel back from the swamps. After a hearty meal of seared slaughterfish, vegetable stew, a hunk of goat cheese and a tankard of ale to wash it down, the black-scaled Argonian stumbled to his bed, barely able to shed his sweat-soaked leather armor before collapsing onto the bed and falling into a deep sleep.

Ven-Ju slept well into the day, the sun preparing to begin its descent as he rose from the sheepskin mattress where he had rested. Fexara was preparing a meal, most likely dinner; Grevar was nowhere to be seen. The Argonian stumbled to the hearth groggily, where his wife toiled over a cast iron pot, roasting over the flickering fire. A thick broth filled the pot, its pungent smell filling the air around the two lizards with spice and heat. Ven-Ju licked his lips, alerting his wife of his presence.

“Oh, good evening, sweetheart,” she laughed as she turned away from the pot to face the black-scaled Argonian. Ven-Ju smiled as he lightly dipped a finger in the stew and ran his forked tongue over his scaled finger. Mm, potato stew. His favorite.

“Where is Grevar? And mm, this tastes very good,” Ven-Ju said, returning Fexara’s gaze.

“He is out, most likely fooling around with those other boys. I’m glad he found a good group of friends.” Fexara turned back to the broth, waiting patiently in the iron pot, and began to stir it slowly with a chipped wooden ladle.

“Ah, that is good. Listen, I need to make some rounds around town, perhaps pick up some things at the market. Is there anything you need?”

“Well, we could always use some more fresh produce. Apples, cabbage and potatoes. They seem so hard to come by now-a-days… is it the war? Anyways, if you happen to see any while you’re out, please do pick them up.”

“Alright, I will do.” Ven-Ju spun his wife around and gave her a quick peck on the lips before throwing a loose, brown tunic and rough, black trousers on over his undergarments, slipping a pair of black leather boots on, strapping his swordbelt around his waist and departing. The door of the cottage creaked open when Ven-Ju rested his hand against it and was greeted by the light of the setting sun, cast eerily over the town of Helstrom. The Argonian started down the worn, dirt and gravel path into the center of town.

Cottages and shanties lined the side of the road, some in disrepair; some in ruins. Bands of small Saxhleel children ran about, weaving in and out of the houses, giggles resonating through the empty swamps surrounding the settlement. This place almost feels like a ghost town, now… have that many people really fled to the coast?

The trek from Ven-Ju’s cottage to the center of town was a short walk down the well-traveled path. The town center of Helstrom consisted of a group of market stalls lazily set up along the path and a damaged inn opposite the sad little center plaza from the market stalls. There was a blacksmith’s set up nearby, but it had been vacant as of late – the smith that owned it was killed in a skirmish with Dunmer warriors. A few cottages surrounded the market and inn; Argonian townsfolk carried on with their day, bustling to and fro, about their everyday duties.

Ven-Ju veered over to the market stalls, glancing across the merchandise for sale. There were rusty iron swords and maces, ratty leather armor, some steel ingots, various meats from swamp creatures; nothing that resembled produce, much less fresh produce, at all. Ven-Ju wrinkled his nostrils in disgust as the vile smell of the collection of strange meat drifted across the market. The Argonian strode up to the stall displaying the various meats, catching the attention of the brown-scaled, ugly Argonian shopkeeper.

“Is there something I can get you?” His voice was very raspy; Ven-Ju noticed his left eye was a glossy white. The man had a butcher knife in hand, splattered with blood, much like the white apron he wore.

“Uh, yes. Do you happen to have any fresh produce? Er, just any produce?” Ven-Ju asked quizzically, leaning on the ramshackle wooden table where the butcher laid out his product.

The butcher grunted and smirked. “Heh, fresh produce? You ain’t gonna find any o’ that out here.” He turned away from Ven-Ju, returning to hacking away at a large, red slab of meat.

Ven-Ju shook his head slowly and pushed himself off the table. “Where would I find some, then?”

