Kathodos: A Return of Exiles

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Docta Corvina

Chapter 13

"I knew we would eventually have this discussion. I just never thought it would be at this point in time."

Castle Dour was newly livened with faces not unknown to it but rarely seen. The morning breeze brought drifting scents of freshly baked bread and smoking meats each time the great door was opened. Hunger gnawed at each of the four in the map room, though Maro and his lieutenant were the two least concerned with hiding their anxiety for breakfast. It was a beautiful sunny morning in Solitude, the winds blowing cool and gentle. Maro and his subordinate had made the short trip from Dragon Bridge just before first light. Their horses were particularly eager to reach their destination as sounds of lingering night creatures groaned and grunted.

Maro was unsure what the present discussion would entail, given the general's brevity in the summons and his characteristic caution with details. He knew it was something quite grave, something requiring a convention of both the Legion's highest ranks in Skyrim and the Penitus Oculatus. It would be news that promised to strike him cold, of that he had little doubt. It was the anticipation, the waiting that he found difficult to bear - that, and an empty stomach.

"Alright, General, you got us. What's going on and what does the Oculatus have to do with it? You know we don't make a habit of crossing paths so plainly."

Impatience and want of food made him greatly restless, triggering him to pace. Tullius of course noticed and found himself little impressed, his voice indicating as much.

"I think you'll find that it's very much worth your while, Commander. That is, if you're still pursuing the Dark Brotherhood."

Maro crossed his arms. "Hmpf. Well, the General need not trouble himself with such matters, we have it all entirely under control. You've got your hands full with this war, leave such peripherals to us."

"I would hardly call it peripheral, Commander. And if I were you, I would mind my tone. We are all bound by the same code, do not pretend that the Oculatus is at liberty to run wild in this province without my knowledge."

Maro abruptly ceased his pacing. "I'm afraid I don't catch your true meaning, General."

"Well, then, allow me to make myself perfectly clear: I have been left in the dark to an unacceptable extent regarding your men's operations here. Recent actions undertaken by the Oculatus have put my Legionnaires in the way of further and far graver harm than you likely realize."

"'Further and graver harm'?" Maro scoffed, "Come now, no need for dramatics, the rebels are your standard fare. But surely you didn't think all of this would be a walk in the park-"

"I am not talking about the rebels, Commander. And I care not at all for your flippancy!"

Tullius' own brown eyes fixed upon those of Maro, alight with expiring patience. He did not like losing even the most miniscule level of control of his normally even temper. But the severity of the situation granted him leeway, just this once. All present needed to be reminded of the significance of the present circumstances. Maro, initially taken aback by the conversation's escalation, found his own frustration.

"With all due respect, General, I am not understanding the real reason why we've been summoned here. It seems as though you wish for me to outline every single operation and plan of attack we have executed, plan to execute or are currently executing. And you know as well as I that the fewer the people who know what we do here, the better. Both Ulfric and the Thalmor have spies cleverly hidden away in every corner of this province. We cannot afford to be too liberal with our information. I doubt that you would find it necessary to inform us of your every strategy for regaining the Holds?"

"Of course not, nor do I expect or demand a thorough report from you on your men's activities here. I am not a fool, nor am I that naive. I thought you would know better than to suspect that. However, I do not find it at all to be an excessive demand to be informed of matters such as your neutralization of the Dark Brotherhood."

Maro blinked and released howling, nervous laughter. Did he really just hear what he thought he had heard?

"Now that's...ahahahaha, that's an excellent joke, sir! To be honest, I didn't think you ever partook of such levity!"

But he hushed himself as he saw the immovable Tullius still staring back at him, as well as Legate Rikke. Their expressions had not changed. There was no sign of smiles or laughter - not even the smallest curl of the lip.

"You're...you're actually serious?!"

"Either your men have undertaken operations without your knowledge or we have someone else out there who has had a clear interest in seeing them destroyed - because they have in fact been neutralized."

Maro just stared, mouth gaping. Though she stood by, Legate Rikke remained quiet and observant. She had already been informed of the news about the assassins' destruction. In fact, she was the one first contacted about the event. It still sincerely surprised her. She honestly never thought she would see the day it would happen - not with such finality. And she listened as Maro eventually overcame his awestruck state and stammered in reply.

"Buh...what!? That's impossible! We...we would have heard, would have gotten word from someone-"

"Our sources are reliable. We have no reason to believe otherwise. News of their demise has reached most taverns in the province already. What strikes me is how shocked you appear to be. I trust it's genuine."

"I assure you, General, it is quite genuine. I can't believe it's happened. It's finished. Remarkable-"

"You must immediately look to your men and your sources, Commander. If this has happened under your nose without you knowing until a summons to Solitude, you have many other causes for concern at this late hour."

"Understood, General. You have my word, there will be a full investigation."

"Indeed." Tullius paused as Maro nodded. He awaited something more, something he knew Maro bore with him. The test was seeing whether or not he would offer it up without encouragement. He had his doubts as the other Imperial only cleared his throat amid the tense silence. Thus the general continued.

"Well, now, I suppose you can return to Cyrodiil at your earliest convenience, as your task is done. I'll personally see to it that preparations are made and your return is secured."

"Pardon? Ah, ah yes. I...I should look to that..." His usually strident voice trailed off to little more than a whisper. His eyes lowered to the floor.

Tullius in turn crossed his arms, the faintest of what may be called a grin sneaking across his face. Maro realized the trap and sighed as Tullius chose not to relent.

"Commander, you know that I know what the other half of your objective has been here since the start. I do not honestly think you should be so surprised, and in any case you were to report to me if you completed any portion of your goal in Skyrim."

"General, you know it's classified, even among ranks as elevated as your own. It is not my doing-"

"Roscius Avienus, Commander."

Maro slammed both hands down upon the map table, disturbing the parchment. "I...I cannot comment on the status of that traitor and exile!"

Rikke's very curious glance darted between the two men and she could not suppress a "Sir?" as she watched her superior suddenly uncross his arms in new determination. Maro just rubbed his forehead in dismay, half-covering his eyes. His lieutenant remained taciturn, not even entirely sure of what he should say.

Tullius also said not a word, but turned to take something from a chest in a far corner of the room. Rikke, Maro and the lieutenant looked on while the general opened the chest and gingerly removed a large heap of red cloth from it. Brows furrowed and eyes squinted to observe. But as the cloth was quickly unfurled and the length of it stretched toward the stone floor, there was an audible and collective gasp in the room. Its design was identical to that found and recovered by the Imperial scouts near Bthalft, featuring the same black dragon with the red and bleeding or weeping eye upon crimson cloth. And it bore the same mysterious initials.

"This was retrieved by Legionnaires stationed outside of Ivarstead quite recently. What do you see?"

Maro's face was washed over with a sickly gray, his dark eyes uncharacteristically wide and his mouth hanging open. His young lieutenant looked on with much more confusion than shock. Rikke's eyes poured over the distorted emblem, searching it.

No one spoke for several seconds after Tullius asked his question, having little ability to articulate their thoughts and subsequent questions. But Legate Rikke was the first to try.

"Sir...the Legion's symbol...what does 'M.I.' stand for?

But it instead was Maro who quickly and meekly answered. "Manes Imperii. It's the banner of the Manes Imperii."

"The...Manes Imperii?" Rikke repeated, unsure.

"Divines pity us." The Penitus Oculatus commander shook his head in sad disbelief. He crossed his arms behind him and walked quietly to the opposite side of the room to face the wall. Rikke watched him move aside so very sorrowfully, in such visible shock. She didn't want to ask what knowledge prompted such a reaction.

"One of the Legion's best-kept secrets. And one of its worst nightmares." Tullius returned to the chest to pluck another object from it. This time it was a book, bound in black leather and with some pages loose. He very carefully handed the tome to the Nord soldier, sighing heavily just before doing so. "Legate, I do believe it's time that you read this."

She opened the book with guarded hands, unsettled by the general's ominous tone and by Maro's retreat to the distant half of the chamber. Even Tullius moved backward in spite of himself as she turned the first page.

