What do you remember of your first time?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
For me, it was utter confusion. I am not sure why, but I somehow started the game with no HUD. As a result I had no idea where I was supposed to go, and sent almost two hours wandering around before I accidentally entered the keep. Even then, it was over a week before I discovered I could turn on the quest arrow and know which direction I was going.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I remember going into Bleak Falls Barrow....the lights were low....only a couple torches provided a romantic glow on the studly bandits. A fresh kill was roasting on the fire, wine was poured...I gently snuck up on the handsome burly specimen of a Nord, gently ran my hand up his leg....and thrust my dagger into his back.

:D

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
My first time playing skyrim was my first time playing any sort of game like this. So I was a TOTAL noob. I was petrified of that frost troll on the way to the Grey Beards. After dying countless times I finally made it past it only because, for some reason, when it jumped down off its cliff, it ran in the opposite direction, never to be seen again.o_O

Khasrin

Fusozayiit
I tried to walk to Whiterun to speak with the Jarl, walked past it in broad daylight, and ended up in Dawnstar. :rolleyes: I got hold of an iron greatsword at the start of the game and was nearly level 15 by the time I was willing to part with it and use one of the other, better weapons I'd been finding all along. Also, I accidentally Fus Ro Dah'd my husband off a cliff and had to reload :eek: Poor Onmund.

Dr.Madness

Overlord of the Void
I was new to Tamriel (this past year I tried out Oblivion) and my theory was that the further I went from Whiterun, the more powerful the enemies were. I journeyed to Riften because I heard of Marcurio and I wanted a mage follower, I was convinced I was going to my death. All I fought was a frostbite spider. Before I left Whiterun Hulda told me about the College of Winterhold. I was confident about getting there in one piece but EVERYWHERE I went there were Ice Wraiths and the occasional Frost Troll; needless to say the combo of playing on Masterad being a squishy mage did not get me far. I had to resort sprinting the entire way there, evading enemy after enemy, but it was worth it.

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
I remember walking into Whiterun and being amazed at the Morrowind music playing. I skipped Oblivion so I wasn't expecting it at all.

And I had no idea where the paths were, so I tried to get to Ivarstead by going right over the mountains. :'D I'm not even going to talk about how I tried to get to Bleak Falls Barrow...

Wildroses

Skyrim was the first game I played where I had to move the character using keys on a keyboard, and not a mouse. I also first played this game with a teenage boy I've known since his babyhood watching me. I managed to stagger into Helgen Keep somehow, then completely failed to jump into the tower four times. I ran around the base of the building, back up the stairs and fell off again four times. I just found it so hard hit the move forward key and jump key at the same time, so I'd just fall down between the building instead of landing on the second floor in the next building.

Once I eventually managed to jump into the building. Then I had to move around. Teenage boy spoke the following monologue: "Left Rose. Left. Left! You're going right, Rose! You're going to walk into that wall Rose. Stop. Stop! Rose, why are you going that way? You're supposed to be following Hadvar. Just follow the arrow Rose. The white one above Hadvar. You do know you're supposed to be following the arrow, right Rose? You still need to turn left Rose. You're not very good at RPGs, are you Rose."

When I was making my way underground, I swear, he actually put his head on the desk and kept it there for a minute. When I asked if it was contempt he said: "No. Pity."

I was playing Skyrim for about four months before I realised it was possible for my character to keep walking if I just pressed the 'c' key. I'd been continuously pressing the 'w' key whenever I wanted to walk long distances. My index finger got really sore after extended play sessions.

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I remember actually dying before I got into the tower, where you are supposed to follow Ralof. :oops:

Then, I kind of got the hang of the game, right up until I got squashed by the first dragon, because my archery was so bad that my arrows were not even hitting him. After that, I found this place, because I was absolutely lost.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
"Oh I bet something will happen before he loses his head..."
Stormcloak's head gets cut off.
"Holy plops.. Imperials aren't fluffing around this time."

I would always make fun of them since Oblivion with their Stop right there criminal scum. Opening scene of Skyrim shut me up.

Sean

lost somewhere
After playing Morrowind and Olivion, it wasn't too different for me.
The only thing that I really did that I didn't like was following Ralof because I didn't see Hadvar, but still sided with the Empire.

