Wouldn't it be awesome if you could become jarl?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stagnant94

Yeah, I said that in the previous comment, however I know it was your idea first

xaraan

You know, I would have to say No on this. Not saying it couldn't be an option, but I wouldn't be much for using it.

Being the leader of Thieves Guild, Mage College and Companions is lame enough... you really don't lead anything and it happens too easily for the most part and not much is handled realistically after your the leader. Same thing would happen with Jarl, they wouldn't have enough going on for it to really be anything more than a title with a couple or rewards. I'm an adventurer, I want to be out adventuring and you can't realistically do that running a city.

They should have just made you part of the "inner circle" of those orgs and offered something similar citywise like a room in the castle and knighthood or something in addition to being Thane. Although I guess that's close to the same thing anyhow.

stagnant94

sorry for bringing up this old thread, but with the new DLC coming out and all i was wondering if people would like to see this feature in an upcoming DLC, or in a future game perhaps?

Haru17

Lost Falmer
This would be an awesome mod.

These are some really amazing ideas!

The Dragonborn wouldn't have time to run a city. Unless you want to drive that city to the ground. I guess Bethesda gave us the option to adopt children though, and the Dragonborn is a horrible parent. So I suppose anything is possible. Not to mention the Jarl of Falkreath sucks at his job, so I guess there is a chance.

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
After taking a good look at Jarl Balgruuf the Greater.... It's safe to say that I don't want to become a scumbag politician that slouches all day... even in fact that a dragon is attacking his region. He seems way to busy slouching rather then to investigate the problem himself.

Look at other Jarls like the one in falkreath and Winterhold. They seriously need to be taught a lesson.

Anyhow if you still insist of becoming a Jarl just follow these simple steps, and you're off to become one of the best Jarls in skyrim ;)

Sit_b6b636_2958116.jpg

Mjoll Abuser

Obey me!
No offense, but I play Elder Scroll games to slash people with giant swords, not to build my very own ice cream parlor and petting zoo next to my pink fairy castle.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Nothing better than adding to how immensely important the Dragonborn already is. Listener, Harbinger, Thieves Guild master, Archmage, thane of every hold, why not jarl?

In fact, they could make it so you could become jarl of several holds! And eventually, rise to the throne of high king! And then maybe emperor!

Anything is possible when you're Bethesda.

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
DON'T PREVENT THE RAIDS! The guards haven't had a good one in a long time!

TheDovahkiin

The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls
I did always feel that the games needed a bit more role playing in them by being able to choose a location to build a house or something.
PRAISE HEARTHFIRE AND ALL THE DIVINES!

Haru17

Lost Falmer
Nothing better than adding to how immensely important the Dragonborn already is. Listener, Harbinger, Thieves Guild master, Archmage, thane of every hold, why not jarl?

In fact, they could make it so you could become jarl of several holds! And eventually, rise to the throne of high king! And then maybe emperor!

Anything is possible when you're Bethesda.

Frankly, the last dragonborn emperor sounds about right and has a fair chance of happening.

The Nonchalant Thief

Bunny shall die!
Stagnant, I really enjoy this. I must say that despite some people's difficult posts, you must keep positive and continue with sharing your idea!

What most posters seem to not realize is that this would not ever be a part of Skyrim.. If this was to be implemented into Elder Scrolls, surely it would be in one of the next games. (I vote for Elyswer as ES VI) And in Elyswer, (if that was to be the setting for the next game), the game will be centuries into the future, where our character will NOT be the Dragonborn! (and dragons will probably be truly extinct)

Therefore, along with whatever storyline, this idea of becoming a 'jarl' could be used as a opportunity for our ES6 character to be close to the importance as the 'Dragonborn'.

Coming up with the money to fund such a city/province/village/hold/harem^-^ (whatever you wish to call it) is actually realistic. If the people of your hold were to give you taxes every now and then, as husbands/wives do, then you would be able to slowly-which is surely realistic-build your city from nothing to a loved/feared hold with a brilliant or atrocious reputation.

Also, the matter of leaving your town for an extended time is not very troublesome. I mean, unless your using console, you have to sell some stuff or visit your house to through your 'found' riches into your chest/safe...Where better to go than to your own village and improve the economy of it by investing things of such value? Besides, your second or third-in-command could handle the village as you are away.

My poor in-game hubby, I leave him alone for a couple days. (Surely, many others do the same thing.) And it does not affect gameplay.

So yea ^w^.

-I vote for Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood advisers which lives in your hut/house/mansion/castle....until night time. :D It would be convenient for the TG adviser to be a fence. Perhaps you could hire them from the guild or sanctuary after a certain point of your town's development and your own position in the guilds.... Is there a certain guard doing open-handed deals without giving you a cut of the $$?--Your loyal DB adviser would be ecstatic to take care of her/him. (Wouldn't it be nice to have a DB adviser that reallllyy, in a comedic way, lovves to kill people, and smiles brightly as you ask them to take care of it?) Unique personalities are a must.

-Different available locations?
-(Similar to an idea previously given.) Perhaps you could overtake a rickety village(costs less at beginning) or start from scratch at another location? (you must have the $$$)

Keep confident, Stagnant. :Dragonborn:

Another problem with becoming a Jarl is you HAVE to be a Nord, so only one of my characters would actually be able to enjoy this feature of gameplay while my Argonian, Dark Elf, Khajiit and Breton are all screwed. Unless they decide to just throw all canon out the window just to please people which for some people who are really into the lore will just feel like we were just pooped on instead.

Gowsh

Old Fart
Nothing better than adding to how immensely important the Dragonborn already is. Listener, Harbinger, Thieves Guild master, Archmage, thane of every hold, why not jarl? In fact, they could make it so you could become jarl of several holds! And eventually, rise to the throne of high king!

My first character's stated ambition. :)

And then maybe emperor!

My second character's stated ambition.
Isn't there a vacancy?

I don't understand why people think this Jarl thing would be cool, everyone hated being king in Fable 3, in morrowind you could have your own hold but all it meant was a place to sleep and some npcs you could buy and sell stuff from. Also people say a Jarl wouldn't need to be boring, but Jarls are politicians, they are like state senators, their jobs would prevent them from going out on adventures because they would have to stay in the keep to hear people worries and complaints, settle legal disputes etc etc etc. Sure bethesda could just say "naw go out and adventure" but I like to think that they actually care about thier own lore.