"It's...a history book, sir? The Great War?"

Tullius only nodded and gestured for the legate to continue reading on. As her eyes scanned the page, her brows knit more and more tightly. A couple more minutes and two more pages found her staring back at the general in obvious astonishment. No words were uttered by any present. And the painted, ruby eye of the dragon on the spattered banner stared out from the black.

Looking warily from his far corner of the room, Maro swore to himself that for a half-second, the eye seemed to glow.

…………..

Ever since the gruesome discovery near Bthalft and then the letter from Tullius that arrived so swiftly after, Carius had been wide awake. Even now two days later, frequent yawns attested to his underlying fatigue. But he merely shook them off and returned his focus to the matters at hand. Or rather, he tried to do so. He was still very much caught in an odd trance, his eyes exceedingly distant in their stare and his body slumped back in his seat in front of the fire pit. Some of the soldiers had asked why he looked so pensive, so concerned, so shocked, and if he was in need of food and water. He was all of those things and he gladly took the water with quaking hands.

Two days having passed, he was interested in speaking with some of his men about the new developments. He provided hardly any details of course, but rather roundabout questions about rumors and any particularly intriguing gossip regarding the man named Roscius. The mischievous blond recruit, always eager to impress his commander, wasted no time in volunteering the little he had heard. Given that he was a Nord, a young farm boy born and raised near Rorikstead, he had no real context for the utterances he had caught. What he had heard came amid semi-coded discussions between Cyrodiil-born infantrymen, those who had grown up listening to and sharing the tales around fires on especially dark nights. Carius took a drink of water while the recruit spoke.

"I've heard that name before, sir. It...well, I uh...I heard some others talking about him."

With that admission, Carius raised an eyebrow. His sarcastic grin unnerved the youthful Nord, who recalled the day he had been called out by his commanding officer for stealing glances at his letter from a friend.

"Prepping for a career in espionage again are we, Legionnaire Liulfr?" Carius chuckled.

"Oh, no, sir. It wasn't like that. We were all sitting around the fire and they just started talking about it. No sneaking necessary, honest!"

"Mmhm. Well, that's good to hear." He smiled, urging the Nord to continue.

"Well...the men who talked about him were saying something about the Great War and 'the evils of the elves' and how this Roscius guy went mad because of them. And then, they said something about how 'the stories are all true' and we all better 'watch our backs'. I don't know at all who or what they were talking about, but...hopefully that helps?"

"It does...it does, soldier. In this case, I must thank you for your ever-acute ears." Carius winked to the great relief of Liulfr, who promptly saluted.

"My pleasure, sir!"

The Nord watched the Imperial rise from his seat and walk slowly over to the camp's edge. The Praefect stood alone in distant and shifting thoughts, arms crossed. The valley surrounding their position was quite lovely, especially in the morning hours. And he often found himself able to stare off ahead at the horizon, lost in all manner of musings. This morning was one for such quiet contemplation. He sighed.

The name "Roscius Avienus" still bore such resonance, such unfailing strength and gravity to match. The stories he had heard since childhood, not least of all from a devious Heron, were strange in their apparent reality. This Roscius was enough of a threat to compel a dire letter from Tullius. Not to mention one sent in conjunction with news and instructions about Penelope and her "personal mission". He still had no real idea of what that phrase could be referring to, but was resolved to carry out his orders as faithfully as possible. And that included making sure the young woman remained in the safest hands whenever she arrived.

Carius had been friends of Penelope's family for decades - since they were all very young children and constant playmates. His father, Lucius Serenus, had been a Legionnaire for about as long as Penelope's father Adrianus - the parents' friendship was equal in its longevity. And as such, he knew that her father was a member of the Penitus Oculatus. He wondered if the orders from Tullius pointed to something relating to that fact, hoping that whatever it was it was not horrific news. Adrianus had been something not unlike a godfather to him and news of his injury or gods forbid, his death, would be unspeakably difficult for him.

He had to wonder additionally why Heron had not said a word to him about Penelope's reason for being in the province. And then, he thought some more about the grisly discovery of the massacre's aftermath near the old ruins to the east and questioned whether this "Roscius" might have had something to do with that. It all was so coincidental, far too much so for it to be dismissed. His gut told him it was all connected in ways stranger than he could currently conceive of, and he grew more unsettled with each idea.

And so he shifted his thoughts again, noticing the rustic structures dotting the countryside some distance from the camp. He smiled as small children scampered about the greenery, pestering the cows and horses while adults chopped wood and sharpened weapons. Indeed, growing up in Cyrodiil was a world apart from what he suspected life was like in Skyrim. As he had looked around his contingent in the Rift, he noticed the numbers of humble farmers, fletchers, butchers and even some restless veterans. The Nords were a proud, robust people and he respected their courage and persistence. Civil war was always tragic and he regarded his Nord comrades-in-arms every bit as much his countrymen, his neighbors, as he did the other Cyrodiil-born Imperials.

The perhaps even sadder and still more ironic thing of course was the state of Talos: even in his own homeland, there were many who worshipped Tiber Septim, not least of all for being the founder of the Empire itself. Even the statue in the Arboretum remained, though the official line was one of secular reverence for his historical role and persona. All offerings to his divinity were promptly removed from the site as per the Concordat. But many continued to defy those terms. It seemed that it was not worth it to the Thalmor to police the locations on a daily basis. But when enough incense and flowers and gold trinkets and notes scribbled with prayers began to pile up at his feet, the shrine was hastily cleared.

Carius had always counted himself a devotee of Julianos and an amulet given to him by one of the priests in the chapel in Skingrad remained around his neck since he received it all of those very many years prior. It gave him some measure of comfort in such times. And it was a lasting reminder of home. Home. Normalcy. Warmth. All of the things he had had to leave behind in the name of the oath he swore to the Legion and the Emperor. He had sympathy for the Nords who fought most vigorously against what they and others regarded as the injustice of the treaty. But he like many others maintained that it was a necessary and impermanent concession. And he would fight for the future he believed Mede was trying to preserve with the Concordat's signature. Still, he clutched his amulet and thought to himself what he would do and feel if the Thalmor ever decided that his patron deity or any other of the rest of the pantheon needed to be dispatched as well. It would never happen. Not after Hammerfell and now Skyrim. Not again. Never.

Times were different now. It felt in every way like the calm before a great storm and he presently found himself facing the cutting winds and murmuring thunder. The cacophonous cracks, brilliant flashes of lightning and walls of pelting rain were on their way. And he wondered if this Roscius was a harbinger of sorts. Given his history in the Great War and his sinister reputation all of these years later, Carius could not help but perceive an odd parallel between the two things. The past had a rather nasty way of catching up and whatever happened with this mad soldier back in those years of appalling bloodshed and atrocities, it almost seemed poetic that he would resurface now. If the stories were true, they were amazing tales to be told. He would resurface in the time of another Great War veteran who sought to confound the Empire. One who had also been subjected to the oft-named 'evils of the elves'.

This Roscius was one who may well have some tie to the family of his two oldest friends, one of whom being the young woman he was charged with protecting at any cost from unknown threat. The young woman who was never far from his thoughts, even though he was not keen to admit as much. And his happy-go-lucky partner in crime for all of his life was also to receive special protection as a result of this very real, albeit faceless menace. The Breton's brilliant smile never wavered; the Imperial could sense it in every single one of his letters. Heron continued to share his mirth even amid these darkest of times, never selfish with private gloom. And Carius loved his dear friend for that for as long as they had known one another.

As images of a long-lost life in Cyrodiil blended with those of the strange, blood-spattered banner and the dead little girl's face, Carius shook his head sadly. And then looked up to the sky.

"Tell me," He asked softly, his ordinarily clear voice now nearly breaking, "...is this...punishment?"

…………..