AS88

Staff member
Skyrim was my first RPG, and the only thing I had to go on was the trailer that'd been on TV. I was hopeless with the controls and spent about half an hour trying to give my white Redguard a Nordic name for some reason, before making an absolute mess of my character by trying everything (2h, 1h, archery, destruction, heavy and light armour, etc). It was awesome though, and I'll never forget my first time, even if I did make a bit of a mess of it. Second try was much better though :p

Also, I remember attacking a Whiterun Guard at roughly level 3 or 4. Safe to say I got absolutely trashed. From that point on I respected the fact that this game wasn't going to be easy, but that's why I love it.

jarif

I was like holy plops, this is the best game ever (I never played a TES game before Skyrim)
I remember in helgen and i was asked to kill a bear, there was a kill cam and i was amazed, ''This is awesome game''. Guess where the arrow landed? The bears butt. Slow motion killcam, steadily following the camera, the arrow only for it too land in a bears butt.
I remember when I first came to riverwood, and I killed a chicken, the whole town, and I mean literally everyone came at me with swords, arrows, everything so I left riverwood to whiterun and I was absolutely lost where I was going. ''How big is this game???''
Somehow i managed to end up near whiterun atleast then freaking arrows kept shooting, only to realize it was guards. I was suprised you could get arrested in the game, I escaped prison and stole everything, *middle finger*. I came out Whiterun only to have Bounty guards sent to kill me, I was like YOUR HERE TO KILL ME FOR KILLING A CHICKEN??? I was absolutely kept my ass kicked and I was crying, why me?? No one is helping. I also remember kept getting by bears.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Running through Helgen in a crouched position and first person with my weapon drawn because I didn't know how the controller worked. It probably took me 3 days to figure 'em out. Can you imagine wandering about Skyrim in a constant crouch with your weapons drawn? No wonder the NPCs were giving me attitude.

Annageckos

I hadn't played these types of games before. I knew there were dragons and that is why I wanted to try it. So the first time I am on the chopping block and then Alduin is roaring and shooting fire everywhere. The remote (ps3) is shaking, so I do the only thing I can think of. I throw the remote at my boyfriend and yell 'you do it!'. I watched him play for about a week before getting the nerve to try it myself. It's now over 600 hours later and I am still playing and finding new things.

AS88

Staff member
I deleted at least 3 saves because the camera was zooming too close to my character after 20 or so levels. I thought it was a bug for days, and it wasn't until my girlfriend read the instruction book that I realised I'd been doing it myself and could actually control the zoom.. :oops:

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
I've played Fallout before, but never TES. So when I cracked open Skyrim and loaded it up (my friends badgered me endlessly to buy it) and started playing, I almost expected it to look like Fallout (same graphics engine, y'know), but boy was I wrong. I was dumbfounded by the graphics of the game straight from when I was sitting in the carriage with three random dudes. First thing I did was fumble through the menus for 10 minutes trying to turn the subtitles on, because I love my subtitles. I made a huge botch of the character creation, accidentally naming my stupid-looking Imperial "Prisoner". From then on, it wasn't too bad, considering I've played RPGs before.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I remember seeing a plate on the ground and the message, "pick up plate" and I thought, "Am I supposed to do that? Is that plate part of the game? I better pick it up". I remember getting my ass kicked by a chaurus to the point where I fled the cave. I got in trouble in Whiterun and was surrounded by murderous guards. I didn't know you could save on your own or reload. I just spent about 20 deaths escaping and then running. Then I thought I could never go back because I would have to pay $6k in fines, and I didn't want to part with the $6k.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
For me, it was utter confusion. I am not sure why, but I somehow started the game with no HUD. As a result I had no idea where I was supposed to go, and sent almost two hours wandering around before I accidentally entered the keep. Even then, it was over a week before I discovered I could turn on the quest arrow and know which direction I was going.

ha! I did that too.

HenkZ

I was so nervous, the "first time". It was 11 years ago, and she was very gently, taking the first initiative...oh, you meant Skyrim? ;P

The "first time" in Skyrim, was all about impressions of the surroundings. I remember panicking, when running away from the dragonattack. Took awhile to get used to the controlls and it took about 200hrs, before i knew about the "favourite"-shortcuts, thinking it was a PC related function.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts