• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Nightingale08

Prologue

I panted as I heaved myself and all of my gear up to the summit of the mountain. We had just crossed the border from Cyrodiil into Skyrim, and we were already fighting cold weather and huge mountains. My friend Sosa, a dunmer, had the good fortune of getting a horse. I was just an ordinary adventurer, my sword strapped to one side, a dagger strapped to the other. Finally, a bow and a quiver of arrows on my back. The only thing fancy was my sword.The blade held sentimental value. It was a strange weapon, not the normal steel design. It was more of a curved single edged sword, an Akaviri Katana, as my father called it. I named the sword Akavir, after its design. It was the only good thing my father ever gave me. I plopped down on the mountains icy path and Sosa looked at me. "Tired?" she mocked. I gasped for air and said, "No, I've just been walking for about two days!" Sosa's only sympathy was a smug grin. I sighed and asked, "Are we close to any cities? An inn is sounding pretty nice right now." Sosa pulled out her map and scanned it over. "We should be nearing Helgen right about now. Not the most grand place to finish our little adventure, but they have an inn." I hauled myself to my feet and said, "Well then let's get going."

Helgen was a small, but pretty lively town. Apparently a dragon by the name of Alduin had burned it down to the ground at least 50 years ago, before a hero by the name of Dovahkiin had slain the great beast and brought peace to Skyrim. Also, a man by the name of Ulfric Stormcloak was almost beheaded at the time Alduin destroyed the town. The Nords seemed to revere Ulfric almost as much as Dovahkiin. "Why wouldn't they?" Sosa explained, "He's the High King of Skyrim, the one who made Skyrim independent from the Empire. The Aldmeri Dominion doesn't like him too much, but they respect him well enough to keep out of Skyrim, for now." The Aldmeri Dominion. Now there was a name everyone across Tamriel heard and respected. If not, then the Thalmor would bust down your door and give you a quick death if they were in a good mood. "The Dominion are a bunch of Racist-" I started, but Sosa gave me a quick, urgent nudge. I shut up and looked to where she gestured. Two altmer, high elves, wearing Thalmor robes were walking through Helgen. They headed inside the inn and I said, "Let's find out what they're up to." Sosa questioned my motive, "Why? You think they're planning another invasion or something?"

We entered the inn and I spotted them sitting at a secluded table. I casually walked over to the counter and ordered a tankard of mead. I sat at the closest stool to the Thalmor Justiciars. It was difficult to hear what they were saying among the common rabble, but I could make out snippets of their conversation. "-had no idea who we were," said one of the Thalmor. The other replied, "Indeed, we should report what we found out before-". Sosa sat down next to me and ordered a bottle of ale. "Hear anything yet?" she asked. "Shh," I told her. I focused on their words. "-Stormcloak has no clue what's going to happen to his precious Skyrim." He said Skyrim with utter disgust, like there was no greater offense to him. "The Commander wants us to report to him as soon as possible. He told us to meet in Riften in a month." The two got up and left. I questioned whether I should pursue or not, but ultimately decided against it. If I could be in Riften a month from now, then I could find out who they were, and what exactly was going on. At the time I did not know that my decision to get involved with these suspicious strangers would change my life forever. My name is Vitellus Blackwing. I am an Imperial Dark Brotherhood Assassin.

Nightingale08

Chapter 1

We stayed overnight at the inn. When I woke up, Sosa was already downstairs with the townsfolk. I dressed in my normal attire, Dark Brotherhood armor. Here in Skyrim, only a select few could recognize the Dark Brotherhood's armor. None of those people were in Helgen. Lastly, I put on my amulet of Akatosh, the benevolent protector of Cyrodiil. I headed downstairs and sat down next to Sosa. She was already tearing apart a filet of seared slaughterfish. I ordered a venison chop and a tankard of mead. "Sleep well?" Sosa asked. "Well enough, I suppose," I replied. The barmaid gave me my food and I started to eat. I pondered the conversation that occurred last night. I explained to Sosa last night what I heard when we had some privacy. The Thalmor justiciars had acted like they were close to something that would change Skyrim forever. I gulped down my mead and asked Sosa, "Is there a place we can get some real supplies?" She nodded and replied, "Riverwood is just down the road from here. They have a blacksmith, general goods trader, and it's close to Whiterun. If we left now, we could be there in a matter of minutes." We were supposed to go to Dawnstar and meet up with the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary there, but I didn't think anyone would care if we took a little detour first.

Sosa was right. Riverwood was only a couple of minutes away from Helgen, and the town seemed to be overjoyed that Ulfric Stormcloak was now the High King. The only person who wasn't happy that he was the High King was a man by the name of Hadvar, who supported the Empire. The other villagers probably would've run him out of town, but they needed a blacksmith. Hadvar was a good smith, but he claimed that a man named Thorald Gray-Mane was the best blacksmith in all of Skyrim. "I'll have to give him a visit sometime," I remarked. I traded in my iron sword for a steel sword. I had to pay a small amount of gold as well as the sword. Sosa also wore Dark Brotherhood armor, and bought leather to reinforce both of our suits. After she had strengthened both of our armor sets, we bought some food from the innkeeper, and then headed off to Whiterun.

We headed down the road and saw one of Skyrim's most beautiful cities. We approached the gate and a guard approached us and asked, "What business do you have in Whiterun?" I looked at Sosa and then told him, "We came here from Cyrodiil." The guard nodded and told us to be careful, for dark elves and imperials were not entirely welcome under Stormcloak control. The man's tone made him sound like Whiterun had seen better days. I entered the city and immediately stumbled across a regiment of Stormcloaks. I tried not to draw attention to myself, but it didn't work. "Go back to the Imperial City!" one soldier spat. I shrugged off the ridicule and moved to what seemed to be the marketplace. I tried to get to know the townsfolk a little better.The Bannered Mare was run by a woman named Ysolda, but she was old and ready to pass on the business to her children. I got a chance to meet her husband, a man named Vilkas. He was once a Companion, but now he was very old and spent most of his time drinking and sleeping. Their children's names were Lucia and Samuel, both orphaned at a young age but then adopted by the family. The family was nice enough to give us some food and drink for our afternoon meal.