The lapping waters reminded him of home. Rather, what he would call home, if he still felt obliged to call it that. Echoes of Cyrodiil emerged from the cool and briny breeze, the thumps of boats at distant docks and squawking seabirds overhead. He breathed it all in deeply, in spite of himself. But the pleasant chills were short-lived. Roscius had wandered along the murky coast near Solitude, humming softly and grinning at well-guarded secrets. The once clear blue sky had amassed clouds throughout the day and now, on the edge of evening, the heavens were hazy. Eyes, ever ghost-like in their gray depths, shone with the bits of light dancing on the waves. In the dimness the sea was wine dark, and the silhouette of Elisif's fair city upon the hill was a steadfast shadow in the fog. Those eyes narrowed and his teeth clenched as he glared at it, letting slip a small hiss.

He turned back toward the water, perched out on a cluster of rocks in front of the Solitude lighthouse. He stared off into the choppy waves, his grip tightening around an object in one hand. It caught the light, a chain falling loose from his fist. He held it up close to his face for a moment, to examine it with a scowl. Before long that scowl slackened into a frown. It was the pendant of the Legion, the same he had worn under his garments. The same silver dragon that he grabbed hold of that night in Falkreath, the night of that strange dog. And that disembodied voice. He grunted in sudden anger and raised his fist high in preparation to cast it into the waves, into final obscurity. Teeth clenched again and he pulled his fist back more, winding up for the toss. But his hand caught itself in mid-throw. As soon as it began to thrust forward, it stopped.

And he stood there, entire hand holding fast to the pendant, refusing to let it go despite all of the desperate urgings from his mind. Heart or soul or both would not allow it to fly free from his grip. Stinging tears formed in those ghost eyes and he trembled. And after a few moments holding it in the air, threatening the sea with it, he finally brought his fist down. He had clutched the pendant so tightly that the edges drew blood from his palm. And the crimson coated the metal here and there. He snickered to himself at the fittingness of it.

After glowering at the silver dragon, he sighed and returned it to its place around his neck and under his clothing. It would return to another kind of obscurity, this time. And he stared out at the sea, watching the dark waves shuffle under a shaded and faltering sun.

"One day I'll be rid of the cursed thing. When it's all done, I'll at last know freedom...no! Before it's done! Why delay deliverance?" He angrily muttered to himself.

He stepped closer to the water, treading carefully upon the jagged coastal rocks. His long cloak flapped behind him in the wind, and his hood followed. Dark hair streaked with grays whipped about, and his skin was very soon kissed by the moisture of the sea breeze. His glance became fixed upon his reflection in the waves, which seemed to calm as he approached. And he stared back at his gloomy image. As he looked, he saw his present reflection suddenly shimmer and shift. He watched with amazement and confusion as it was replaced with that of a much younger dark-haired man, the same striking eyes of slate and tanned complexion. The new and very familiar face gazed back, countenance devoid of life.

Before he completed a bewildered blink, the image melted away and changed again, this time reflecting an altogether different visage: that of a smirking, golden-haired High Elf woman. This face summoned fresh rage from the Imperial and he shook where he stood, summarily drawing his blade to use it on the image. But before he could make his way even closer for such a purpose, the reflection changed again. The kindly, careworn face of an older man replaced that of the Altmer woman. The particular collar of very fine robes pointed to a royal identity - and it was clearly a face that Roscius had never forgotten. The warm, gentle smile of the regal man was enough to again stop him in his tracks, his blade raised high but unable to be brought down. More tears stung his eyes, but still no weeping - though his lips did quiver ever so slightly at the sight of the elder man.

The power of the reflection in the water soon was enough to compel the Imperial to drop his sword at his side. It clinked and clattered onto the rocks, falling into a crevice. But Roscius was unconcerned. He knelt down, his already bloody palm smearing the sharp boulders as he positioned himself nearer to the water and the smiling face. But just as soon as he had, the image shimmered and dissipated. And he once again was met with his own haggard features.

Frustration grew and he growled, scrambling back to his feet and fumbling to retrieve his sword from between two rocks. He sheathed it and stood upon the boulders, snarling at the ever changeable waters and then at the struggling sun. He drew a deep breath, once more briefly reveling in the comforting scent. Shaking his head in muted protest or mockery, he shifted his gaze again to the smoky silhouette of Solitude. And chuckled. He imagined the spoiled, gilded residents in panic, screaming and running in desperation for their very lives - in undiluted terror. And the images pleased him: the bitter smoke, the brilliant fire and all under a stormy sky that would not aid them with rain but merely blasting thunder and deadly lightning. He could hope for the last; but the first was certain. Sure to come. The only question was that of timing.

Scraping of feet and jangling of metal off to the side triggered him to spin around and draw his blade. But his demeanor eased as he noticed certain details of the figure that had joined him by the water. Another man, about the same height and build and also wrapped in a long cloaked coat stood by grinning. An ebony sash around his waist snapped in the quickening breeze and Roscius could see the familiar initials painted upon it in brightest red: "M.I."

Roscius stepped forward to pose a question he had long been anxious to ask but nearly lacked the courage to - as he half-feared the answer.

"We...are returned, my brother?"

As the other man slowly nodded, his own very dark brown hair blowing across his face, Roscius beamed and turned to look up at Solitude a final time.

The two stood silently upon the rocks, waves lapping and spraying behind them. And then, the low murmur of rolling thunder.

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
I'm getting the feeling the Manes Imperii is going to be some sort of Imperial analogue to Ulfric's Markarth Incident... something the Empire desperately wishes to be swept under the rug. It's probably secret enough that Ulfric himself might not know about it (which would certainly explain his apparent lack of use of it in Stormcloak propaganda).

Just my two septims given the way Tullius/Maro seem to be talking about it.

Docta Corvina

I'm getting the feeling the Manes Imperii is going to be some sort of Imperial analogue to Ulfric's Markarth Incident... something the Empire desperately wishes to be swept under the rug. It's probably secret enough that Ulfric himself might not know about it (which would certainly explain his apparent lack of use of it in Stormcloak propaganda).

Just my two septims given the way Tullius/Maro seem to be talking about it.

Yeah, clearly it's something the younger Legionnaires only have half-heard about in campfire stories and such things. Roscius has been an urban legend of sorts. But as we will see, and as you rightly speculate, he has very serious implications for the Legion. His rather troubling history goes well beyond what many "in-the-know" even truly realize.

Hehe, just when you think you might have it all figured out, there are more twists and turns thrown. ;) No one really knows the whole story of any of it. Except me, of course. :p

I like keeping everyone on their toes. :cool:

Docta Corvina

Nota Bene: I think I'm going to put the history book (about the Great War's secrets) Rikke was reading up for download as a findable/buyable in-game book. Sort of another goodie for people reading who have the PC version. I'll put it up in another form as well. But I am excited. :D

bulbaquil

Nota Bene: I think I'm going to put the history book (about the Great War's secrets) Rikke was reading up for download as a findable/buyable in-game book. Sort of another goodie for people reading who have the PC version. I'll put it up in another form as well. But I am excited. :D

Ooh, yay. Where should it be found (both the download link and where the book would be)

Docta Corvina

Ooh, yay. Where should it be found (both the download link and where the book would be)

LOL Bulba, I haven't even written it yet. Easy there, friend! :p I'll give you the info as soon as I have it. Something tells me the Orc librarian at the College of Winterhold will have it for sale, and maybe it'll also be found somewhere in Castle Dour. :D

Docta Corvina

The cast of this strange odyssey is growing by the day. I just...had to mention that. It's bewildering to me how huge the project has gotten in my mind. :eek:

It's exciting too! :p

bulbaquil

The cast of this strange odyssey is growing by the day. I just...had to mention that. It's bewildering to me how huge the project has gotten in my mind. :eek:

It's exciting too! :p

Heh - the whole "cast of characters" album project is going to really help, I think <3

Kynareth

I have to say that I am enjoying this story very much and I am looking forward to your next chapter! I also can't wait to see the inclusion of this "cast of characters" you mentioned. Should be very interesting... :D

