New to Skyrim - Having a very rough time

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

I'm New to Skyrim - Level 6 wood Elf...And I gotta say I'm having a very tough time. Just trying to play
and get thru the given missions...I'm playing with a follower now (Lydia). Together we seem to defeat the lesser enemies in the wilderness, pretty well...But then there are some enemies we get decimated by. And can't even get to the destination...And the mission enemies are tough as hell...

For instance, I just completed The: "Kill The Halted Stream Captain" mission...That was tougher than a Mother****er! It almost seems like most enemies in the game are over leveled for us...And a very tough game to play! Somehow, I think it's just me, that i'm doing something wrong...Does it get easier when you get to higher levels? Or is Skyrim just a very hard game to play ?

Mithro'I

Skyrim tends to be a bit harder at lower levels, but overall its a rather casual game.
Generally, the environment levels with you.
Do you have any experience with previous elder scrolls games? It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you feel comfortable with the style you'll have no problems at all.
Just a few general ideas, since you didn't give much info on what exactly creates problems for you: You might not want to just run up to a group of mobs and start whacking them without any further action and or game plan as to how to fight them, counter their abilities, and so on. Heal yourself, make use of alchemy, use power attacks, target enemies with high damage output first, use crowd control, abuse your follower as a tank, exploit terrain and structures, kite enemies if you must, just generally try to think about what youre doing, and how you could use things to your advantage. Oil on the floor? Lure enemies into it and set it on fire. Make them run into traps (that you were wise enough not to set off yourself). Use shouts wisely. Make use of all your abilities if you have to (or only those that you want your character to use).

If you have more details about what specific problems you have, people can certainly provide more specific help.

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
The most basic question would be to ask what difficulty you are on. Depending on the difficulty, that could be causing the trouble.

Skyrim doesn't really have any over leveled enemies. It all depends primarily on:

1. Your play style. (Bum rushing, sneaking around, avoiding, ect.)
2. Your weapons. (Do you use a bow, hammer, sword, ect.)
3. Your skill performance. (Analyzing, patience, weapon usage, ect.)

These factors attribute to your difficulty. As well as preparation. It's not to wise to take on a bandit camp while ill equipped. Always bring potions and supplies for a fight. Numbers can overwhelm, even during your later levels.

Armor rating is another thing you should look at. What kind of armor do you wear? Is it sufficient enough? Heavy armor is usually recommended early on because you don't get higher light armor stats until later. Armor plays a key factor in this game. If you go against a bandit captain who has steel armor against your leather, you're going to be at a disadvantage. Add that with any other things that might be wrong and you won't last long.

Weapons are important too. Two-handers do more damage, but are slower. One-handed weapons are weaker but faster. Take your time to both find a weapon you both like and would be effective against enemies. Iron weapons are strong, but I'd rather take the time to take extra simple jobs and buy a steel weapon.

Do not rush through quests either. They can wait. Perpetration is first. Before you do a quest, make sure you have everything you need. Weapons, potions, arrows, sufficient armor, and followers/friends. Also food if you're into that.

But yeah, that's all I got. Just make sure to scout ahead before you walk into something fatal.

Hint: Sneak attacking with a bow does extra damage, and do not be afraid to run away from something you can't win. Skyrim has a little level system. If you discover a bandit camp and run away, those bandits will be locked on the level that you first ran into them with.
So you can come back later when you are a higher level and decimate them. And make sure that if you have a follower, that they are just as equipped as you.

Good luck and long live the Empire.
:p

Writes-Many-Posts

Champion of Grottos and Gremlins
If you are level 6, it means you already have 5 perks. Those can be extremelly helpful, even in small numbers, if used correctly. (I got to level 70 before realizing those existed T.T, and everything seemed a huge challenge)

Also, there is Difficulty in the settings menu, but that isn't very immersive so you might dislike it.

Enchanting and alchemy can really help you chew down any foe without much difficulty, but it takes a while to get alchemy ingredients.