I happened upon a very bitter family, the Battle-Borns. They owned a farm outside the city, but then when the Stormcloaks captured Whiterun, the farm was captured and used to supply food to the hungry soldiers. They seemed happy to see an Imperial, one who grew up with the Empire. On the other hand was house Gray-Mane. When the Stormcloaks seized Whiterun, Vignar Gray-Mane was put in charge of the city as Jarl. He died ten years into the job, and then his son Avulstein Gray-Mane became Jarl. "If you're here to see the Jarl," said Lars Battle-Born, a man about 60 years of age, "be cautious, he doesn't take too kindly to imperials or dark elves in his city." I sat at a bench under a blossoming, beautiful tree, thinking about how I was going to remember all of these names and faces, when I saw a Khajiit, an Argonian, and a Wood Elf walking through the city. They were armed from head to toe, and I wondered what they were doing here. I realized they were looking directly at me, and walking towards me as well.

I nudged Sosa on the arm and we tried to casually walk away without causing trouble. I glanced back over my shoulder. They were still on my trail. I was running out of options. Finally, I just turned around, ready to confront the strangers. I was about to say something along the lines of, I don't want any trouble, but was cut short by the arrow whizzing by my face. The bosmer was firing arrows! I drew my sword and dodged the second arrow. Sosa drew her twin daggers and charged. The Khajiit moved to intercept her path. The Stormcloaks didn't even lift a finger to help us! That crossed the line. I charged the Argonian, who was wielding a sword-dagger combination. We clashed swords, but he was fast with the dagger. I was on the defensive, blocking and parrying every strike. Finally I found an opening and pushed him away from me, allowing some breathing room. He got ready and charged again. I got an idea, but I had to have good timing. The Argonian came at me like a whirlwind of steel, but at the last second I cast an alteration spell, candle light. As I expected, he dropped his weapons to protect his eyes from the light. I gutted him with my sword. The bosmer, sensing trouble turned around and fired another arrow. However, I was able to switch and cast another spell just in time. I caught the arrow with telekinesis. I managed to manipulate the arrow so that the point was facing him, then released the arrow back at him. It penetrated straight through his armor and killed him instantly. Sosa finished off the Khajiit with a well placed dagger to the face.

I caught my breath, trying to make sense of what just happened. "Search them," Sosa ordered. I searched the wood elf first, and didn't come up with anything. Sosa searched the Khajiit and said, "Nothing." I sighed and said, "If they're assassins or even mercenaries, then they have to have some sort of order or missive." I searched the Argonian's pockets. I pulled out a small slip of paper. Before I could unfold and read it, however, a Stormcloak came over and said, "You're under arrest." Sosa shot to her feet. "What for?! We were defending ourselves!" she exclaimed defiantly. I couldn't see his face under his helmet, but I could tell he was smiling. "Murder," he said, "Now unless you have 3,000 septims, you're coming with me to the Dragonsreach dungeons!" Neither of us had that much gold. "Take us to prison," I said weakly. The stormcloak grunted with satisfaction. "Now move, along!" he barked.

Nightingale08

Chapter 2

The Dragonsreach dungeons were moist and damp. The Stormcloaks threw me in one cell and Sosa in another. I watched as they closed the doors and locked it. They took all our possesions and threw them in a nearby chest. I kept an eye on the key as the stormcloak lazily set the key on a table near the door. Frustrated, Sosa pounded on the bars. I spied on the guard. He slouched over the table and I could tell he was drowsy. After a few minutes, he finally fell asleep. I scanned the cell, trying to find something. I felt something in the pocket of my roughly spun tunic. I looked inside of the pocket and found a lockpick. Who would give me a lockpick? I wondered. Sosa was still pacing the room with anger. I picked up a small stick on the floor of the cell and made a mock lockpick out of it. I tested the strength of the lock. The stick snapped with a little tension. Apprentice level work, but I would probably need more lockpicks to find the correct spot. I turned around and found something I hadn't noticed before. A dead criminal. Right there on the floor of the cell. I approached his body and searched him. He somehow had 7 septims on him. Why the guards had never taken it away was beyond me, but then I noticed his body was concealing something. A small grate. Small, but large enough for me to fit through. I picked up a shard of the stick I used earlier and tested the lock. The lock wasn't locked up very tight. I could probably pick it with the stick if I was determined enough.

I looked at Sosa, who had gotten tired of cursing the guard and had gone to sleep. I picked up the sleeping man and placed him on the bed, making him look like he was sleeping. I picked the lock using the stick, which was difficult at first, but I finally unlocked the the grate. I quietly slipped out and closed the grate above me. I silently waited for a few seconds until I was sure the guard was still asleep. I crept through the damply lit tunnels and then I found a vent leading directly to the chest. I was able to scoot the chest closer to the vent so that I could reach the lock. I managed to pick the lock and gingerly grabbed all my items inside. I dressed myself back into the Dark Brotherhood armor and decided to cover my face with the cowl. I usually didn't do this unless I had a contract or any other unusual business. An added perk was that it intimidated shopkeepers into giving me a slight discount. I pulled out a scratch piece of paper and left Sosa a note. It read:

Sosa,
I have managed to break out of the prison. Sorry I have to leave you, but when I get to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary I'll have them send someone to get you out. If you do get out beforehand, then I'll be in Riften.

I slid it under the bars into her cell. Knowing Sosa, she would probably find it a few minutes after she woke up. I went back to creeping underneath he prison until I found a ladder. I climbed up the ladder and into the streets of Whiterun. I was near Dragonsreach, and I couldn't help but marvel at how huge it was. I tried to keep a low profile and walk out of the city casually. It was easy since the sun was setting and not a lot of people were in the streets. I managed not to attract the attention of the Stormcloaks and managed to walk out of the city undetected. I tried to think of a way to get to Dawnstar. I started to walk to the stables when the gate guard approached me. "Stop!" he said. I froze. It was the same gate guard from before. I turned around, hoping he wouldn't recognize me. He did. "You're not supposed to be released until next week," he said, "what're you doing out here?" I tried to think of something to excuse my escape."Uhh," I said stupidly. "Breaking out of prison, eh?" he said pretty casually. Then he said something I never would've expected a guard to say. "Let me come with you." It took me a few moments to comprehend the words. "You want to come with me?" I asked. He nodded. "Stormcloak tyranny is pretty much jail," he said, "I wish I never joined them."

Still in shock, we paid for a wagon ride to Dawnstar. We talked a lot along the way. His name was Thogmar Gray-Mane. He was still a young man, 18 years old. His family had drafted him into the Stormcloaks, but he had always sympathized with the Empire, which his family hated him for. "Some time with the Sons of Skyrim will set his mind straight," His grandfather, Avulstein, claimed. I started to hate the Gray-Manes. They sounded like they only supported the stormcloaks because they put them in a position of power. When Thogmar asked me what I did, I told him I was with the Dark Brotherhood. He nearly flipped out of the wagon when he heard what I said. "You, with the ones who assassinated Emperor Titus Mede II?" He asked. I nodded, and then told him information only a few people knew. "That Nord hero, Dovahkiin?" I explained, "He made the killing blow." Thogmar practically fell out of the wagon, and I had to pull him back in. He seemed a lot more on edge than before. I realized it was because he expected me to draw a dagger and run it through his heart. "Relax," I joked, "I only kill people who make me angry." We talked for hours, and next thing you know, we we approaching the town of Dawnstar. It didn't have a wall, so the city was clearly visible. But everything was covered in a layer of snow. In the Imperial City, snow didn't exist. The only reason I knew what it was is because of my Father, who made frequent trips to Skyrim.

I searched for the distinctive black door that was the entrance to the Sanctuary. The townsfolk were mostly miners, but there were a few sailors who were docked at the port. "I'm going to rent a room at the inn," said Thogmar. I bid him goodbye and I ventured past the mountain. I sat down near the frozen beach and observed the port of Dawnstar. I heard the sailors chatter at the harbor, and then someone behind me said, "You lost?" I turned around to see a Bosmer, an Altmer, and a Redguard standing there. I replied, "No, I think I'm in the right town." But I just didn't think that, I knew it. I knew it because they were wearing the armor of the Dark Brotherhood.

Nightingale08

Chapter 3

The high elf said, "innocence, my brother." The sinister black door replied, "Welcome home." Two words members of the Dark Brotherhood were all too familiar with. The door slid open, revealing a sanctuary from the cold, unwelcoming weather of Skyrim. Miranda, the wood elf, said, "Here you are. Sanctuary at last." I thanked them for their help, and proceeded into the stone hallway. I walked down the stairs of the Dawnstar Sanctuary and found myself at a little outlook over what appeared to be the main room. A small child was sitting at the table nearby. "Welcome, Brother," she said, "the Listener told us you would arrive." My face must have revealed my confusion because she said, "Oh, don't mistake my appearance for inability, I'm much much older than you are. Getting bitten by a vampire when you're a child tends to keep one's flesh remarkably...fresh." I was about to ask exactly how old the child-vampire was, but decided that they were important things to attend to. "Where is the Listener?" I asked. The vampire told me, "I'll take you to him. My names Babette, by the way."

Babette lead me through the Sanctuary where I saw an alchemy station, a training room, and a room full of beds. Finally, we came to a room more grand than most. There was a double bed, a personal mannequin, and shelves full of books. It looked like pretty good living conditions, and the Listener himself was hunched over a table full of maps. "Aventus Aretino," Babette said. Aventus turned and noticed me. "Ah!" He exclaimed, "This must be our new addition to the family." I nodded and explained how I came here from the Imperial city, and how Sosa was in prison. "I see," said the Listener. "We'll have to send someone down there." I decided not to tell him about the strange Thalmor operatives. It didn't seem like something the Dark Brotherhood would care about. Aventus asked, "Where did you get that amulet?" I looked down. It wasn't anything special, just an amulet of Akatosh. Several people in Cyrodiil carried them. But then I realized that something was different about it. The two wings on the side were unfurled, making wings. The centerpiece of the amulet was still the same, however, and I never noticed until now.

I looked at the amulet with strange curiosity. When I was in Cyrodiil, I remembered that it was just an ordinary amulet, nothing special. In Skyrim, its was as though a strange transformation took place. Divines, what is this? I wondered to myself. I answered Aventus and told him, "In Cyrodiil, lots of people wear amulets of Akatosh out of honor for our benevolent protector." Aventus Aretino still looked curious, but continued to the next order of business. "Contracts," he said, "there have been so many since the Stormcloaks took charge." Babette explained, "The Dark Brotherhood has never been so busy in all the years I've been with them." "But!" continued the Listener, "you'll want to get started on your first contract. The Night Mother has informed me that an argonian named Siegrain would like to speak with you. She told me he would be waiting in Shor's Stone. Now off with you! Assassins should never keep their client waiting!" Babette escorted me out of the Listener's chamber. "He seems a little...strange," I remarked. "I'm sure he is," Babette said, "having someone speaking inside your head. After a while I'm sure you make a good victim for insanity." I walked past a group of initiates and one of them said, "Hey, Imperial!" I turned. A blond nord with pale white skin was facing me. He had his hood down, revealing his hair, which flowed down onto his shoulders.

"Need something?" I asked. "Yeah I do," said the Nord, "The only Assassin who is better than me is the Listener, so if you think you're going to be better than I am, you're wrong." I pulled down my hood and let him see my eyes. "What is your name?" I asked. "Arctus," he replied, "what's it to you?" "Nothing," I said, "I'm not looking for a fight." And with that I walked away. My father once told me that the best way to deal with those who want conflict is to show no fear and walk away. Granted, life for an assassin is all about conflict, but I preferred avoiding open conflict. That is how true assassins operate. I headed outside the Sanctuary and the cold weather pierced me like a dagger through my gut. I needed to pick up Thogmar from the Windpeak inn. I hoped he hadn't spent all his money on mead. My father also gave me another bit of wisdom. Never challenge a Nord to a drinking contest. Most hard-working citizens of Cyrodiil drank a bottle of ale or two after the long day of work, but Nords could drink tankard upon tankard of spirits. I walked through the frozen streets of Dawnstar on the way to the inn. A woman walked into the city. She must have been a miner, because a pickaxe hung at her side and she was dressed in a dirty white shirt and very dirty trousers. Her boots were barely visible through the thick layer of dust and grime that was covering it. I noticed a strange shimmer behind her. I recognized the spell as invisibility. I drew my bow and notched an arrow, but it was too late. The vampire had already bitten her neck. I could see her eyes change from human to an unnatural golden glow. A whole group of vampires emerged from the snowstorm, as if they had been hiding in it all along.

I fired the arrow. It soared through the air and pierced straight through the heart of the vampire who delivered the bite. I notched another arrow another one, the leader, began barking orders to his followers. I aimed it directly at him, but before I could fire he grabbed the woman and turned into a swarm of bats. The bats carried the woman and as they flew away, I lost track of them in the vicious snowstorm. The vampires broke off into two groups. One retreated back into the wilderness of Skyrim, the other charged into the town looking for blood. I yelled, "Vampires! Help!" But the winds were too violent and the snowstorm seemed to catch my voice and carry it away. The vampires were fast. Before I knew it, I had to draw my sword and start hacking and slashing. One vampire lunged and tried to bite my neck, but one swift motion and her body lay motionless. There were a lot of vampires, however, and they seemed to be toying with what they thought of as prey. I cast a restoration spell that my mother taught me long ago. She was always afraid I would wander into the clutches of danger, so she taught me ward spells and spells that repels undead. I cast a Circle of Protection, preventing most of the vampires from getting close to me. The more powerful vampires stepped forward, allowing me to concentrate on them.

One stepped in close with a dagger, but I kept him at bay with a couple slices from my sword. I drew my dagger, since I was being forced to fight in closer conditions. I still kept my sword in one hand however. My father taught me it was good to have both speed and strength. I jabbed with my dagger and swung my sword but all I could do was keep them at bay. I was getting tired, and the Circle would wear off soon, leaving me vulnerable. Finally the circle collapsed, and I was vulnerable. I was embracing my last few moments alive when my amulet started to glow. It shone like the sun. I could feel the warmth radiating from the amulet. The vampires burned and sizzled, and then they were ash. I fell to my knees and collapsed in front of the inn. My last visions was a man and a woman standing over me. I made out some words "Serana," and "take him to Fort Dawnguard." Then my vision went black.

Nightingale08

Chapter 4

Dreams. No matter where I was or how old I was, I always dreamed of one thing. Dragons. I always thought I would grow up and be a big hero, fighting dragons and saving cities from their vicious fire. But even when I was inducted into the Dark Brotherhood, I still had these dreams. This time I was standing atop the Throat of the World, Tamriel's highest mountain. This was the spot where Dovahkiin and Paathurnax fought off Alduin. Even in Cyrodiil, the tales of Dovahkiin's great triumph were the children's favorite stories. But there was no Alduin, only a golden-bronze dragon. If dragons could look melancholy, then that was what this dragon looked like. He turned to face me and said, "So our father gives you the power of the dov. It seems we were mistaken by thinking he was the last Dovahkiin. Meet me atop this mountain, and I will try to teach you the power of the dov." And with that the dragon flew off into the sky and circled the mountains.

I awoke from my dreams. I tried to rub the sleep out of my eyes. I looked around. I was in a room with multiple beds surrounded by wooden stalls. My stall was closed, and a spare change of clothes lay on the adjacent end table. It looked like the interior of a fort because everything was made of stone. The walls, the floor, everything. I heard distant chatter in the other room. I changed into the clothes and opened the door to the bedroom commons. The woman I saw from Dawnstar was sitting on a chair in front of the fireplace. "Sleep well?" she asked. "Where am I?" I responded. She stood and walked over to me. "Fort Dawnguard. Home of Skyrim's most famous vampire-hunters." Vampire hunters? I thought. "Who are you?" I asked. The woman said, "My name is Serana. What's your name?" "Vitellus," I replied, "the last thing I remember was vampires and then I was-" "Vampires in the Pale?," Serana interrupted, "My father's getting braver and braver." "Your father?" I inquired. She nodded. "Lord Harkon. He's a pure-blooded vampire." "Wouldn't that make you a vampire?" I asked. Serana nodded. "Yes, but not by birth. You see, my family was part of a cult that worshiped Molag Bal, a daedric lord. Our family devoted ourselves in a...degrading ceremony to Molag Bal. After that he gave us 'the gift of vampirism' as my father would put it."

"You don't consider it a gift?" I asked. "No," she explained, "it tore my family apart, made my father into a madman, and forced my mother to go into hiding. The only reason I'm choosing to remain a vampire is because my father is one. And I have to remain ageless if I want to continue fighting against him." "Why did you bring me here?" "Because we need everyone we can get to bring the fight to the vampires. My father has been abducting people and turning them into vampires for the last couple years now. We've had to up our recruitment to remain on the same level of power for them. It's gotten worse since Dovahkiin joined my father." It took me a couple moments to process that statement. "The Dovahkiin?" I asked. She nodded grimly. "He's been keeping the Dawnguard on defensive for about a year now. He's also been terrorizing the nine holds." "I thought he was a hero, just like in the tales where he slays Alduin and saves Skyrim," I said. "He did do all those things, but I think the power got to his head." She sighed. From her reaction I guessed that she might have known him before he went power crazy. "Anyway," she continued, "where did you learn to fight?" I answered, "My father trained me. He wanted me to be a soldier in the Legion, but I didn't want to just follow in his footsteps. I ran away at the age of fifteen. The Dark Brotherhood found me. They recruited me and I just took the anger that was directed at my father at my contracts. I guess it was just a way for me to vent myself. But that was thirteen years ago, and to be honest the anger isn't there anymore. I've been killing people for nothing. And now I'm regretting joining the Dark Brotherhood."

"Sounds like we had something in common," Serana said, "we both ran away from home." I sighed and thought about my life now. It wasn't horrible, but the more I thought about the Dark Brotherhood situation, the more I wanted to resign from the assassin life. Being a Dawnguard member sounded like something I could do. Vampires were a threat to everyone, especially if they had the Dragonborn on their side. "So you brought me here to make me a vampire hunter?" I asked. Serana nodded. "I think we've done enough talking for now. Come on, Minerva wants to talk with you." "Minerva?" "The Dawnguard's leader. Her father, Isran reformed the modern Dawnguard, but when he passed away she took over." She stood up and walked out into the hall. I followed Serana into the dining area, and I noticed just how hungry I was. I sat down at the bench and ate some bread. I drank a bottle of ale and ate some more. After I was done, Serana led me up to the second floor and into a fancy bedroom. It was obvious that the leader got the fancy bed and his/her own room."Ah," said Minerva, "there you are." She was a redguard, dressed in Dawnguard armor with a war axe at her side and a crossbow on her back. "Serana and Alan found you in the snow, fighting the vampires," she said. Serana stood at the doorway, while Minerva gave me the situation of the Dawnguard-Vampire war. "I'll tell it to you straight," Minerva told me, "the Dawnguard isn't doing well, and it's because of Dovahkiin. Ever since he joined the Volkihar vampires, he's been putting us under massive pressure. And he's been abducting vampires for Harkon. Morale is low. We haven't had a single decisive victory since the Battle of Riften, and that was three years ago." "Battle of Riften?" I questioned. Minerva sighed and said, "We lost a lot of good men in that fight. Dovahkiin rampaged the town in Vampire Lord form. It took all our might plus the town guard to drive him out of the city, and then we had to spend a month recruiting more men and enforcing Riften again."

"Basically," summed up Serana, "we need more men and resources if we're to keep up the fight against my father and Dovahkiin." The thought should have discouraged me. Fighting the Dovahkiin? I thought, How could anyone defeat him, let alone kill him? But something drove me to help the Dawnguard, to help the citizens of Skyrim. It seemed to be a faint voice in the back of my head. No Dovah should ever back down from a challenge, it said. I took a deep breath and said to Minerva, "How can I help?" Minerva studied me like a wolf deciding to raise or desert a pup. She said, "We need to send some people into Riften to check on the Dawnguard present in the city. You, Serana, and Arnskar will take the carriage into the city and assist them in whatever they need help with. But before you go, take this." She grabbed a crossbow and shoved it into my hands. The redguard also handed me a quiver full of steel bolts. "And for what it's worth, welcome to the Dawnguard."

Nightingale08

Chapter 5

Akavir shone in the moonlight. Serana had persuaded us to travel during nighttime. Arnskar didn't like the thought. He said it would make us more vulnerable to vampire attacks. "I know," she pleaded, "but I can concentrate better without my blood boiling." Arnskar sighed, knowing nothing he could do could dissuade Serana from letting this matter go. "Fine," he relented, "we leave seven. It will take us about an hour by carriage to get to Riften." I nodded and walked inside the fort. Before we left, I got acquainted with my fellow Dawnguard members. There was Agmaer, one of the people who signed on fifty years ago. e used to be in the front lines, but now he was too old, and acted as an advisor. Beleval, who was also here fifty years ago. She was a bosmer, meaning she could live longer than any human. Anne, a nord who signed on less than a month ago. "I still have a long way to go compared to Minerva or Beleval," she said, "but I can still kill a vampire." I met Bjord, a hardy nord who worked the forge. He gave me a free set of Dawnguard armor and a war axe. "Thanks, but I'll stick with Akavir," I said while i was returning the axe. I was thankful for the Dawnguard armor, however. Even though they seemed like a good bunch of folks, I could see what Minerva was talking about with morale being low.

I sat along the bumpy road and admired the Skyrim scenery. In Cyrodiil, tales of werewolves and werebears intrigued me. Now I wondered if they really did turn into a beast when the moon shone. I suppose if vampires and Dovahkiin were true, why not werewolves? Riften popped into view. It was a silhouette in the night, but Arnskar seemed surprised to not run into any vampires. "Usually they jump at the chance to feed," said the Nord. " Are you saying I'm cattle?" I asked. Serana chuckled and scolded us both like a mother to her children, "Now, now boys. We're here to check on our friends, save the fighting for the vampires." Judging from the position of the moon, it seemed to be about eight o' clock. Arnskar had judged right. I looked up at the walls. Town guards and Dawnguard soldiers alike dotted the walls. It seemed okay to me, but Arnskar said, "Come on, the guy we want is in the Bee and the Barb." He held the door open for Serana and I. As soon as we passed through the doorway, I could feel the chill of the Skyrim air pass and we entered the warmth only an inn could possess. Another man wearing Dawnguard armor sat at a table near the door. "Wait here and keep watch," said Arnskar. Him and Serana sat down at the table. Unsure of what to do with myself, I leaned on a wall opposite of the table the Dawnguard members sat at.

"Fancy yourself a vampire hunter, now?" said a voice. I whirled around, and found a familiar face. It was a dark elf, the same one who accompanied me into Skyrim. Sosa now stood next to me, wearing her Dark Brotherhood armor. Her twin daggers hung at her sides as usual. I had ditched my Dark Brotherhood armor and now wore Dawnguard armor. "Yes, I do," I told her. She laughed like I was joking with her. "Come on, Vitellus, lets head back to the sanctuary and forget this Dawnguard thing," she said. I knew it was only a matter of time before I left the Brotherhood, but Sosa had been my friend since I joined up. "Sosa," I began, "I know the Dark Brotherhood has been my life since I joined, but now I'm done killing. I want to help people, not murder them for money." Sosa clenched her fist. "How could you leave us?" I didn't have an answer. Only silence. True, the Dark Brotherhood had been my life for thirteen years, but now I was passed that stage of my life. I wanted to help the citizens of Skyrim. However, something saved me from being gutted with her daggers. A man burst into the inn, yelling, "Dragon! There's a Dragon outside!"

Nightingale08

Chapter 6

The Dragon circled the city, but made no attempt to fight the people or burn down Riften. At first it seemed to fly off into the darkness of the night, then it burst out of the dark and flew right over the city. "Bormah!" it shouted. "Father," I said aloud. Serana looked at me. "Did you say something?" she asked. "I...don't know where that came from," I replied. I looked up at the dragon. It circled the town, saying more words in its language. Father, I can sense your presence, the beast said, certainly there isn't another Dovahkiin? I stepped out into the open, and the flying reptile seemed to recognize me or the first time. I could feel its beady eyes piercing through the thickness of the night and into my very soul. Then the Dragon did what every citizen feared it would do. It attacked Riften, sending a breath of searing hot flames into the town. I barely had the time to raise a ward and deflect the Dragon's magic. Many of the citizens ran inside their homes for protection, but the guards drew their bows and loaded arrows.

I pulled out my crossbow and loaded in the steel bolts that Minerva had given me. I never got the chance to use the crossbow before we left, but might as well learn how. I aimed and held my breath. The winged lizard soared around town but came to a hover, giving the guards and Dawnguard soldiers a clear shot. I let the bolt fly as the dragon breathed more flames, but in a small compact ball this time, not a continuous stream of fire. It exploded on impact, killing a guard. I noticed it was speaking as it let the breath out. Yol Toor Shul, Fire-Inferno-Sun. The words were definitely in some other language. I had never heard it before, but I could somehow translate it. Like my mind automatically translated the words. I didn't have time to think about it now. The Dragon flew right over the Bee and the Barb, unaffected by the guard's arrows and crossbows. Serana fired an ice spike into the air. "None of this is working!" she exclaimed in frustration. The Dragon finally landed on top of the city's keep. "I have a plan," I said to Serana, "but we need to get out of the city and into the open air." She nodded and shot lightning at the Dragon. It roared in pain, then looked at Serana and I. We raced for the main gate and pushed it open. As the two of us exited Riften, I shut the gate just in time to block the Dragon's fire breath.

"Now what?" Serana asked. I was unsure about the next phase of my plan. I was going to have to do something I hadn't tried for a long time. The Dragon ascended from the city and came to attack us. As I expected, it was focused on us. As it tried to use more flames, I kept using wards to block the magic. We hid underneath the trees, out of the dragon's sight. It could still sense us, but eventually it would have to land to try and fight us up close and personal. I crouched as the Dragon circled the land. It finally landed, searching for its quarry. Serana came out from behind her tree. She shot ice spikes and lightning bolts at the Dragon. The worm turned towards her and made attempts to bite at her. I took a deep breath and let three words that I had not spoken for thirteen years come out. MUL QAH DIIV! I shouted. Power surged through my body. A set of ethereal armor had taken form around my Dawnguard armor pieces. I became more Dragon-like, with amplified strength, and a hardened, scaly shell like a Dragon's. The Dragon turned to face me. If a Dragon could show fear, then it did, even if only for a moment. I raised Akavir, and swung it at the great beast. The blade drew blood whereas arrows and magic just deflected off its hide. "Another Dovahkiin!" screamed the Dragon as I stabbed at it with Akavir. The shout had given me the aspect of a Dragon, and I put it to good use. The bloodthirsty creature rasied its head to try to snatch me up in its bloody maw, but as it came down to bite, Akavir flashed in the moonlight and cut into the Dragon's head. The Dragon recoiled in pain, and I seized the oppurtunity to jump on the top of its head. The creature roared and snapped its jaws in annoyance, making it hard for me to balance. I plunged my sword straight through the Dragon's head, then jumped off. The Dovah fell to the ground lifeless.

I dropped to my knees. Many different emotions swelled up inside. Relief, weariness, and most of all confusion. What was the Dragon saying about its Father? Did it just call me Dovahkiin? Serana looked even more stunned than I. "Where? How?" she muttered. I looked down at my arms. The transparent armor had disappeared. Guards, citizens, and Dawnguard members alike had made their way out of the city and surrounded the Dragon's corpse. The scales had begun to burn off, leaving behind a hallow, empty skeleton. Then something else happened. The burnt scales evaporated into the air, but from the skeleton, beams of energy curled out towards me. I backed up in surprise, and so did the people of Riften. The tendrils seemed to dive straight towards me and become absorbed into my skin. The whole city watched as I did what the ancient Nordic legends said was possible. I absorbed the dragon's soul. The voice in the back of my head whispered, You have the soul of a Dovah. In the name of Akatosh, the chief of the eight divines, dispose of the fake Dragonborn. Reclaim the honor that has been lost. You are the new Dovahkiin, and fulfill your duty to Akatosh! I was speechless. "Like the ancient legends," one guard stated, "Dragonborn." "All hail the new Dragonborn! May he save us from the great evil that plagues this land!" The guard bowed down, and the people followed his lead. Even Sosa, who had been on the verge of hostility, grudgingly bent down to her knees. "You need to see the Greybeards," said one guard, "they can hone your skill and guide you on the path of the Dragonborn." I looked at the mountains that surrounded Skyrim. They were big, but none compared to the Throat of the World, where the Greybeards resided. "Then I've got a mountain to climb," I said, "Is there a place where I can get a horse?" The stable hand quickly said, "Y-Yes sir, I'll let have my finest stallion. His name is Fawkes. He's the one with the saddle." I thanked him for his generosity and tried to give him some gold, but he insisted I just take Fawkes. I left him with 100 gold. A tenth of the normal price of gold, but worth it. I saddled up and gave Fawkes an apple. He snorted and gobbled it up. "Wait!" said Serana, "I want to come with you!" I looked at her. "Alright," I said, " come on." The stable hand tried to give her a horse, but she refused. "I don't need a horse," she said, "but thank you for offering." Serana walked. I pet Fawkes on his shoulder and he neighed, as if saying, I'm ready to go, now. I looked at Serana and she nodded encouragingly. I yelled, "Hyah!" and Fawkes galloped at a slow and steady pace. My vampire companion kept up at a jog.

Once the town was out of sight, Serana seemed to disappear from view. I looked back to find that she wasn't there at all. "Whoa!" I said to Fawkes, and the loyal steed stopped. "Serana?" I shouted into the woods. She wasn't there at first, but then she did something that took me completely off guard. I know, I know, I was Dragonborn, nothing should catch me off guard, but Serana still had a couple surprises. A swarm of bats descended from the night sky and materialized into the vampire. She must've seen my face, because she chuckled and said, "You're not the only one with amazing powers, Vitellus. Being a vampire does have certain advantages. Let's keep moving." The she turned into bats and flew into the night sky. The town of Ivarstead was small, much like Riverwood. It was similar to Riverwood because it contained a mill, and a couple of homes. Riverwood was slightly bigger, however. I saw a farmer working his fields, a woman outside of the inn, and a burnt down home on the opposite side of a small river. Overall, Ivarstead seemed like a quiet little town. I dismounted Fawkes and tied him to a wooden stake outside the inn. I gave him a couple apples to keep him happy. As he contently munched on his dinner, Serana and I headed towards the door for some rest and food. The innkeeper saw us and welcomed us with open arms, "Come on in, I've just stoked the flame," he said. I told him that I was on my way to the Greybeards and he asked, "You're a pilgrim, then?" "Of a sort," I replied. "What about you?" he asked Serana. "I'm just a friend," she said, "He wants to climb the 7,000 steps, but I think I'll hang around town while he does." The innkeeper nodded and told her, "Just make sure you stay away from the barrow on the east side of town. They say it's haunted." "I'll keep that in mind," Serana said. "Anyway, we'd like to rent a room for the night," I said. "Sure thing," said the nord, "it's yours for the night. That'll be ten septims. Your room is the one on the right."

I plopped on the bed, exhausted from the fight with the Dragon. Serana stayed awake since vampires didn't need to sleep very often. The beds in the Imperial city never felt this comfortable, even if this bed was a fur carpet and straw. It wasn't high class, but after battling a Dragon, even a hay pile would've been nice. It seemed like only a few seconds, but pretty soon it was morning. Serana shook me awake and said, "Wake up. You've got to go to High Hrothgar." But I turned back over and mumbled, "Just five more minutes, mother." I almost fell back asleep when Serana electrocuted me. I screamed in surprise and fell off the bed. The cobblestone floor was cold, which woke me up even more. "What was that for?!" I nearly yelled. Serana just smiled and told me, "It's daylight outside, which means you get to climb the 7,000 steps." I sighed and mumbled, "Fine, mother." "What did you say?" interrogated Serana. "Nothing!" I said quickly. "Good," she said, "Now march!" I ate breakfast and bought couple bottles of mead to keep me happy. I walked outside to be blasted by the bitter cold of Skyrim. I never liked the cold, but Skyrim made me hate it. I knew a basic flame spell, and I summoned the fire in my hand to keep me warm. I walked to the foot of the great mountain and stared at the giant monstrosity. How anyone could climb something like this was beyond me, but I started the journey.

I'll keep the journey short and simple. It took forever. It was like the trip from Skyrim to Cyrodiil all over again. My feet were aching by the time I got to the top. Spending hours upon hours fighting through saber cats, ice wolves, and a frost troll was one of the worst times of my life. I collapsed when I finally made it to the top of the mountain. The snow beat the ground unrelentingly, but the monastery stood tall in the snowstorm. I almost let myself be buried in the snow, but I stood back up and pushed the heavy door to the monastery open. A man in hooded robes knelt at the center of the room. He had his eyes closed, like he was meditating. "Dragonborn," he said, "stand before me." He stood, revealing an aged face that looked as though he had lived over a century. I walked uncertainly in front of him. "You are Dragonborn. Now I know the reason the Dvines have not taken me. My name is Arngeir. Akatosh has blessed you, child. I can feel his aura around you. But, you are here for training. I'm afraid us Greybeards have grown old and frail, too weak to teach you. We must send you to Paarthurnax immediately. Come." He walked, and I could see his age taking effect on his movement. As we entered the court yard, three more men in hooded robes came out to join us. "Masters Borri, Wulfgar, and Einarth will teach you the three words of power. Lok, Vah, and Koor respectively." Borri whispered Lok, Wulfgar whispered Vah, and Einarth whispered Koor. The words of power embedded themselves into the stone. I walked up to each of them and read them. They seemed to flow out into me, reaching as if wanting to be read. Suddenly they made sense. Sky, Spring, and Summer. "I will now gift to you the understanding of the three words of power." Arngeir did a slight bow and gave me the knowledge. It was much like absorbing a Dragon's soul, but less intense. Suddenly I had the power to shout these words. But I remembered something strange. Thirteen years ago, I used the "Dragon Aspect"(as Arngeir had called it) shout to defeat a city's guards while I was in Elsweyr. But I had never encountered any Dragons, let alone defeated and absorbed their souls. I never had even dreamed I would encounter a real life Dragon. But here I was, following in the footsteps of the now power-crazy legend, Dovahkiin.

Nightingale08

Chapter 7

LOK VAH KOOR! The words echoed from off the mountain tops, pushing against the cloud barrier that violently guarded the path to the Throat of the World. The Greybeards bid me good luck, and headed back inside the monastery. I walked along the mountain path. Occasionally I would run into a goat, which would scamper along the mountain path as it tried to keep its distance between the two of us. It wasn't long before I came across another cloud barrier. I shouted once again, and the clouds parted. I thought about why Serana hadn't come, she was a skilled fighter and surprisingly good company. But then I remembered that she accompanied the last Dragonborn on his way up to High Hrothgar. Maybe the memories were too painful, maybe she thought I would turn out the same as him. A third cloud barrier blocked my path. I used the Thu'um once more, and dispelled the violent clouds that blocked the trail to the Throat of the World. Finally the path was clear, and I proceeded to the summit of the highest mountain in Tamriel.

I looked for Paarthurnax, expecting him to be an old man in hooded robes, meditating in the snow-covered mountain. I saw nothing at first, but then a dragon swooped down from the sky and landed in front of me. As he landed, he shook the ground, which made me stagger. I was about to draw Akavir, but something told me not to. "Drem yol lok," he said, "greetings. I am Paarthurnax, you are Dovahkiin, yes?" It took me a moment to snap out of my shock. "I wasn't expecting you to be a dragon," I said to him. "Indeed," he said, "neither did the last one. I have been waiting here, for people such as yourself to train in the Way of the Voice. But I fear the last Dovahkiin has fallen into the same trap as my older brother, Alduin." "Wait, wait, Alduin was your older brother?" I asked. "Yes he was," said Paarthurnax, "Akatosh's finest creation, the most powerful of our kind. The first-born, if you will. Until the previous Dovahkiin destroyed him. But you have indulged my desire for Tinvaak. Why are you here?" I realized that Paarthurnax was the Dragon who had appeared in my dreams. "You appeared in my dreams," I told the dragon, "telling me to come here. I thought I was having hallucinations, but then a Dragon appeared at Riften, and I absorbed his soul." Paarthurnax remained silent throughout my short story. "Ah, Vulagsul could never control his pahlok, his arrogance. He was one of the lesser Dov. A child among our kind. Most Dov will be happy to see him vanquished." I was grateful for Paarthurnax's translations, but somehow the words' english meaning just popped into my head whenever he said them. Father guide us in our path, for the enemy we face is more powerful than any dov, Paarthurnax said. He sounded normal, but something was different between the words now and the previous words. Wait, I replied, when I killed that dragon back there, he was saying something about Father. I once read in a book that dragons revere Akatosh as their Father. Is this true?

Paarthurnax looked mildly surprised. "You speak Dovah?" asked Paarthurnax. "I-" I paused, "I did?" "Yes," said the dragon, "You are more like a Dovah than the last Dovahkiin. The question is, why?" I didn't have an answer. I thought about how I could shout without training or without any dragon souls. It was unclear to me. Paarthurnax observed me. "I can see it now," he said, "the last Dovahkiin to come to me was granted the power by a daedric lord. But you have been given the sossedov from our Father himself. And to answer your previous language, yes we dov honor the being you call Akatosh as our Father, the First Dovah. The first Dovahkiin, Miraak was also given his powers by a daedric being, but you are a true Dovahkiin, a being whose power rivals a dovah." Paarthurnax spoke with a sort of admiration, like he was impressed. "Legends say that a true Dovahkiin does not need to absorb dragon souls to learn new rotmulaage, but they learn through concentration, demonstration, and practice. Dragon souls merely determine how powerful each Thu'um is, further the Dovahkiin's combat prowess, spiritual power, and make learning rotmulaage easier. Let us start with Yol, Fire. Concentrate on my Thu'um, and observe how a dovah breathes fire." YOL TOOR SHUL! Paarthurnax breathed white-hot flames on the adjacent rocks, scorching them with burns and melting the snow right off. I saw how he shouted, and how he burned the rocks until it was hot enough to melt the incoming snowflakes. When the fire receded, Paarthurnax looked at me and ordered, "now breath like a dovah. I will determine if you need guidance or not." I nodded and closed my eyes. I concentrated, felt the power brimming inside of me, the flames of a dragon building inside my very soul.

YOL! I shouted. A wave of flames erupted from my mouth, nearly making me fall back into the snow. "Good," said Paarthurnax, "Now try the second word: Toor-Inferno in your language." I took a deep breath, recollected myself, and concentrated once more. YOL TOOR! The fire lashed out once more, but much more ferocious, and covered a bit more distance than the last shout. "As you can see," Paarthurnax spoke up again, "with each word, your Thu'um will be more powerful, but takes more time to recover from. Take your time, meditate on the word. For a Dov to truly unleash the power of the Thu'um, they must first understand the words being spoken. Otherwise they would be like a child wielding what Joorre call 'great swords'." I imagined the Greybeards sitting on the floor of the monastery, where they meditated on words and followed the Way of the Voice. Paarthurnax shouted into the sky. Currently, he was the eldest dovah. His Thu'um was respected, and no dovah dared to challenge him. Even the previous Dovahkiin had let him sit on top of the mountain for this long while he played terrorist to the people of Skyrim. Fire, I thought, one of the most basic, yet one of the most destructive powers on Nirn. Three words per shout, three different levels of destruction. I stood, ready to attempt the full shout of Fire Breath. Paarthurnax watched me, and I felt like an infant taking his first steps. YOL TOOR SHUL! The words blazed across the snow, sizzling against the cold air.

"Well done," said the Dov. Hours passed, and soon it was nighttime. Paarthurnax had taught me multiple shouts. Unrelenting Force, Frost Breath, Become Ethereal, Whirlwind Sprint, Disarm, and a new shout called "Dragon Wing." Paarthurnax gave me some information about this shout. "It will only be available for use once a day, much like Dragon aspect. Plus, it can only be used while Dragon Aspect is active. When this shout is used, you will be able to take flight like a Dovah. Only a powerful Dovahkiin whose connection to Akatosh is strong will be able to successfully use this shout. In my lifetime, I have only seen one other Dovahkiin use this shout, before his name was wiped from the legends and struck from the records." I collapsed in the snow, drained of energy. I didn't think that hours of using the Thu'um could make one so tired. "If you are tired, then you are training well," Paarthurnax told me, "Your Thu'um will be sharper than any blade." I dozed off in the snow, too lethargic to make the journey down to High Hrothgar. I only managed to get a few hours of sleep before a familiar face shook me awake. "Wake up!" yelled Serana, "Come on, you've got to wake up!" My eyes flung open. My reflexes kicked in, summoning a flame cloak spell, mildly burning Serana. "Ah, dammit! Take it easy," she scolded. I brushed off the layer of snow while Serana nursed her burn. "How did you get here?" I inquired. "There's no time! He's attacked Falkreath!" Serana shouted. Paarthurnax interrupted, "The last Dovahkiin senses your power. This attack is more than just a petty squabble between humans and vampires. it is Dovahkiin against Dovahkiin. May Akatosh guide you in your fight, and return here when the battle is over."

Serana yelled, "There's not time to walk all the way down! We've got to jump!" Easy for her. She just turned into bats and descended into the night. I stopped at the edge, backed up a little, then sprinted at full speed towards the edge. FEIM ZII GRON! I shouted as I leaped off the highest mountain in Tamriel. The three words turned me into a spirit, which would protect my body from harm. I only hoped that the shout would last long enough for me to survive. The wind slapped my face, which should have stung me like a swarm of angry bees, but I felt no pain or cold. The ground came faster than I expected. I landed on my knees, not even a scratch on me or the ground. Then the shout's effects disappeared, and I was a human once again. I couldn't help but admire how long I had just fallen. The cloud of bats reappeared from the darkness and formed into Serana. "That was...incredible," she said. A Dragon's roar echoed in the night, in the direction of Falkreath. One look at Serana, and we took off sprinting. She refrained from bat form in order to preserve her magicka for the battle ahead. I didn't keep track of time, the world around me seemed like a blur. All I was focused on was getting to Falkreath. Soone enough, the small town was in sight. The buildings were left mostly untouched, but the Town guard had been completely wiped out. An injured Stormcloak lay in the cobblestone. I ran up to him. "Tell me what happened," I ordered. "He-" the soldier coughed blood on his armor, "He took us by surprise, flew in on a Dragon. Froze everything over. Most of us didn't even fire an arrow." He hacked up more blood, staining the blue Stormcloak colors with a scarlet red. The he lay back and exhaled, breathing his last breath. A Stormcloak shouted, "You two! Get down, he's coming back!" I recognized the voice. "Thogmar?" I asked. "Vitellus!" he exclaimed. "I hate to interrupt the reunion, but we've got trouble," Serana piped up.

The Dragon was red, but a lighter color than the Stormcloak's blood. He soared directly above our heads, shaking the pine trees and knocking loose more than a few pine needles. The red monster circled and landed, revealing that the beast was controlled by a man. Clad in a demonic red and black armor, he dismounted the Dragon. "So Paarthurnax thinks that you might be a Dovahkiin," said the demonic man. I recalled some stories about Daedric Armor, the armor the man before me was wearing now. The stories said that only men who had extreme skills in crafting weapons and armor and knowledge of Oblivion could craft such an abomination. "You," Serana glared at him like he was as horrible as the daedra he served, "how could you do this to the people of Skyrim? Doing such a deed like slaying the World-Eater and saving Skyrim then turning your back on her people?" Thogmar joined in. "I can't believe they speak of you with honor. Slaughtering innocents, worshiping daedra, your as evil as Alduin himself!" The once proud hero remained silent, then laughed a cold, cruel laugh, "Fools. You have no idea how much I have surpassed Alduin. His soul was not even worthy of absorbing. There is no such thing as good or evil. Only the strong, and the weak." Even underneath his helm, I could see his sinister gaze pierce through me. "Dragonblood is said to be a gift from Akatosh. Only the dim-witted believe these false stories. Power is rewarded through the Daedra, and the Daedra alone!" He turned to the Dragon next to him. "Odahviing!" He spoke in Dovah, "destroy the vampire and the mortal! I will handle the false Dovahkiin!" Then the Dragon shouted, FUS RO DAH! blowing back Serana and Thogmar. The Daedric-clad man raised a wall of ice between us and my friends. "Afraid, Dragonborn?" he mocked.