“No idea there, I s’pose you could check ‘round the other stalls,” the butcher said, grunting as he cut a large section off the meat and flopped it over onto the table. “Well? You gonna buy somethin’, or what?”

Ven-Ju turned on his heels and stalked out of the stall, unsurprised at the lack of produce. Ever since those pigs invaded, it has been impossible to farm. The constant threat of Imperial or Dunmer soldiers is too great to run a farm… damn shame. Off to the tavern it is, then.

The tall Argonian crossed across the wide path and ascended the few wooden steps up to the porch before the inn. Ven-Ju slowly pushed the heavy oak door open and entered the crowded inn. The gentle rumble of conversation and laughter greeted the Argonian as he stepped inside. Ven-Ju glanced around the inn, eyes searching for a certain someone…

“Ay! Vennie! Over ‘ere!” The friendly voice was unmistakable. Ven-Ju smiled and approached the table where the call came from. An empty chair lay discarded along the inn wall; Ven-Ju grabbed it and pulled it over before collapsing into it, bring his eyes level with the several other jolly Saxhleel seated around the table, enjoying their drinks.

“Heh, how have you guys been? Re-Zara, how’s the wife?” Ven-Ju leaned up against the table, resting his forearms on the aged wood.

“Hey, we have been fine. Don’t you worry ‘bout us, alright Vennie? How have YOU been?” Re-Zara responded with a hearty laugh. His scales were a bright green, and complimented with deep yellow eyes. There was no doubt he was drunk. Ven-Ju grinned. Gods, do I love these guys.

“Ha, I’ve been alright, except I’ve missed you guys! Hey, anyone wanna get me a flagon o’ wine?” Ven-Ju shouted, to which the others at his table responded in an outbreak of laughter.

It didn’t take long for Ven-Ju to receive his large flagon, overflowing with a deep red liquid. He lifted in in the air, wine steadily dripping down the side of the flagon, and the inn seemed to fall completely silent. Ven-Ju cleared his throat.

“I propose a toast, not just to you guys, my great friends, but also everyone. Every one of you, each and every Argonian that has chosen to take a stand against these vile invaders! To friendship… and to defiance!” Ven-Ju shouted to the rafters, his toast ending in a roar of yelling and hooting. The clinks of mug on mug, flagon colliding with tankard resonated throughout the wooden frame of the inn; Ven-Ju rose his flagon to his grinning lips and tilted his head back, letting the dark crimson liquid come rushing out, down his throat and down his chin, staining his loose tunic and dripping onto the stone floor, forming small, dark red puddles.

Just like blood.

Delusional

Thanks! Yes, there is much more to come. Shady Khajiits, chaotic naval battles, really bitchy Thalmor Wizards... I am eager to share the rest. :D

We should. I'd be game for it, even now, with HotC and DoK (and soon to be PoaH once I choose what character to use) and this fanfic.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
An enjoyable read, Delusional. :p Truly.

The timeline and background information were helpful, thank-you for including it.

The prologue piqued my interest the most, as you boldly attempted to breathe some life into the Divines. The scene was pleasantly descriptive, of course, but that is not its best feature. Personally, I have always viewed the Divines as fallible beings who are simply more powerful version of mortals rather than actual gods, just as you depicted. That is the best feature of this scene.

For the most part, I enjoyed the scene with your Argonian as well. The only improvements that can be made (since your descriptions are excellent and your characterization credible) are in adding more to certain scenes. There are several locations where you missed an opportunity to really draw me into this world of yours. Part of it comes from posting an incomplete story, I think. I'll show you an example.

The task was easily completed, and the party was soon on their way back to the village, leaving behind a dozen lifeless bodies suspended in the air, hanging motionlessly from the entanglement of tree branches that covered the path.

This particular task - the stringing up of fallen imperial corpses - is not easy. I found myself incredibly curious as to how this feat might be completed, actually. Imagining he Argonians completing this grisly detail quickly jolted me out of the story. Dead bodies weigh a lot, for one, but leaving them in their armor and wit their gear might even double that weight. Even locating a suitable branch to hang such a person would be a task that would take time, let alone the actual stringing up of these dead fighters. Which would involve careful knot tying on the branches and several argonians at a time to pull a body up there. I wager the task would take a couple of hours, maybe less if there are more Argonians than were implied. Either way, with how descriptive you have been so far, it is a shame to pass up an opportunity to really show the true nature of the story you are telling. Seeing the main character of this segment of story going about the grim work of dangling corpses from trees is delightful fodder for characterization.

The next part that pulled me out of the scene was 'speeding' through the journey home. In my humble opinion, I think you missed a great opportunity to introduce some of his comrades by not "telling" us about their journey home rather than "showing us" at least a part of it.

Again, I enjoyed this read thoroughly. :) I eagerly anticipate future installments, though in my opinion, I'd rather read the entirety of it from start to finish. I definitely do not understand the notion of posting a story in installments for others to read. Still, I will feast upon your vivid, detail-oriented writing as often as you make it available for me to do so. Well done.

Delusional

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I'll keep your advice in mind as I continue to write.

ultimatedovahkiin

Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.
I've been wanting to get around to reading this and I'm glad I finally did! Great story Delu, Imma be waiting for more!

Delusional

Thanks Dovah! I appreciate the compliments.

However, I have some bad news. Unfortunately, there is a chance, and a rather large one at that, that I have lost all files related to this fanfic. My laptop's HDD failed, and there is only a slim chance that the Geek Squad will be able to recover my data--including the several chapters I have already written, my outlines, character descriptions, etc. All files related to Aevum Obscurum. If they are unable to retrieve my files and data, there will be little to no motivation for me to continue this, having to rewrite my chapters, outlines, etc. If everything is lost, I may pick it back up, but beware. Hopefully they will be able to perform a miracle and recover my data.

ultimatedovahkiin

:eek: Well, let's all hope for a miracle. I am really enjoying this story, and it will sssssssuuuuucccccckkkkk if it stops being written.

Delusional

I have returned, and with good news.

My laptop is fixed, and my files are all intact.

Though I don't like the Geek Squad, they successfully retrieved my data and replaced my broken hard drive. I will spend the next few days getting my laptop updated and re-installing all the programs I previously had on it. Once that is all said and done, I will continue to work on this fan fiction and chapter updates will be more regular.

Though, they may be further apart than I originally stated in the introductory post, as school has begun, and the classes I am taking this semester require some degree of studying and doing homework. Therefore, the free time I have, between band rehearsals, school and homework, will be severely limited, and thus the time I will have to work on this fanfic. (I have a social life too... I think.) These next few weeks will be a period of transition for me as I get a feel for writing and how much time I have while in school and involved in marching band. Eventually there will be a set schedule for installments, but it is nearly 100% guaranteed to be at least a week longer than the original update time.

So, in conclusion, my laptop is up and running again, my files are not lost, and I will begin writing again as soon as possible, though the time between updates may be prolonged due to real life commitments, such as school and band, and a personal want for a social life.

That said, you can expect a chapter posting within two weeks from now. Perhaps. Actually, I should phrase that like this, rather--you can expect a chapter posting when I get my plops together.

That is all.

Delusional

Chapter II
Ri’Visah
The room was dimly lit, the only lighting present being a lone lantern set on the center table, a single candle resting between the rusted iron bars, flickering sporadically. The table it sat upon was a large table, made of mahogany, crafted from the wood of the forests of Cyrodiil. It was an aged piece of furniture; it served its purpose well, and was the only furnishing to the bleak, stone room. The grey stone bricks that made up the walls were cracked and beaten, signs of age showing as evident as the signs of the heavy table.

A Khajiit was seated comfortably in a wooden chair, not too dissimilar from the table on which the cat leaned his forearms against, paws clasped together. He was clad in black and dark blue boiled leather assassin outfit, with a billowing black cloak fastened around his neck, chaos star insignia sewn onto it. His piercing forest green eyes seemed to shine through the darkness that shrouded his face, cloaked by a heavy, black hood. A smirk was implanted on his expression, as he waited, eying the man opposite the table.

He was a nervous man, from what the Khajiit could already tell. His light blue eyes darted back and forth, beads of sweat forming along the brow of his light brown hair. Fingers fidgeting, he looked quite uncomfortable, constantly re-positioning himself in his chair. It is fun to make the nervous ones wait, heh.

“Well, this one is prepared to do business. What have you come here for?” The Khajiit spoke first, voice full of mischief and playfulness, his nasal Khajiiti accent breaking the silence. The man immediately snapped his eyes forward and quit with his nervous ticks. He cleared his throat several times, enough to make the Khajiit snicker lightly.

“I… I uh… I’m here to in- inquire about… uhm… an… assassination contract?” His voice was wavering, most likely from nervousness. He stumbled and stuttered over his sentence, provoking a second snicker from the cat across the table. After he finished his broken question, he reached a hand up to scratch his head vigorously.

“Ah yes, this one receives plenty of those. Who do you have in mind, and do you have payment? I hope that you know of our policies, yes?” the Khajiit asked, the amusement blatantly obvious in his voice. The Empire sure knows how to choose their couriers… heh.

“Uh… yeah, well… my superiors do… here, j-… just take this,” the man answered, and slid a yellow parchment across the scratched table. His hand, in fact, his entire arm was shaking as he nervously slid the message over to the waiting Khajiit, the Khajiit that had a grin of amusement painted on his face.

The Khajiit reached out a paw and impaled the note with a claw, dragging it back to himself. He gently broke the recognizable seal of the Empire and began to read the note.

Addressed to our gracious assassin contractors, the note read. The Khajiit chuckled briefly at the tentative wording the Empire preferred to use in their messages, an attempt to cloak their arrogance.

The Empire has important business to be handled, and we know that you and your guild are very capable and reliable. We are contacting you once again in order to propose another contract. The target we have specified is Shee-Vaz, a prominent Argonian freedom fighter located in Helstrom, Black Marsh. The payment for this kill will consist of 50,000 septims. As per usual, half of the payment will be delivered upon acceptance to this contract; the second half delivered upon proof of death. We hope that our mutual partnership and relations may continue to be strong throughout this conflict.

Best regards,
General Darius K. Hellius
Commanding Officer of the 2nd and 3rd Legions, operating out of Leyawiin, Cyrodiil

The Khajiit smiled as he finished reading, and folded the note before returning his gaze to the anxious Imperial courier, sweating through his boiled leather jerkin and tunic. He slowly tucked the parchment inside his black leather armor before speaking.

“Well, I thank you for delivering this message. If you would, please send my regards to General Darius and notify him of our compliance to his demands. My, is this a lucrative business, eh?” The Khajiit stood carefully, adjusting his large black cloak as he rose. After several seconds, the courier remained motionless, seated at the table, frightened expression still painted on his face.

“What? Have you never met a Khajiit before? We tend to be a tad on the shady side. Now go, you!” The Khajiit grinned ear to ear as the Imperial rocketed out of his chair and out the door frantically. He chuckled lightly as he reached both paws up to pull the black hood off of his head, revealing his dark grey fur, with its midnight stripes. Several gold ringlets hung from his ears, glittering, even in the dim light. Spinning quickly on his heels, the Khajiit briskly exited the dim room and entered the wide hallway.

The stone bricks that interconnected to form the barren wall before the cat were cracked and mossy, worn from the years; had fallen into disrepair. The hallway was lit well, torches mounted along the wall in scones at regular intervals. Doors lined the hallway; there were doors on each end of the short hallway. The Khajiit softly closed the heavy oaken door behind him before turning to his left and approached the open entryway at the end of the passage.

“Ri’Visah, my lord, a caravan has arrived. They require your attention,” said a Khajiit standing guard at the door into the room beyond, white fur seeming to shine through his ringmail and boiled leather armor. The grey-furred Khajiit nodded in appreciation, and continued through the doorway.

The room he entered into was a large foyer, circular and constructed with the same bleak, grey stone brick walls as the hallway and meeting room were built with. Torches lined the walls here as well, and several large iron frame chandeliers hung from the vast ceiling on thick, rusted chains. A cluster of Khajiit had just entered the hall through the gate opposite Ri’Visah. The cat made his way across the hall; each footstep ringing loudly off the walls and vaulted ceiling.

“Ah, there you are, Ri’Visah! I was waiting, since I figured that you had finished your meeting after we all saw that poor man run out of that hallway and burst through the gate!” A light-grey furred Khajiit approached Ri’Visah and greeted him warmly with a smile and a laugh.

“It is good to see you are well, Dro’haaka. That man was a weak one, as are most of the couriers the Empire chooses to send,” the grey-furred Khajiit replied, returning the laughter before continuing. “How is this caravan doing? Well, I presume?”

“Yes, they are very weary from their travels. In fact, I must escort them to their quarters now,” Dro’haaka said, beginning to back away from Ri’Visah and towards the waiting caravan.

“Then go, show them to their quarters. When you are done, join us in the council chambers.” Ri’Visah smiled before turning on his heels and walking away from the hectic caravan.

He crossed the spacious hall, returning back through the doorway he entered from. He passed the snow white-furred Khajiit again; they exchanged a nod as Ri’Visah continued through the grey passage. Past the heavy oaken door that separated the hall of small, meeting rooms lay the grand hall. Its grandeur met the old Khajiit as he shouldered open the door gently. Rows upon rows of dark, large tables accompanied by long benches lay in front of Ri’Visah, stretching from the entryway back to the distant wall. Two hallways branched off the grand hall, to the direct left and right of Ri’Visah. Dozens of iron chandeliers hung from the spacious ceiling, glowing dimly, casting their light tentatively over the endless rows of tables and benches.

The Khajiit started down the hall, weaving through the benches that were strewn across the floor from the most recent feast. I must have this place put back into order, this mess is not acceptable. Tsk tsk tsk. Ri’Visah reached the opposite wall and passed through the open doorway that led into yet another hallway. This passageway was just as bright as the previous hallways, yet it was wider. Here lay the original foundations of the complex; what it was built around. The barracks of the assassins; the armory; forge, and alchemy and enchanting tables, each separated into separate rooms, were what this massive underground fortress was built around.

Ri’Visah turned down a final hallway that branched off the original passage. A set of steep stone stairs lay at the end, rising up to meet a heavy wooden door. The Khajiit ascended the steps slowly; shouldering the door open when he reached it. A large and dimly lit room greeted Ri’Visah, its only furnishings a large and long rectangular meeting table surrounded with chairs of the same style, and a few bookcases in the back. Oh how I love our fantastic sense of interior decoration, the Khajiit thought with a chuckle.

Several other Khajiit stood around the table, each behind a chair. Only two seats remained open; Ri’Visah slowly walked across the cold stone floor to the vacant seat at the head of the rosewood table. He placed both paws on the back of the matching rosewood chair and looked out across the table, illuminated by a few lanterns and candles placed on the table. The other Khajiit remained motionless, each clad in different armors and apparel.

The door banged open, and Dro’haaka walked in quickly. His leather armor clung tightly to his body as he briskly took his place behind the last empty chair at the table. After the echo of the sharp ring of his boots on the stone floor faded off, the table fell into a long silence. Ri’Visah cleared his throat.

“Let us sit.” The simultaneous scraping of wood across the rough stone floor resonated across the room as each Khajiit pulled their chair out and sat down around the table. Ri’Visah glanced around the table before beginning.

“Well, gentlemen, we have received yet another contract from the Empire.” Ri’Visah spoke softly, yet his voice filled the room. He reached into a chest pocket and withdrew the yellowed parchment the courier had delivered. He set it on the table and slid it away from him. Silence.

“I feel the Empire is becoming arrogant in their demands. They have just asked for us to eliminate an Argonian freedom fighter, one they claim is a prominent leader in their defense.” Ri’Visah reached to his waist, pulling out a steel dagger. He twirled it around in his paws for several seconds before continuing.

“This is unacceptable.” He stabbed the dagger down, impaling the note. He released the hilt, leaving the dagger protruding from the table. “We do not take orders from the Empire. They try to dress their messages, use pretty words to hide their arrogance, but Ri’Visah sees through their white lies.”

A Khajiit that was seated at the table spoke up. “J’kaar has seen this as well. They are scum, and the Syr does not deal with scum.” J’kaar had a long, light brown coat of fur, with piercing orange eyes--a rather intimidating sight.

“Yes, the Syr does not deal with scum. But in this case, we will. The business is too great to pass up. However, the Syr must ensure that the Empire understands who the real boss is in this relationship.” Ri’Visah rested his elbows on the table, clasping his paws together and resting his chin on the fist.

“What plan of action shall we take? Maybe some choice assassinations? Some unnerving death threats? Or perhaps a human heart in someone’s breakfast?” A white-furred Khajiit leaned forward, smirking. Ri’Visah chuckled in amusement.

“Heh, yes, what we will do, is scare the Empire. They will know the fear of becoming smug in their dealings with such a powerful assassin guild.” Ri’Visah leaned back in his chair, reclining comfortably before continuing.

“J’kaar. S’vada. Vesh. Ra’aarka. You will travel to Leyawiin, where this coward is located, and stir up as much chaos as is possible. Kill officials close to our beloved General. Leave threats and notes, vandalize their belongings. Hell, piss on their battleplans. Mess with them as much as you please, and as long as you show General Darius here who the real master of this relationship is, you have done your job well.” The four Khajiit mentioned nodded in affirmation – J’kaar, male, with his light brown coat of fur and intimidating orange eyes; S’vada, female with a glistening black coat and dull, grey eyes; Vesh, a male, almost vibrant Khajiit, with orange and black fur and bright red eyes; Ra’aarka, a male Khajiit with a light grey coat and bright, lime green eyes.

“Dro’haaka. Mandar. M’rana. S’Renj. You will stay here and ensure the fortress and its operations run smoothly. Dro’haaka, I pass control of the Fort of Sands to you, my friend.” The other four Khajiit nodded in affirmation as well – Dro’haaka, a male, light-grey furred Khajiit with warm yellow eyes; Mandar, a male Khajiit with white and brown striped fur, and light blue eyes; M’rana, a female, with a pure white coat of fur and dark, navy blue eyes; S’Renj, a female Khajiit with a coat of almost red fur, and dark, forest green eyes.

“We are all in agreement with these roles, no?” Ri’Visah’s eyes surveyed the table, studying each of the eight Khajiit seated around it. Some looked around the table as well, not having questions of their own. After a short pause, it was Dro’haaka who asked the inevitable question.

“Ri’Visah, what will you do, since you leave the Fort in Dro’haaka’s possession?” he asked quizzically.

“I will travel to Black Marsh and complete this contract myself.”

Silence overtook the council chambers; Ri’Visah took that as a sign of conclusion. He pushed his chair back with a scrape and stood up, adjusting the cloak that was latched around his neck slightly.

“In two days’ time those who must leave will depart, and Dro’haaka will assume control of the Fort of Sands.” With that, Ri’Visah turned on his heels as he did often and stalked out of the empty chamber, grinning mischievously.

Oh, the poor Empire. How I will weep for them.

ultimatedovahkiin

I meant to read this when it was posted, but I totally forgot. Another great chapter Delu.