If you find yourself dying a lot you can always put more points in Health than Magicka or Stamina early. There is really not much to encumber you when it comes to weight, and beginner spells don't cost that much mana (and even if you do run out of those you can always drink those potions you found in Helgen)

Against melee enemies, blocking can also be useful if you want to mitigate some damage from your enemies. Taking cover regularly saves you from some arrows or bolts fired by your enemies. On first playthroughs, you might want to be a bit good at everything, to learn how it works. Make use of these little advantages you can have. Dual wield to finish off opponents faster, block to last longer, switch to spells to avoid being weakened by the lack of stamina, kite your enemies with a bow before they reach you (favorites help when changing equipment a lot) and don't forget to use your power to turn animals to your side to kill pesky bandits.

Then you also have poisons, traps and illusion spells, but your character might not have much access to that yet.

Hope to have helped you and, by the way, glad to have you around these forums! :D

General Charles Xander

Oh yes that's right. Welcome to the forums. I hope to see you around and talk some time. :)

Welcome to Skyrim! After looking at the suggestions already given, I will just offer the following.

Check the level of difficulty you are playing. If it is above Novice, you might scale back for a while.

In Halted Stream (spoiler)

When you get to the main chamber, use a bow to hit the oil lamp in the ceiling; it will set fire to the oil on the floor and often take out some of the bandits. If in doubt, run away and return later.

Black Orchid

Death Incarnate
Welcome to the forum, Radia, and don't feel discouraged; I've been playing for a while now and there are still enemies that use my characters as piñatas no matter how powerful I make them.

In addition to using a follower, consider using conjured critters to keep your enemies busy while you plink away at them from afar or stab them in the back when they're not looking. This can be accomplished with either Conjuration spells or various staves of summoning.

Reactions: Sah

Radia964

I'm New to Skyrim - Level 6 wood Elf...And I gotta say I'm having a very tough time. Just trying to play
and get thru the given missions...I'm playing with a follower now (Lydia). Together we seem to defeat the lesser enemies in the wilderness, pretty well...But then there are some enemies we get decimated by. And can't even get to the destination...And the mission enemies are tough as hell...

For instance, I just completed The: "Kill The Halted Stream Captain" mission...That was tougher than a Mother****er! It almost seems like most enemies in the game are over leveled for us...And a very tough game to play! Somehow, I think it's just me, that i'm doing something wrong...Does it get easier when you get to higher levels? Or is Skyrim just a very hard game to play ?
Skyrim tends to be a bit harder at lower levels, but overall its a rather casual game.
Do you have any experience with previous elder scrolls games? It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you feel comfortable with the style you'll have no problems at all.
Just a few general ideas, since you didn't give much info on what exactly creates problems for you: You might not want to just run up to a group of mobs and start whacking them without any further action and or game plan as to how to fight them, counter their abilities, and so on. Heal yourself, make use of alchemy, use power attacks, target enemies with high damage output first, use crowd control, abuse your follower as a tank, exploit terrain and structures, kite enemies if you must, just generally try to think about what youre doing, and how you could use things to your advantage. Oil on the floor? Lure enemies into it and set it on fire. Make them run into traps (that you were wise enough not to set off yourself). Use shouts wisely. Make use of all your abilities if you have to (or only those that you want your character to use).

If you have more details about what specific problems you have, people can certainly provide more specific help.

Thanks alot for all the replies...All were helpful!
First off, I think I'm on Novice. I gotta check be sure. Secondly I'm old, compared to everyone here. I'm 45.
(And don't start with the old man joke's)

No, I don't have any experience with Elder Scrolls games...But, I really like the concept and ancient theme of this game.
And I think You an General Charles nailed my problem...I think I'm bumrushing too much with offense.
Because I'm pushing right trigger, fast and most of the time. Trying to swing the weapon in my hand as fast as I can.
I guess I'm trying to force more of a "blow for blow" type style...Realizing that dosen't fare well on the main mission enemies.
Then I thought more on blocking, using your shield (defense). Realizing you probably have to use good timing with your blocks. to not get smashed. So you can counter quickly off your blocks.

For equipment - Armor - I have Imperial studded armor (Average I would say) Because I accidentally sold the Steel armor. (Imbasil newbie mistake)

Weapons - I have one good - one-handed enchanted battle ax. My best two handed weapon - An enchanted Greatsword of Cold. (I'm actually a little better with the two-handed weapons).

I know how to use Magicka, but I don't have any real good powers yet at level 6.
and I know about perks

Overall, I think I have to practice blocking (defense) just as much as offense, on lesser enemies. To get Better.
Is this right?

Also, who can recommend the best armor, I should try to get for my low-level- 6
and/or any defensive upgrade I should try and get ? .....Thanks

Radia964

Welcome to the forum, Radia, and don't feel discouraged; I've been playing for a while now and there are still enemies that use my characters as piñatas no matter how powerful I make them.

In addition to using a follower, consider using conjured critters to keep your enemies busy while you plink away at them from afar or stab them in the back when they're not looking. This can be accomplished with either Conjuration spells or various staves of summoning.

Thanks, good advice! Nice to know I'm not the only Pinata...I'm low-level (6) I know about conjuring/ spells...But I got aways to go before I can be proficient, with conjuring/ spells/ Alchemy. I'm sure I need better defensive technique, and armor. But I forgot about conjuring the critters, thanks for that...

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
I could offer a couple pointers...

Perhaps you have already realized you are charging too quickly into the heat of it. Make use of positioning. Quite often there will be an archer and/or a mage in the company. Do your best to hide from or avoid these attacks while letting the melee types come to you. Alternatively, you can try to take out the archers or mages at a distance before making yourself known. Be prepared with your favourites menu to easily swap out for a shield or whatever you need.

I'd recommend making use of the Healing spell for additional .... healing. If your spell book is missing this one, it'll cost you around 300 to buy it from Dragonsreach.

The shield is definitely a good thing to make use of. Equally as beneficial is the sword bash you can do while blocking. There is timing involved, but as with anything, it takes time to become proficient.

...I thought I'd come up with more than this, but nothing else comes to mind presently... Good luck in your conquest.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
Oh, yes, and your Imperial Armour shouldn't be too hindering. In the first three to five hours of gameplay I'll slowly improve my outfit to accommodate pieces of steel, though, this doesn't always happen so swiftly. Sometimes a purchase at your blacksmith is warranted. It all falls down to how deep your pockets are.

General Charles Xander

First off, I think I'm on Novice. I gotta check be sure. Secondly I'm old, compared to everyone here. I'm 45.

No, I don't have any experience with Elder Scrolls games...But, I really like the concept and ancient theme of this game.
And I think You an General Charles nailed my problem...I think I'm bumrushing too much with offense.
Because I'm pushing right trigger, fast and most of the time. Trying to swing the weapon in my hand as fast as I can.
I guess I'm trying to force more of a "blow for blow" type style...Realizing that dosen't fare well on the main mission enemies.
Then I thought more on blocking, using your shield (defense). Realizing you probably have to use good timing with your blocks. to not get smashed. So you can counter quickly off your blocks.

For equipment - Armor - I have Imperial studded armor (Average I would say) Because I accidentally sold the Steel armor. (Imbasil newbie mistake)

Weapons - I have one good - one-handed enchanted battle ax. My best two handed weapon - An enchanted Greatsword of Cold. (I'm actually a little better with the two-handed weapons).

I know how to use Magicka, but I don't have any real good powers yet at level 6.
and I know about perks

Overall, I think I have to practice blocking (defense) just as much as offense, on lesser enemies. To get Better.
Is this right?

It all depends on what type of armor you fancy, but I will point you to a few places.

Heavy armor:

1. The Bannered Mare Tavern in Whiterun- Beat Uthgerd The Unbrocken in a fistfight and take her somewhere isolated and kill her/have her killed. You may then take her steel plate armor that should protect you incredibly until about level 25 or so.

2. Make your way to Lorgashbur southwest of Riften. Once inside, you have the option to steal a full set of Orcish armor that should last you untill level 30 or so.

3 Riften- In Mistveil Keep, Behind the throne to the room on the left, there is an Elven War Axe on a display rack. Also, If you can sneak upstairs to the Jarl's quarters, there is an Elven Greatsword on a rack as well as full steel armor in a display case that you must lockpick. These options however are marked as steal.

Light armor:

1. Go to the Thalmor Embassy (North of Solitude) once you acquire a strong poison of sorts. While staying out of sight, kill one with your bow. You will get no bounty and they won't attack you if you do it quick enough to where the guard won't signal everyone. You may waltz right in after you pick the front door and retrieve the armor. Depending on luck, it could be Elven or Glass Armor. Elven is recommended as Glass may be to hard early on.

That's all I got so far. If you want more, let me know and I will try to find extra. :)

Mithro'I

Another thing OP:
As long as you're still little make sure not to stretch your abilities and perk points too thin. Pick one or two main combat skills and stick with them for a while. Say you're a warrior for example and use heavy armor, block, and one handed weapons: those are the first and most important perk trees you want to put points into, and you want to make sure you dont level other stuff too much in the beginning if those are your main combat skills. If, say, you decide at level 5 to start leveling enchanting (which wouldn't be a good a idea for other reasons aswell, but just to give an example) you'll quickly gain levels by making things better that wont at first directly contribute to your combat effectiveness. So,
1. Pick main combat skills and stick with them for a while (this includes the type of combat aswell: if you made it to level 6 by smashing things with a 2 handed hammer, suddenly switching to destruction will make you weak)
2: Don't level secondary skills until you have decent experience in your main combat skills.

Reactions: Sah
45 you say? Bah! You are but a whelp, barely weaned. Why, I remember when I was your age you could get a room at the Bannered Mare, eat a good meal, enjoy a few mugs of mead and get change from a septim.
At 72 I could still show you youngsters a thing or two, if I hadn't taken an arrow to the knee a few years back.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
Maybe too early to talk bout playstyle, do what god damn u please, just put novice difficulty, then none should prove any challenge to u, investigate, see what u can find out by yourself, its most entertaining that way. Then when u become more familiar with what each skill tree brings u, you can decide what suits u the best. That is what brings Skyrim charm that is above most of other RPG's. By the time when it all becomes to easy, increase difficulty, and eventually you'll come to expert or master, and when those 2 start feeling like a "normal challenge" not "wtf is wrong with these people strength" then u know you're good. This forum is full of spoils, so be careful which thread u enter. About strategy, the more u increase yer difficulty, the more ull start to think of what are/what should you doing/do, so, no need to rush.
EDITED: Btw, i know a trick for having more characters without causing bugs. It will help u a lot with your skills research. But first, i need to know if you're on PC. Its simple but requires space (time, nerves, however u want it) to explain.

Last edited:

Sah

*massaging Radia's sholders*......you have to slow down....relax...breathe in the scenery.....that's it release the tension...:)

*massaging Radia's lower back*...hmmmm:eek:...there is no time in Skyrim...yes the sun goes up and down....but a quest that should last a day, can be completed 100 levels later! ;)

*looking at Radia* o_O...are you paying attention?...death is your greatest teacher in this game, remember how you die, never be ashamed of it. Remember & don't repeat the same mistake

*massaging Radia's shoulders again*...every one above gave you excellent advise...put the difficulty down...remember no rush in completing quests, don't let the game tell you what to do :cool:

Finished :)......that will be $150 please
:rolleyes:

Maybe too early to talk bout playstyle, do what god damn u please, just put novice difficulty, then none should prove any challenge to u, investigate, see what u can find out by yourself, its most entertaining that way. Then when u become more familiar with what each skill tree brings u, you can decide what suits u the best. That is what brings Skyrim charm that is above most of other RPG's. By the time when it all becomes to easy, increase difficulty, and eventually you'll come to expert or master, and when those 2 start feeling like a "normal challenge" not "wtf is wrong with these people strength" then u know you're good. This forum is full of spoils, so be careful which thread u enter. About strategy, the more u increase yer difficulty, the more ull start to think of what are/what should you doing/do, so, no need to rush.

100% this.

Radia964 - based on your first thread in this forum ( http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/new-to-skyrim-the-best-way-to-start.70192/ ), I get the impression you are trying to rush things with this game. Be patient. The slow progression from 'absolute beginner who gets annihilated by any random bandit on the street' to 'walking god-man who can slay dragons with a few swings of your sword', is all part of the game. As I said in my reply to your first thread linked above, the early parts of the game are (IMO) when it is most immersive. Don't rush it, because it won't last forever, and when you do reach the point where you can make endless iterations of the most powerful weapons and armour in the game and you start complaining that the game has become too easy because no foe is worthy for you... then you will look back on your current experience of the game with fond memories.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Lots of good advice here! Here's my $0.02.