Docta Corvina

I know I'm gonna psyche people out with this post ("Kathodos" alert :O), but I just wanted to say that I'm hard at work finishing the next chapter. I have been trying my best to get these posted on the weekends on a biweekly schedule, but this past week has just been positively insane for a variety of reasons. But Chapter 14 is quite near completion and will most likely be posted tomorrow afternoon/evening. :)

Thanks again for all of your continued support, and I'm thrilled to keep going on this journey! :D

buggegirl99

you are amazing! i write and i won't be able to be as good as you! write a book!!!!!!!!:D

Rekamennos

Account closed
So I am caught up :D Finally! Told you I read slow...:oops:

hopefully I can give you reputation points again... I loved it. :)

Docta Corvina

Chapter 14

The Dwarven Centurion they had battled the day before had been a long and tiring engagement. But the tactics utilized had proven wisely chosen. The great metal foe had eventually yielded under the relentless blades of the two Bretons, even though the sword-wielders themselves had spent nearly every last bit of strength against their mark. The towering automaton would hiss and clank and grumble as it staggered, possessed by uncanny determination to stay on its feet and to keep fighting. But all things have a limit and shortly before the Bretons found theirs, the machine collapsed to the ground in a groaning roar. This time it was Penelope’s turn to pull Mercer from the path of certain death as the Centurion came down only very narrowly missing the thief. The clouds of dust and steam soon settled and though he glared at her and shook himself loose from her grasp, he was more than thankful for her fleetness of foot. He could swallow his pride, just this once – remaining alive was far more important.

Both panted heavily, their shallow gasps growing fuller with time. But it would not be enough to truly return to their standard battle-readiness. And they soon collapsed on the floor some distance from the dysfunctional Dwemer construct. Exhaustion and great hunger forced them to disregard the lingering dangers evident in the scampering shadows and shuffles in the gloom. For it was going on their second day in the cave and they had since finished the meager rations Penelope carried with her. The bits of meat and precious gulps of water had been hastily consumed. And now, they were at the mercy of the cavern’s natural offerings, in all of their sparseness. Stomachs rumbled and lurched as they had stood gasping for breath. Penelope had not been able to help squeaking out a small laugh, out of nervousness, the rush of adrenaline or the absurdity of the entire situation – maybe all three. She was pleased to see that not even Mercer was immune to it, and let pass a smirk of his own. There was no doubt in her mind that it was not long lived; as soon as the Cistern saw their faces again, it would surely be business as usual, including all of the non-existent patience on his part. So she would enjoy it now, for as long as it lasted. Perhaps, she thought, being so close to death and saving each other’s lives had been enough to ease some of that rancor in him for good.

Just a little. A tiny bit…

When they awoke the next day, they did so with a start - the Centurion, though lying in a twisted heap, yet looked able to spring to its feet and renew its assault. They were grateful that it remained disabled but eyed it warily nonetheless. Both Bretons were stiff from sleeping on the very hard ground and hands gingerly rubbed backs and necks as they stood. Both teetered slightly, weakened as they were. But they forced themselves to steady, drawing strength from the hopes of finally leaving the infernal cave and its secrets behind. Penelope was the first to chuckle despite a parched throat, smiling wearily.

“Well…I don’t know about you…but I don’t believe I have the strength left for another one of those. You...might be on your own if they're hiding another one somewhere ahead.”

“Ha! Well, I figured I’d have to do most if not all of the actual fighting in this damned place anyway. I’m used to it.”

“Good gods, even you will be out of commission soon if we don’t find anything to eat. That should be our next immediate task. Hell, I’ll even try some Chaurus meat if it comes down to it!”

“Chaurus meat, eh? Yes, well, we might not need to get that drastic. Falmer are definitely here, I saw two of them just before that thing woke up.” He gestured to the ruined automaton with narrowed eyes. “You can stake your life on the fact that we’ll be seeing them again sooner than we like. I actually can't believe they didn't sneak up on us while we slept.”

“What do they have to do with us finding food? You saying you’d be willing to eat Falmer meat?”

She smirked, knowing full well what the reaction would be. She was growing to appreciate - far more than fear - the growling irritation the Breton man issued on a constant basis. It amused her. And the more time she spent with him, the more she wanted to deliberately raise those all too susceptible hackles. In typical form, Mercer sensed this shift in demeanor and attitude and it still annoyed him. Where had the trembling, nervous young woman from that first day in the Cistern gone? No doubt she had been growing more comfortable. And he found it altogether disquieting.

“Such a clever wench, aren’t you?”

“Well, what else was I to gather from that very poorly articulated segue?”

Obviously, if the Falmer are thriving in here, there’s bound to be a food source that perhaps even a pampered brat from Cyrodiil could stomach.”

“You know, you really have a bad habit of assuming things, especially about me.”

“Well, correct me then. In fact, why don’t you finally tell me who you really are and what you’re really doing here? And I mean besides moonlighting with the Legion, for whatever pleasure it brings you.”

“I have a better idea: how about I tell you what I’m doing here, really, and you tell me why you’re so damned angry all of the time, hmm? Who are you really, Mercer Frey? It’s about time you told somebody.”

I am your Guild Master, that’s who I am. And as such, you're gravely mistaken if you think you're in any position to make demands on me. So save your breath!” He snapped at an unfazed Penelope.

"Bah, when will you ever learn to calm down, you old fool?! Even now, you're in a cave, with no assurances of ever getting out either due to unwinnable battles or starvation, and you're still yammering at me about the Guild! I never got the impression you were even that fond of the whole thing really. Like it was merely a means to an unknown end. What is it, really?"

"You..." He paused to sneer. "You're far too meddlesome for your own good. Keep poking your nose where it doesn't belong and you're bound to find it cut off one of these days."

"Argh, with you, it really is no better than talking to a wall! I said I don't care what you do in the Guild, with the Guild, whatever! I've had no pretensions about its many roles, many of which I likely have no conception of, and I'm quite happy to leave it at that! You can stop being so rabidly paranoid, so fanatically distrustful. Believe me when I tell you I have far bigger fish to fry in this land."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. Yes, it is! And I believe we've already had some variation of this discussion!"

"We'll see, girl. I don't take well to surprises, never have. Let that be a friendly warning."

"Whatever you say..."

Penelope shot him an angry glance, to which Mercer responded with one of his own and an especially loud "Hmpf". And then, they marched on. Their bickering had become so commonplace, it almost seemed not so dissimilar to a sort of sport. It was certainly not something Mercer was used to, having long enjoyed a fairly deferential if not quietly cynical group of thieves who may well have grumbled over their ale but kept their mouths shut when the orders were given and walked with their heads down around him. That was how he liked it. And while she seemed in line with the general expectation at the beginning, her pride became evident - that stubborn Cyrodiil pride that he saw her exude. He again derided Brynjolf for his eagerness to recruit the young woman - a move no doubt driven by her charisma, a supply of which matched that of the red-headed Nord. The girl had secrets. He himself had secrets. The interesting part for him would be seeing if and when those secrecies intertwined or crossed. Part of him welcomed such chaos. Longed for it, even.

The gates now open once again, they made their way into the next chambers. Their eyes were alert for Falmer and food alike, and even the glowing mushrooms along the walls which once repulsed now beckoned. Penelope harvested a few, placing them in her satchel - just in case. The following rooms were devoid of anything stirring, much to their relief and heightened suspicion. But they carried on, wondering how long and far the cavern would stretch on. The Dwemer portions already evident, Penelope suspected that it could not be too much longer before they reached the main corridors of the ruin. Of course that was only a meek hope. And she clung to it fiercely.

A few more large chambers later found them faced with a room seemingly even more vast than the one which housed the colossal Centurion. But this one echoed with a familiar roar and hiss of rushing water. And as they edged out along the cliff, they saw the falls rushing down into great pools below, the water pouring through grates identical to the one Penelope had stopped to examine earlier. They both couldn't help but marvel at the sight: the glittering basins, the thrashing, spraying mist of the falls and, at the far side of the chamber, another great figure. This one did not strike them with apprehension, however, as it had been fashioned into the walls. It was not a free agent with threats to spring to life. This was a decorative piece, but it was still breathtaking - long ago sculpted by the most adept of hands. Neither was sure precisely what the figure was supposed to represent, though Penelope had suspicions that it might be a previously unknown statue of one of the fabled Snow Elves, prior to their grotesque Falmer form of the present. Its great hands were outstretched, mutely beckoning the two wayward adventurers forward. And they soon enough began to descend the cliff by way of metal steps along the side.

At the foot of the cliff they found short steps leading down into the blue-green pools. An exchanged glance was enough for mutual confirmation. And they both took a seat on the edge, to admire the visions before them, muse about their fate and share in confoundment. Uncommon silence passed between them, leaving only the sounds of the crashing falls and their swords clinking as they placed them at their sides on the ground. Even only a few feet separated them, those stubborn invisible walls seeming to shrink and shatter with each new interaction.

After an inaudible sigh and a plucking of courage, Penelope slowly turned to the lead thief.

"Have you...by any chance...heard the name 'Roscius Avienus'?"

"Huh?"

"Roscius Avienus?"

"I heard you the first time, just wondering why you would ask about something so random and yet, strangely specific. An Imperial, no doubt?"

"Yes. He's someone I think I need to find, someone with information. You know, it's strange. For the life of me, I can't place it - but I feel so much as if I've heard that name before, and with some kind of meaning beyond that of passing conversation."

"Strange, indeed."

"So, you ever heard that name before?"

"No. Then again, I don't make a habit of concerning myself with Cyrodilic nonsense."

"You just prefer the drama of the snowy Nordic homeland, eh?" That knowing grin of hers was back. And Mercer just rolled his eyes.

"Indeed."

"How long ago since you left High Rock anyway? I've never seen it myself, but my mother has always had interesting stories to tell."

"Hmpf, your pathetic attempts at getting information from me are amusing, and sadly wasted. My business is my own. I'm here in Skyrim turning an impressive personal profit, and that's all you need to know. Being from Cyrodiil, I'd think you'd be all the more quick to respect the pursuit of coin."

Penelope looked over at the Guild Master who had leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and allowing his boots to rest in the water. He looked almost relaxed for once, at relative peace. It was a strange moment, to see him so quiet, so tame. She wondered what was turning in that mind of his. No doubt something was - something always was.

The Breton woman sighed and looked out into the rippling pools, reaching ahead to dip a hand into the cool water.

"I...I lost someone extremely dear to me. He fell in the icy wilds of this land. But I know not where. Or how."

"Come again?" Mercer turned to face the other Breton, noticeably intrigued.

"You...you've wanted to know why I'm here. I guess, after all we've been through together now, it's as good of a time as any to tell you what you should know. No more, no less."

"Getting sentimental on me now, are you? Well, don't. Would be just what I need."

"Not sentimental, practical. Civil."

"Yeah, alright. Go on. Spin your yarn, woman."

"My father...was a Legionnaire. He was sent here on some special assignment some months ago and...well, I got the letter from the Imperial courier one beautiful morning just after working our farm outside Cheydinhal."

"You...working a farm? You expect me to believe that tripe?"

Her dark eyes flashed with grief, her voice raw. "I honestly don't give a damn if you believe it or not! It was my mother and father's pride and joy. Gorgeous land, good strong animals...it was everything we needed. We didn't need...everything else that came later…"

"What?"

"My father was deployed here. And he was killed, in some unknown location. They didn't even retrieve his body. There's been absolutely no information about what happened. Of course people know things, but they've so far refused to tell me much at all. I've been asking in every place I've gone."

"So that's why you were in Solitude, eh? Suiting up with the Legion. Playing the reckless hero and trying to right all of the wrongs of your past in one fell swoop. Typical."

"Go on, make your fun of me. I don't care. All that matters to me is finding out the truth. Discovering what happened and why. And being able to bring him home, so we can all truly say goodbye. If the Legion is the answer, then so be it."

"This...this still doesn't quite explain why you're in the Guild. What does an association of thieves have to do with...well, what you're doing here? What's likely to happen, say, when the good folks back home find out about your...dalliances?"

She sighed deeply, looking pensively toward the ceiling of the chamber. "First off, I'd read and heard a great deal about Riften before I left home. I was made aware of the various Imperial networks there, including those implicit to the Black-Briar family. Admittedly, I'm no political savant, but I figured that a seedy city with various 'connections' of all flavors might be useful. I needed to do well in the Guild to forge those important bonds, if you will, and take advantage of them. As for the stealing part, well...that's a fair point. Frankly, I'd probably be disowned if anyone found out. Well, anyone other than my brother - he'd just find it fantastically humorous, as usual. I have been trying to do what I can in the meantime to give back. And I swear on my life I will make amends once this is finished. Sadly, it hasn't all panned out the way I imagined so far. Nothing has, to be quite honest. Not least of all...this situation..."

"Wait, you're telling me you were hoping Maven Black-Briar would have sympathy for your sob story and actually lift a finger to help you? Woman, what do they feed you people in Cyrodiil? Whatever it is, it's bound to give Skooma a run for its money!"

"So I was naive…at least I tried! And I'm not giving up. I'll die before I abandon my father to obscurity. Mark my words."

Her voice wavered with sorrow amid that solemn oath, but nothing in her was less than sincere in every syllable. She stared off into the water, eyes stinging. Mercer just sat watching her, resisting the urge to further mock her for what he deemed a childlike assumption about the way the world worked. He could not understand what gave her such hope, such drive in the face of so much devastation and disappointment. He'd seen more than enough in his life to know better - and to always expect the worst.

Still, as he noticed her hand grasp the hilt of her blade as it lay on the ground, and hold it across her lap, he realized he could learn to respect her for her dogged spirit. The same spirit that frustrated him to no end.

A great many and very different memories surfaced in both tired minds for several minutes, memories rising and fading to the sound of the gently roaring falls.

…………..

Brynjolf’s plan had been to depart from Morthal earlier in the day, as soon as first light would show him the way to Dragon Bridge. He indeed meant to and would have, had it not been for the throbbing headache and rolling stomach that confined him to his bed at the inn for several more hours than he desired. He knew he had spent the vastly greater portion of the previous evening drinking with the eccentric man, as well as imbibing before and after they simultaneously gulped down full tankards. He was not accustomed to the physical punishments of overindulgence and given this, it irritated him as much as it made him extremely reluctant to leave his bed. He was glad that no one from the Guild was around to tease him for this later, something which he knew would certainly become a favorite tale if known. Thinking about the Guild and its members, namely the ones still missing, reignited that customary grit in the Nord and he finally eased himself out of bed, gathered his things, and made way for the sleepy hamlet to the west.

The words of the stranger in the tavern, the ethereal Imperial Silanus, would echo in his head the entire way there. What he had initially tried to discount as nonsensical mutterings and charming riddles were beginning to hold a strange resonance. It was almost starting to make sense, though he knew neither how nor why.

Of course when he finally arrived it was evening, and the already very quiet settlement was even more devoid of life. Passing under the great stone dragon head above the bridge, he shook off strong chills. She had been here. And not long ago. But why? What would the Penitus Oculatus have to reveal to him? What would the good-humored young woman be shown to have been hiding for all of these weeks? He almost feared to find out, hoping that whatever it was, it was not too dire - and that they could all return to their comfortable normalcy soon enough. Normalcy that certainly included Mercer's acrimony and Penelope's stellar ability to excel in a calling she had literally walked into on that fateful day. True normalcy required nothing less than those details.

The uneasy steed slowly clip-clopped over the stone and into the town. As Brynjolf eased the animal to a stop, he noticed an older woman looking out from a partially opened door. After tying up the horse, he cautiously approached her and asked if she could point him toward the Oculatus outpost. She did so without so much as a sound of acknowledgement, her withered face etched by many years of worry. The Nord thanked her and walked up the path to a building with familiar flags lazily waving in the front.

Ascending the steps to the door, his heart quickened in his chest. Throat went dry. And he looked over his shoulder, half-expecting some sort of trouble. But there was only the breeze and the pleasing scent of smoke and meat burning. He drew a deep breath and gently rapped on the door. He figured that just entering after sundown might not be the wisest or safest course of action, thus he waited to be allowed in. And before long, he was greeted by the blankly staring face of a youthful Imperial, Maro’s ever reticent lieutenant. The man did not even question Brynjolf about his presence there, rather just simply letting him into the building. He did keep a firm gaze upon him, the blade at his side but a pull away if the visitor tried anything foolish.

Maro sat at the table, elbows propped up on the wood and one hand covering his eyes. The Imperial looked particularly distraught, to the point that Brynjolf pondered backing out of the building and maybe trying again a bit later. But the opportunity passed quickly as Maro noticed the Nord and spared him a half-glance as he remained sitting.

"How uh...how can I help you, friend? You lost?" His voice was leaden with fatigue and distress, and again it disconcerted the thief. Brynjolf himself actually was considerably nervous, though he was not sure why or if he even needed to be.

"Well, I think that would depend on if this is the Penitus Oculatus outpost or not? This…is it, yeah?"

"Yes, it is. What's your business?"

"Well...I…" Brynjolf looked down at the floor awkwardly, unsure of where and how to begin. His persistent headache also decided to sharpen its formerly dull pangs, and he did his best not to grimace too much. Thankfully Maro was always impressively perceptive and jumped up from his chair to play the part of gracious host.

"By the gods, where are my manners? Have a seat, friend. Come in from the cold awhile." He pulled out another chair for the Nord, and drew a fresh tankard for him as well. "The name's Maro, commander of this outfit. How can I be of service?"

Brynjolf, already having been oversaturated with drink not so long ago, merely blinked at the cup and its contents, feeling his stomach lurch somewhat. And so he quickly shifted his glance to meet that of the officer.

"I...believe you may have spoken to a friend of mine not long ago. I was told she came here looking for you all and I'm not sure why or what about. She's been missing for a few days now, no word. I thought you might be able to help me, at least tell me what she was after here."

"Let me guess..." Maro shut his eyes as he rubbed his forehead, vainly trying to stave off fresh, stinging pain of his own. "You're looking for the Breton girl?"

"Erm, well, yes actually!"

"Long black hair, brown eyes?"

"Aye, that's the one! You've seen her then?"

"Yes...yes, I've seen her. Just got back from Solitude not long ago having spoken about her. Seems everyone's concerned for her these days. And for damned good reason."

Brynjolf's face grew gray with dread; the officer's speech and tone were simultaneously alarming. “I’ll admit…I'm afraid to ask what you mean by that...”

“You’ll have to understand, I cannot discuss details with you, as you’re not in the Legion – at least not to my knowledge or reckoning – and you’re not family. You’re an acquaintance. That is, until someone can vouch for you otherwise.”

Not family…not family…why does everyone keep saying that? Damn it all, family’s not just about blood!

“Actually, I would consider myself more than an acquaintance. I’d say more like a business partner and a friend. And I’ve been riding for days trying to find out something, anything to give me peace of mind that she’s alright. I beg your pardon, but I don't need cagey, coded words, I need something that will help me find Nell and get her back to safety!”

“Nell?”

Penelope.”

“Alright, alright…” Maro grumbled, at last convinced by the thief's focused and glinting eyes. He had always been something of a gifted spotter for nobility of character and knew, somewhere in his soul perhaps, that the visitor was not being deceitful. He had to trust his proverbial gut, which rarely failed him. “These old bones of mine tell me that you’re genuine. I'm sure you realize we can’t be too careful these days. None of us. It's dangerous times we're living in, exceedingly dangerous. There are way too many swindlers and tricksters and assassins running wild in this backwater and we’ve got to keep things as low-key as humanly possible.”

"I understand that. My only concern is finding out where she is and making sure she's alright."

"And that’s good. Excellent, in fact. She needs all the people looking out for her that she can get right now. And you’ll need to do the friendly thing by strongly encouraging her to get out of Skyrim as soon as possible.”

Brynjolf had not been sure what to expect when he came to the Oculatus outpost. He had not even been sure if he would be given audience by the inhabitants. But Maro's very particular words were the last things he expected to hear about his friend. What was she hiding, what was happening, and who was endangering her? Who were these nameless, faceless monsters in the dark?

True to his adamancy, the commander refused Brynjolf's repeated pleas for further details. The Imperial only left him with the clue that she had friendly connections in Solitude and he might well try there with some luck. Beyond that, there was simply nothing more to tell.

And as there was nothing more to tell, the Nord left the outpost and Dragon Bridge with heart and mind equally vexed. He did not care that it was evening now as he took the road to Solitude. The calls of restless beasts in the night were but a passing concern. On the one hand, he was relieved to have something more to go on, some better indication of what accounted for her being occupied away from the Guild. But on the other hand, he felt like she had just become that much more of a stranger to him. No doubt there were things they all kept secret. But given this as an apparent matter of life and death...how could she have hidden it so? More striking yet, how could she bear that brilliantly warm smile amid it all? How could anyone shoulder a burden like that alone?

The lights of Solitude upon the great hill would give him some comfort in the misty night. But even despite the satisfaction of an overly plush bed at the inn there, Brynjolf would find no rest.

…………..

“Why am I only hearing of this now?”

Heron leaned back in his chair in front of the fire pit, the spitting and flickering flames reflecting in those copper eyes. And he crossed his arms. Heron was troubled. For anyone that knew him, it was recognized to be a very rare occurrence. But on the occasion that it did happen, when something struck him to the core, it was profound indeed. After the news of their father’s death, delivered by his sister several days prior, the indication of yet another distressing situation involving his family not only shocked and saddened him, but angered him.

The more dour Legate of the Hjaalmarch camp, however, was not especially interested in the younger soldier's indignation.

"Legionnaire, need I remind you that there is a war happening? Not everything revolves around notifying you of the comings and goings of the army and those part of it." He had intended to leave his comments there, but quickly resumed as soon as he saw the Breton's mouth fly open for retort. "Your sister took the oath and was sworn in. She's to remain at the camp in the Rift and that is all you are authorized to know at this juncture - as per General Tullius himself."

"General Tullius?! You're joking! You've gotta be..." Legate Duilis turned and crossed his arms, his already sour expression deepening in its gravity.

"Folks in high places are looking out for you and yours, soldier. Pretty damned humbling if you ask me. Count yourself extremely lucky."

"Wha…by the gods...what is going on? It’s really not just a bad dream…” Heron's voice trailed off in the night breeze and as he slumped over in his chair, looking vaguely helpless and adrift in his thoughts, the Legate was inspired to show a bit more compassion. Sighing, he gestured to Heron to accompany him to the commander's tent.

"Follow me, son..."

The Breton did as asked, extremely curious as to what, if anything, would be divulged. He did not have to wonder for long as the Imperial officer placed both hands on the map table and spoke quietly, but clearly.

"There are things that your late father - Divines rest his soul - probably never mentioned about his post in the Oculatus. It's no secret their chief concern has always been to see to the Emperor's security, and to eliminate any and all threats. Well, the rules changed as soon as the threats starting coming from within. From those sworn to fight for him and give their lives for the homes and lands we hold dear."

"Now wait…you mean to tell me…you can’t be serious..." Heron himself was so shocked by the legate’s words, he found himself losing his balance, half-dizzy. “All those old stories, the stupid games we’d play as kids…you’re telling me, right here, right now, there’s some truth to them?!”

"I’m not here to declare truth, un-truth or anything in between, soldier. The fact is that there were those in the army who began to see betrayal written in every bit of parchment passed among royal hands. When the war ended, these men were unleashed. You see, this war we're fighting now is but a symptom. The rebel leader, Ulfric Stormcloak himself is a symptom of a disease contracted during the Great War, of which I know your father was also a veteran. And it is why he was sent here to deal with these threats. He had a keen knowledge of their methods of operation, as well as their motives. He was, in ways, more personally connected than most dispatched here to deal with reining the mad dogs in."

"What are you really saying? And what does whatever he was doing here have to do with Pippa and me? I don't understand this!"

Legate Duilis looked at the younger soldier with glistening eyes, eyes that no doubt had seen that which he related now in these moments. And it triggered chills up and down the Breton’s back.

"We are being haunted by ghosts of our past, son. Deranged ghosts we thought had long since fallen away and found Oblivion. But they've resurfaced. And you and your family are in great danger as a result."

"The hell are... Crazy ghosts?! It's nonsense! You're talking nonsense!"

"It is what it is, soldier. We all have to acknowledge what happened, and see it through."

"Wha-we didn't ask for any of this! We didn't even want him to leave this last time...why for Mara's sake did he take such a mission?!"

Heron was remarkably close to allowing very bitter tears to fall, but he turned to wipe them before they escaped. Legate Duilis sighed once more and shook his sadly. The agony in the other man's voice was palpable. But he figured that with that agony would come fortified resolve. It would take everything they had to face the twin threats of Ulfric's war and that of the men who drew their renewed strength from shadow and nightmare.

"I'm afraid I cannot say much more, in the interests of your safety and that of all the other men here. But it is something to bear in mind. Stay alert, and know that your sister will be receiving the same special protections very shortly. Keep all that you've been told about this matter very close to the chest. Don't be too ready to trust anyone out here. Not until the all-clear has been given. We can only hope and pray that happens sooner rather than later. No one can take much more of any of this."

Legate Duilis clapped a friendly and reassuring hand on Heron's shoulder. But it was not enough to dispel the worry, the confusion, the fear and the burgeoning anger. It was only the thoughts of his dear friend, Carius, Praefect of the camp over the mountains, which encouraged a smile.

"Pippa's...going to the Rift Camp, you said?"

The Legate nodded, and Heron's smile turned into a full-fledged smirk. "Heh, well, then, I know she'll be in good hands. He won't let her out of his sight, and that's a fact. He never could. And as they say, some things never change." He winked.

The Imperial returned the smile and Heron left the tent, heading for his own bedroll toward the other side of the camp. He did not get far before a voice slowed him to a stop. It was not an unfamiliar voice, just one that he was not used to hearing address him. Nonetheless Heron was always amiable enough to stall for conversation.

"A lot on your mind this night, brother? You look tired and, dare I say, somewhat vexed."

The Breton turned to see the smiling face of one of the other soldiers, an Altmer – something of a rarity in the army, but nonetheless a proud recruit. Arondor considered himself a refugee from the Summerset Isles, having left it all behind at the start of the Great War. While not an overly talkative sort, the little he did say often involved a venomous indictment of the Thalmor. It was reassuring, of course. And the men who fought alongside him appreciated that he shared their disdain. And while he did not speak to the Breton much, he had been impressed with and inspired by his persistent contentment, even despite his present circumstances. Heron greeted the other soldier with a cheerful though tired smile, not quite suppressing a yawn as he spoke.

“Eh, you could say that. It’s… it’s been an eventful week.”

“Oh, dare I ask how so?”

“Ah, well, there’s quite a lot to tell and I fear we both should get to sleeping soon. From what I hear, though, we have an interesting next few days in store. They’re saying Ulfric has designs to march on Whiterun. Can you believe it? The stones on that one!” Heron snickered, face newly aglow with mischief.

Arondor laughed, his own golden eyes gleaming in the torch light. “Indeed! We’ll see that traitor’s head roll before the end, you can bet on that.”

“We can hope so! Then we can all go home! And leave this nasty business behind. Gods know I’m more than ready to…”

“I can’t…go home…but I can build a new one. Maybe here. Maybe, perhaps better yet, in Cyrodiil. One of these days, friend, you should tell me about your home. I’ve longed to see it in its entirety.”

Heron abruptly offered the Altmer soldier a small flask of some kind of wine. The elf happily partook as the Breton looked on, that trademark smile broad once more.

“Oh, gods-willing, there will be time for that. Once this is all over, maybe you can even come visit, have a meal or two with us. I’ll show you around.”

“That would be most excellent.”

“Just gotta survive all of this first…I guess it’s all any of us can do really. Just…survive it.”

The two parted ways for the evening and the Breton wound up returning to his seat in front of the fire, swigging a finishing gulp of ale. And he soon fell asleep to the hypnotic sight of the popping flames.

…………..

Sharp howling jolted the Rift's Praefect from a much-needed though most definitely insufficient dozing in the night. He had fallen asleep over the map in the commander's tent, keen to take his mind off of things he currently had no control over and instead to plan for the future. Whisperings of Ulfric's desire to storm Whiterun was one such dire bit of news that he turned over in his mind and he was always focused on a contingency plan should he and his men be summoned to fight as support. And it was that point in his weary musings that his exhaustion caught up with him and following his hands, his head found the table. But the shrill yelling in the darkness shattered that light rest and he leapt to his feet.

Torches burned, as did the fire pit, but it was scarcely enough light to illuminate the form of a man staggering toward the middle of their camp. The man wailed and groaned, clutching his side. A few soldiers rushed to come to the stranger's aid, assuming he had been a victim of highwaymen or wild animals. Carius ordered that the man be escorted to the field doctor's tent, and that water be retrieved. He assured the man that he was safe now and would be well taken care of at the camp, urging him to calm himself despite the pain. It was clear from the man's build that he was not a Nord, though he could have been either a Breton or an Imperial. Lantern light soon illuminated the stranger's face he looked up from his freshly prepared bedroll in the physician's tent. Dark blue eyes stared out, seeming almost to twinkle despite their obvious affliction. Auburn hair framed a pleasant face dotted with a few freckles here and there. Clean-shaven and well-dressed in a long dark coat and fine gloves, he was an oddity in this neck of the wilderness. As the doctor removed the coat and began to examine the wound site, the man managed a weak smile and a chirpy tone.

"Ah, Divines bless you for your kindness. I thought I was done for out there! I...didn't even see them coming..."

The Praefect knelt down just outside the tent, relieved at the patient's optimism. "What's your name, friend? And who or what has attacked you?"

"My name..." There was evident hesitance on the part of the ailing man, who looked at Carius with wide, worried eyes. The officer was about to tell the man it was alright, that it was not necessary. But the other continued, albeit somewhat warily. "My name is...Quintus. From Bravil."

The city's name caused the Praefect's ears to perk up and his own eyes to widen with the wonder of familiarity. "Bravil, you say? By the Eight, you're a long way from home then, friend. What caused you to leave Cyrodiil and wind up in this predicament? Especially with a civil war going on?"

"Well, you see..." More hesitance. The man opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again. And took a deep breath and sighed. "It's rather a long story, you see. I'm...here to meet some old friends. They wrote me and told me to come here on this very date. Even though I reminded them that it was in fact war time and they must be out of their minds to want to have a holiday here now. But I went along with it, as always. And, well, here I am! Bloody and bruised for it. I'll be having a less than friendly chat with them when we do finally meet, I assure you of that!"

Carius looked quickly toward the front of the camp, as if expecting more unknown faces to emerge from the dark. None came. And he returned his attention to the man.

"Well, I certainly hope these friends of yours are in a safe place, or otherwise able to fend for themselves. There's been some fairly disturbing violence in this province recently and we don't want to see any other innocents getting injured or worse."

"Truly? I myself only had a brush with some especially persnickety bandits. But please do tell me, does a humble traveler from our homeland have much more to fear than that? Aside from rambunctious rebels, of course."

"It would seem so..." Carius watched as the man named Quintus very softly winced at the doctor's touch. The red-haired Imperial still smiled amid the pain, grinning through his injuries like a seasoned soldier.

"Ah, you're not cut too deeply, you're grazed. But all the luckier for you! You could have been in real trouble. Good thing the bandits who found you couldn't wield a blade worth a damn, eh?" The gray-haired physician squinted to focus on the bloody flesh once more before producing damp cloths to clean and bandages to secure.

After he was sufficiently patched up Quintus yawned with a great, almost catlike stretch. Carius noted the man's tiredness and he did what was to be expected.

"You're...welcome to stay here for the night, friend. You can move on in the morning, that is, unless you'd like to enlist. Not sure your friends would understand though." The Praefect chuckled, but he stopped as he saw the other man's grin drop to an absent frown. Then, a snicker.

"Hmpf, I've never left the Legion, really. It's been...years. Years of lingering, sadly clinging like tattered burial shrouds to dusty bones..."

The Praefect blinked. Heaviness washed over him, a weighty gloom. It was almost as if he could suddenly feel the malaise of the man's past – even hearing faint voices and weeping. "So sorrowful, it sounds..."

Quintus caught and held the other’s gaze with those sapphire eyes. "You have no idea, brother."

Carius shivered. But the trance was broken by a rushing recruit at his side. The young blond gasped out his words, like he had either been running for a great length of time or had been very recently frightened.

"Sir, I...I heard more about that man, Roscius Avienus! Was talking with some of the others... That banner we found...I...I think he might be connected somehow!"

Though he remained silent, Quintus' eyes shifted and flashed with the young recruit's revelation. Ever acute Carius noticed this, paired with what he thought was the faintest hint of an unsettling smirk that was quickly suppressed. Something was off about the man's demeanor, but he could not determine what. Carius wanted to write it off as tricks of the lantern light and his own fatigue. But he could not fully dispel the nagging, sinking feeling. He tersely addressed the recruit without even allowing his eyes to break away from those of the red-headed man.

"Legionnaire Liulfr, I need you to speak with the Quartermaster about the current supply of steel and leather right away."

"But, sir...I'm sure I saw him sleeping-"

"Then wake him."

"Sir, I..."

"Legionnaire, that was an order, not a request - off with you!"

Only then did Carius turn to face the Nord, who anxiously gulped and scrambled to the far side of the camp. The dark-haired Imperial watched the recruit run off, regretful for snapping at him and preoccupied with the latest developments. He wondered to himself what the infantrymen were saying now, what private knowledge they were letting slip in between draughts and patrol shifts. And why had they not been more forthcoming overall with what they knew. Why was the name 'Roscius Avienus' such a cursed one, as if it promised to summon fell spirits with its mere utterance? Hence why all who mentioned the name - in their adult years anyway - had always done so amid a harsh whisper.

Quintus, who had been sitting by admiring the Praefect in all of his quiet, contemplative refinement, found his turn to once more interrupt the musings.

"No need to worry about me - I'm loyal to our homeland, brother," He purred, "Your secrets are safe with me. I took the oath once years ago too."

"All the same, and with all due respect, it's best we don't discuss it further." Carius rose to leave, passing Quintus a blanket. "As I said, you are welcome to stay here overnight. But when first light comes, you should be on your way. If you need assistance getting to Ivarstead, we'll make arrangements as they are possible."

"I must thank you again, you really have been so kind to me. Strangers can't count on much these days, but you have gone above and beyond your station, brother. I am in your debt."

"It's no problem, friend. I'd expect anyone else to do as much for a wounded man in a land amid so much chaos." The Praefect turned to go back to the commander's tent, but Quintus softly chuckled behind him.

"Mmm, I believe I might actually be able to repay you..."

Carius stopped short in his tracks, spinning back around. "Repay me? It's not-"

"Indeed. About that banner the young man mentioned...well, you can save yourselves the guesswork, I can tell you what it is your men found...what it was that they stumbled onto in the night. It was incredible...all of that blood...all of that fire..."

As Quintus spoke, the face of the little girl with the slashed throat returned to the Praefect's mind, just as the acrid stench of smoke and burning flesh reoffended his nose and throat. The other man continued in his hushed, nigh melodic tones, grinning all the while.

"That banner, the standards carried by a force of nature not seen for decades. But nonetheless still very much alive. I saw it with my own eyes...I saw them..."

"Saw who?"

"The ones who were betrayed...only blood can atone for that which was stolen by sword and spell..."

"Who?!"

"The Manes Imperii..."

Carius clearly heard the other Imperial's voice. But those leering lips did not move. It was like an echo, a resounding impression in his head as he merely stared at him. Ensnaring. Bewitching. And as he shivered, Quintus chuckled again. And he watched the Praefect slowly back away from the tent, even as he finally laid down to contentedly stretch out upon the bedroll.

The officer would not take his eyes off of the man as he retreated in spite of himself, nearly tripping over chairs and scattered crockery - not even when he reached the camp's edge. He would stand and watch in perplexed and disconcerted silence. The night wind blustered and gave its own moaning whistle, rustling leaves and bushes under the evening sky. Somewhere not too far away, wolves howled and cried. Clouds crept past the brilliant and low-hanging moons, an eerie sight that won the attention of the Praefect for a few seconds. But it was enough time for the strange man, the auburn-haired Quintus, to somehow disappear completely from his place on the bedroll without so much as one soldier noticing him. In fact, as Carius reentered the camp, sensing something newly amiss, he made his way right back to the physician's tent. It now was empty again, the doctor himself fast asleep. No bedroll lay on the ground, no bloody bandages to the side. Not even the blanket he had handed over had been removed from its place on a nearby crate. There was no evidence at all that anyone had been treated there in several days.

As the wolves carried on with their bleak yowls and laments in the distance, all he could think about, besides his very chilling encounter of course, were the strikingly frank answers to riddles he still did not yet realize. He had read it in one of his beloved history books so many years ago: "for indeed, dearest reader, what use are answers when you know not the questions?"

“Silanus…what could you tell me about all of this now? What insight do you yet keep hidden in those dusty old pages?” His words were quickly carried into the chilly night wind. And he sighed.

The Praefect took a chair between the fire pit and the physician's tent. And suddenly wondered if he would eventually need to find a way, an excuse, to get to the storied College at Winterhold and its vast library. Outside of Cyrodiil, it was the only place he believed could hold the knowledge he sought. If the soldiers in his own outfit were barely speaking of such things in little more than harsh whispers, he hardly expected anything more from anyone else until Tullius’ promised "reinforcements" arrived. And it was anyone’s guess as to when they would manifest. He prayed to Julianos for a scholar's clarity. And hoped it would come sooner than he expected.

Docta Corvina

And so the Manes Imperii become even more mysterious :) <3

Hehe, I'm trying to let a teeny, tiny bit more info slip each chapter. I'm resisting the urge to just pull the lid off of it all in all of my excitement. :p

I personally am looking forward to more Quintus. And Roscius too. Those two together in the same scene will be...FUN, to put it mildly. :D

Kynareth

Ooooh, so the plot thickens even more! And more Pen/Mercer banter... always amusing those two. Poor Brynjolf though, he's worried sick.

Great chapter, as always! :D

Docta Corvina

I'm glad you all are enjoying it! It took a bit longer to post - as it was a much longer chapter :p - but I'm pleased that it sounds like the wait was worth it!

This week I'll be working on character portraits and additional information sheets, the first of which may be found in my "Kathodos" album. I'll also go ahead and get started on my next chapter.

Randomly, I heard a certain Jimi Hendrix song for the first time ever on the radio during my drive home from work yesterday. It gave me chills how much the sentiment reminded me of themes from my story. I know I likely hear/see my story everywhere these days because of how engaged I am with it, but it was still haunting. It's quickly found a place on my personal soundtrack for this story and its creation, that's for sure.

Will the wind ever remember
The names it has blown in the past
And with its crutch, its old age and its wisdom,
It whispers, "No, this will be the last"

- - "The Wind Cries Mary", Jimi Hendrix

Docta Corvina

Because people were asking here and there...I've finally added a note on the first entry about the etymology and meaning of the title of this story, "Kathodos". If you're interested. :)

Chapter 15 is currently under construction. :D

Atmora

Great work once again :) Looking forward to the next chapter!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
27586392.jpg

I love it, no words to describe it.