When you first start out, it's good to follow the game's main quest for awhile. It's built in a way that introduces you to everything at a good pace, allowing you to learn the game without putting you into too much danger. Even though enemies do level with you and so you'll never come across one that's technically out of your league, certain dungeons and quests are more difficult than others (e.g. no bandit camp is ever going to be as difficult as a Falmer lair), but sticking to the main quest keeps you on an easier path.

Don't try to do everything all at once. Choose one sort of weapon (one-handed, two-handed, or archery) and stick to it. Choose one sort of armor (heavy or light) and stick to it. That way, all of your skill points are going to that particular skill, instead of being spread thin. For example, if you stick to one-handed, by level 15 you might have a one-handed skill of 40, but if you're switching between one-handed and two-handed, by level 15 you might only have a skill of 25 for each of them.

Concentrate your level-up perks on the more important skills for awhile: your weapon of choice, your armor of choice, and if you're using them, block, sneak, destruction, and/or restoration. Everything else can wait. Enchanting and alchemy, for example, can be really powerful, but not this early in the game; it won't matter if your enchantments give you 6% fire resistance instead of 4%, or if your health potions heal 20 points of health instead of 15.

What it all comes down to, though, is just playing and learning the game. When I first started, I was also brand new to Elder Scrolls and had never played a game like Skyrim before. I played for hours and hours, the totally "wrong" way, and I died a lot. Now? I breeze through the game on master difficulty. The more you play, the better you get. It's really that simple.

Radia964

and I know about perks

Is this right?

It all depends on what type of armor you fancy, but I will point you to a few places.

Heavy armor:

1. The Bannered Mare Tavern in Whiterun- Beat Uthgerd The Unbrocken in a fistfight and take her somewhere isolated and kill her/have her killed. You may then take her steel plate armor that should protect you incredibly until about level 25 or so.

2. Make your way to Lorgashbur southwest of Riften. Once inside, you have the option to steal a full set of Orcish armor that should last you untill level 30 or so.

3 Riften- In Mistveil Keep, Behind the throne to the room on the left, there is an Elven War Axe on a display rack. Also, If you can sneak upstairs to the Jarl's quarters, there is an Elven Greatsword on a rack as well as full steel armor in a display case that you must lockpick. These options however are marked as steal.

Light armor:

1. Go to the Thalmor Embassy (North of Solitude) once you acquire a strong poison of sorts. While staying out of sight, kill one with your bow. You will get no bounty and they won't attack you if you do it quick enough to where the guard won't signal everyone. You may waltz right in after you pick the front door and retrieve the armor. Depending on luck, it could be Elven or Glass Armor. Elven is recommended as Glass may be to hard early on.

That's all I got so far. If you want more, let me know and I will try to find extra. :)

Ace advice! Excellent. (thumbs up) I copy and pasted it in wordpad for later use...Have a mug of mead or Beer:beermug: on Me..And may you have your own castle in Skyrim one day!

Radia964

*massaging Radia's sholders*......you have to slow down....relax...breathe in the scenery.....that's it release the tension...:)

*massaging Radia's lower back*...hmmmm:eek:...there is no time in Skyrim...yes the sun goes up and down....but a quest that should last a day, can be completed 100 levels later! ;)

*looking at Radia* o_O...are you paying attention?...death is your greatest teacher in this game, remember how you die, never be ashamed of it. Remember & don't repeat the same mistake

*massaging Radia's shoulders again*...every one above gave you excellent advise...put the difficulty down...remember no rush in completing quests, don't let the game tell you what to do :cool:

Finished :)......that will be $150 please
:rolleyes:

Lol... your too funny! Totally agree, Excellent advice from Forum clan! Much appreciated...
As well as The massage therapy advice! (thumbs up)
well worth the $150. (dropping money in your jar). Of course will be back for more.;) Happy hunting!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts